I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Tatiana Livshits
Company Details: Arini Geographics
Company Position Title: Geospacial Operation Associate
Linkedin Profile: Yes

BLK360 data import (newbie questions)

Post by LITA_232 »

Hello everyone,

We are a small GIS company. We bought Leica BLK360 in 2018, and only now has a person (it's me) who will be in charge of the device. Doing the research about how to import data from the scanner, I found that 2 apps are not available anymore: BLK360 app for iPads and ReCap. When I download data from the scanner to the desktop using Data Manager, I got them in .blk format, which is not supported by any open source post processing software. Am I right that we have 2 options: buying Matterport subscription, or buying Register 360 subscription? I read a lot of negative posts about Matterport, but Register subscription price is probably too high for us. What workflow would you recommend in our case?
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: BLK360 data import (newbie questions)

Post by badam »

Well there is a register 360 blk edition which is only capable of handling blk devices like blk360g1 blk360g2, blk2go, blk2fly,blkarc.

It can publish recap files as well. Not like with the full register 360 which can handle all sort of inputs like e57, ptx, laz, rtc360, p series, etc...

And the blk edition is cheaper. So if you really don't want to use any other device then go for it. I wouldn't use matterport. But thats just me... but to export lgs files which is the official way of giving images to clients you need to have publisher pro license alongside the register 360 license.
mikajahkola
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Mika Jahkola
Company Details: Myymore Oy
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by mikajahkola »

You should purchase Register 360 BLK edition. With it comes the iPad application Field 360, which can be used to control the scanner during work, and to do a preliminary registration on site.
Register 360 (BLK edition) can load the scans either from the Field360 application or directly from the scanner.
There used to be a Recap application for iPad but it has been discontinued, so you don't really have any alternatives if you want to do serious work.

Register360 can export point clouds in several formats, including e57, PTX and RCP. We use RCP point clouds in our process but the RCP export of Register360 is not very reliable. Instead we export the registered point cloud as e57 files, load them into Recap and let Recap generate the final cloud.
smartscanz
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Attila
Company Details: SmartScanz
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by smartscanz »

LITA_232 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:50 pm Hello everyone,

We are a small GIS company. We bought Leica BLK360 in 2018, and only now has a person (it's me) who will be in charge of the device. Doing the research about how to import data from the scanner, I found that 2 apps are not available anymore: BLK360 app for iPads and ReCap. When I download data from the scanner to the desktop using Data Manager, I got them in .blk format, which is not supported by any open source post processing software. Am I right that we have 2 options: buying Matterport subscription, or buying Register 360 subscription? I read a lot of negative posts about Matterport, but Register subscription price is probably too high for us. What workflow would you recommend in our case?
You can just always outsource .blk format scans. Have someone stitch together scans, clean the point cloud and return it to you as a RCP file or E57 file. Would save you significant amount of money upfront.
I was informed that Cyclone Register 360 BLK Edition will be increasing in 2023.

Here to help if you need assistance.

Cheers.
JohnScott
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: John Scott
Company Details: Got None
Company Position Title: Scan guy

Post by JohnScott »

My first post ends up being an answer for someone else. Ironic since I am also a complete newbie.
All the Leica software is available as an out-right purchase or as an annual subscription at roughly 1/3 the price of purchase. Not a super great deal in the long term obviously but it does ease the pain of getting started. I went with the full REG 360 this time around because I want to import and work on some E57 files. When I renew in 11 months I will drop back to the REG 360 BLK version.
Last edited by JohnScott on Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LITA_232
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by LITA_232 »

badam wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:23 pm Well there is a register 360 blk edition which is only capable of handling blk devices like blk360g1 blk360g2, blk2go, blk2fly,blkarc.

It can publish recap files as well. Not like with the full register 360 which can handle all sort of inputs like e57, ptx, laz, rtc360, p series, etc...

And the blk edition is cheaper. So if you really don't want to use any other device then go for it. I wouldn't use matterport. But thats just me... but to export lgs files which is the official way of giving images to clients you need to have publisher pro license alongside the register 360 license.
Thank you so much. I have only one question. Why do you not recommend using matterport?
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

You don't have any way to alter/check the quality of the data. And you only have just a fancy viewer od course you can export as point cloud but i don't really know if it is the same as a simple point cloud exported from register 360.

And with matterport you will get an ongoing expense to hold your data online. If i recall correctly.

If you care about accuracy then register 360, if you need better loking images and fancy online viewer then matterport.
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development

Post by VXGrid »

LITA_232 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:27 pm
badam wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:23 pm Well there is a register 360 blk edition which is only capable of handling blk devices like blk360g1 blk360g2, blk2go, blk2fly,blkarc.

Thank you so much. I have only one question. Why do you not recommend using matterport?
One of the reasons Matterport is frowned upon is that you give up your rights to the data to them.
Your captured data can be used by them in any way they like. This might be a huge issue with your customers in regards to data security.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Did anyone look at this app?
https://www.orthograph.com/orthograph-blk360/

I am curious as we hate paying the huge fee for Cyclone Register blk, we use them barely enough that the Register license fee eats most our ROI for that investment. I hate the software and we often find ourselves registering the blk scans within Scene (as a e57 export/import). There's so many things within Register that I find insanely annoying.

Our BLK scanner is used for super small project where accuracy is not important, in similar manner one would use a matterport. We lend it to engineers so they can bring it as a carry on and do simple room 3D, nothing large ever. We use our other scanners for bigger projects.

This app has a lifetime license, that would allow us to stop paying for the 1400$~/year fee for register 360. If registration didn't work on the app we would finish it in Scene.

Did anyone try this app before?
LITA_232
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by LITA_232 »

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:24 pm Did anyone look at this app?
https://www.orthograph.com/orthograph-blk360/

I am curious as we hate paying the huge fee for Cyclone Register blk, we use them barely enough that the Register license fee eats most our ROI for that investment. I hate the software and we often find ourselves registering the blk scans within Scene (as a e57 export/import). There's so many things within Register that I find insanely annoying.

Our BLK scanner is used for super small project where accuracy is not important, in similar manner one would use a matterport. We lend it to engineers so they can bring it as a carry on and do simple room 3D, nothing large ever. We use our other scanners for bigger projects.

This app has a lifetime license, that would allow us to stop paying for the 1400$~/year fee for register 360. If registration didn't work on the app we would finish it in Scene.

Did anyone try this app before?
I was not able to find this app in App Store. So probably it is not available anymore

Return to “Leica Geosystems”