Problem with Register360 regarding colors while exporting pointcloud

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
alexchiriac_adp
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Alex Chiriac
Company Details: Atelierul de puncte
Company Position Title: Architect
Linkedin Profile: No

Problem with Register360 regarding colors while exporting pointcloud

Post by alexchiriac_adp »

Hello again!

I have a problem with the 2023 version of the Register360 regarding the export of colored pointclouds (I tried .pts, .las, .ptg, .ptx, .e57). I have the latest version of the software (2023.0.2).

The problem is: when I export the pointcloud, if I have all the scans colored, there will be no problem, it will export the cloud colored. If I have even 1 greyscale scan among another 100 color scans, it will export the cloud as if all the scans were greyscale. I tried to import the clouds into Cloudcompare and they don`t have any RGB data associated. The workaround to this bug (or maybe some wrong settings?) I found is to export my clouds separately ( export all the greyscale and all the colored scans), import them together in Cloudcompare and unify, then export them as a single pointcloud.

The biggest issue is that we are modelling using ArchiCAD and when I import the cloud exported directly from Register360, they will be displayed full black (not even greyscale). The temporary solution I found to this one is to import the cloud to Cloudcompare first and "convert" them to RGB. This way the clouds will appear greyscale in ArchiCAD.

This is something new, since I didn`t have any problem exporting mixed (greyscale and colored scans combined) clouds from Register360 in the 2022 version before. Did any of you guys encounter this kind of issue with the newest version of the software?
Alex Chiriac,
Architect and Co-Founder @Atelieruldepuncte.ro
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Problem with Register360 regarding colors while exporting pointcloud

Post by badam »

As for the bug you have i don't really know what to say, but the archicad one which you solve by applying rgb colors from intensity is a known problem fro me at least. Archicad cannot handle intensity values it can only work with RGB values.

As for exporting separatelly, i'd never export unified cloud straight from any registration software i'd do the subsampling/merging in downstream apps like cloud compare, and command line through pdal. it is way faster and no issues with it. like you said :D

As for new version of register 360 we still use 2020.1 :D best one so far.

but thanks for another reason not to upgrade. :)

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”