I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Andrew Cosgrove
Company Details: C-SE Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Scanning solar panels with RTC360

Post by C-SE »

Morning all, quick question.

Does anyone have experience of a scan involving PV (solar) panels? I'm curious as to the effect, if any, they have on the scan results, given they are literally designed to absorb as much light as possible? I have a job coming up, part of which will involve trying to ascertain the flatness of a series of roof panels, and I'm wondering if I can expect any issues from the RTC360 data?

Thanks
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Re: Scanning solar panels with RTC360

Post by badam »

C-SE wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:54 am Morning all, quick question.

Does anyone have experience of a scan involving PV (solar) panels? I'm curious as to the effect, if any, they have on the scan results, given they are literally designed to absorb as much light as possible? I have a job coming up, part of which will involve trying to ascertain the flatness of a series of roof panels, and I'm wondering if I can expect any issues from the RTC360 data?

Thanks
hello here are some photos about pv systems scannned with rtc360. But to be sure i'd check it after the first scan. if it looks alright, then ok. However, to create flatness, that is i think an another story. Because i didn't checked the noise level at these setups, but i'm sure it will vary between panels, angle of incident, range and other factors. So the best answear you get with trying it out.
pv_panel_scan1.PNG
pv_panel_scan2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JNally
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Joe Nally
Company Details: EPS
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by JNally »

I scanned some solar Panels on a job in 2021 with an RTC, I found it didn't do a bad job with it. If you make sure you scan off angle. It should give you a good enough result. If you are in doubt I would put a line of masking tape along the middle of the panel. Same would apply if you had to scan something with a very reflective surface.
C-SE
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Andrew Cosgrove
Company Details: C-SE Ltd
Company Position Title: Director

Post by C-SE »

Thanks for the responses, those pics are a big help, much appreciated
andre8
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Andre
Company Details: Mine
Company Position Title: PhD student

Post by andre8 »

I haven't done exactly what you're asking, but I've worked with scanning stuff before and know that shiny or reflective things can sometimes mess with the scans. Since solar panels are made to soak up light, they might not mess up your scans too much, but how they're made could still make a difference. When you're trying to see if the roof panels are flat using the RTC360, how the light hits them and the time of day could change how well the scans work.

I got curious about solar panels for my place a while back and looked at https://solargenerators.to for info. The site helped me determine what kind of solar setup would work best for me, including stuff I hadn't considered.

Return to “General Chat”