Stolen HDS Equipment

Report any stolen pieces of kit or equipment here to try and help recover these items.
felice
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: felice napolitano
Company Details: MSA Ltd
Company Position Title: Operations Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Stolen HDS Equipment

Post by felice »

Stolen Equipment

Stolen Equipment

Note that we have had our HDS6000 scanner, it’s charger box kit and a total station stolen from a car on site. Police and insurance have been notified etc.

HDS6000 (Serial no 651) and a 802 power (Serial No 251301)

It happened in north London off Dalston Lane on Friday 19.08.11. Kit stolen from car after we suspect that the team were watched all day!!

Any news please report to MSA LTD 020 8770 3390
SteveBury
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Bury
Company Details: Bury Associates Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Stolen HDS Equipment

Post by SteveBury »

Sorry to hear about this felice.
There can't be many surveyors in the UK, particularly those working around London, who aren't aware of all the kit that is now being stolen. There can't be many other opportunities for thieving toe-rags to get hold of such valuable, easily transportable items than by targeting surveyors. I've heard of people employing security guards now on some sites to watch over the kit, but I've also heard a story of a surveyor returning to find the security guard stood there with no instrument beside him anymore. Someone had come up and told him he was having the total station he was guarding. He told them he couldn't, only to be informed "We can do this the easy way, or the hard way". The hard way involving violence, so he let him take it!
Many of us are getting concerned about what will happen if/when we get kit stolen. A total station can usually be replaced quite quickly but some scanners can take months to replace and one wonders if insurance companies are always going to pay for hire costs until a replacement arrives. This trend will inevitably mean much higher insurance premiums for everyone too.
I'd be interested to know your insurance company deals with this over time and what the true costs in terms of downtime, lost data etc. are. That sort of information would certainly help any of us to plan to deal with having our own scanners stolen should it happen.
Chances are your scanner will turn up somewhere eventually. Stolen total stations often turn up sooner or later (Ebay in Romania is a favourite place!) and scanners will be a lot harder to dispose of. No-one is going to spend tens of thousands of pounds on something that they won't be able to get serviced or repaired when necessary.
mmarsault
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Matthieu Marsault
Company Details: Murphy Surveys Ltd.
Company Position Title: Laser Scanning Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Stolen HDS Equipment

Post by mmarsault »

around Paris, the thieves follow you all day and wait for the best moment to steal the instruments. A employees of a friend have seen their car getting broken by 3 guys all dressed in black with gloves and hoods. they took everything and they knew what to take (cards, batteries, antennas etc...). As reported by one the directors of regional board, they do that on command from east europe.

For the scanner, I agree with Steve, the need of support on this kind of instrument is too important to take such a risk.

Hope its gonna fine for you :?

Return to “Report Stolen Kit”