I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Geoff Thompson
Company Details: 3sixty Measurement Ltd
Company Position Title: Principle Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

FARO PREMIUM ACCURACY ISSUE

Post by Geoffft »

Hi,

We have recently aquired a Faro Premium Scanner and have noticed the accuracy decreases quite noticeably when the lens gets only a small amount of dust on it and registration becomes a problem. We have to clean the lens after every site visit to ensure that it will be in good working order for the next job. If we are on a site where renovations are taking place or a construction site then we now will take a different scanner as we cannot clean the lens every 2 or 3 scans. We have owned faro scanners for a long time now and the lens would pretty much only have been cleaned when they went in for service.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Re: FARO PREMIUM ACCURACY ISSUE

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Can't believe what I just read.

Yes you need to clean the lens on site, from old to new Faro scanner its all the same. Yes dust affects accuracy, its common sence.
Just take a habit of looking at the lens before starting the scan and clean it when needed. Cleaning lens only once a year might work if you scan in dust free environnement and I am suprised you could even last that long. Propper care and maintenance of the equipement is basic in any surveying field.

Other scanners might not have this issue, Riegl for example with how the scan are designed do not suffer from this. I wouldn't base this as a deal breaker for only this, you just need to be better at scanning, the scanner is not as much the issue here as the survey technician is.

We clean lens daily, if the environnement is not dusty we don't need clear the lens as often (i.e. an office). However I have surveyed in environnements where I clean the lens after every scans.

We use these swabs; https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/aw/d/B07S ... asin_image
We dont even turn off the scanner, just dont force the lens and be gentle. Keep the swab in its package to keep it clean and take it out when needed, takes 10 seconds to clear the dust on the lens.
Geoffft
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Geoff Thompson
Company Details: 3sixty Measurement Ltd
Company Position Title: Principle Surveyor

Post by Geoffft »

Hi,

Sorry, maybe I should have been slightly clearer. We own faro scanners from old to new and have always cleaned them when necessary.

My point is we have found that the new Faro Premium has a much more sensitive laser than previous versions and was wondering if anyone else has noticed this? We use more than one type of Faro scanners on site at the same time and the results are noticeable.
Justin Richards
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: JUSTIN RICHARDS
Company Details: Tribrach Solutions
Company Position Title: Survey Tech

Post by Justin Richards »

I have not noticed a difference between Faro scanners but I try to keep the lens super clean on all the scanners, especially for floor analysis. I also use the 24mm Sensor Swabs with a lens cleaning solution and if I think it's possible, I will ask people around to keep the dust down while I'm in the area
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager

Post by Kruse »

Justin Richards wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:38 pm I have not noticed a difference between Faro scanners but I try to keep the lens super clean on all the scanners, especially for floor analysis. I also use the 24mm Sensor Swabs with a lens cleaning solution and if I think it's possible, I will ask people around to keep the dust down while I'm in the area
What are these sensor swabs you mentioned? We run both RTC 360's and FARO's, in the rare instance we need to wipe down the mirror, we just use a very soft microfiber rag. Are these sensor swabs better at maintaining a streak free/lint free finish?

I've always been paranoid about cleaning the mirrors as it seems as though there is a coating of some sort on the glass. Just curious if anyone knows if those coatings are on the outside or inside of the glass and if there is a cleaning solution that's for sure safe to use??
Justin Richards
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: JUSTIN RICHARDS
Company Details: Tribrach Solutions
Company Position Title: Survey Tech

Post by Justin Richards »

Kruse wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:45 pm

What are these sensor swabs you mentioned? We run both RTC 360's and FARO's, in the rare instance we need to wipe down the mirror, we just use a very soft microfiber rag. Are these sensor swabs better at maintaining a streak free/lint free finish?

I've always been paranoid about cleaning the mirrors as it seems as though there is a coating of some sort on the glass. Just curious if anyone knows if those coatings are on the outside or inside of the glass and if there is a cleaning solution that's for sure safe to use??
Like these....
https://www.amazon.com/AAWipes-Sensor-C ... B082PSFW4K

I use the optics cleaning solution from Amazon or the included solution inside the Faro case. I was extremely nervous when I first started doing it but now it's part of my routine when setting up the scanner. I verify in good lighting there is nothing large that could scratch then open a new swab and put a couple drops on each side the wipe it. I was using lens wipes before and I hated them, they didn't do a good job and I never felt comfortable using them.

Return to “FARO”