I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Dennis Smith
Company Details: DS Mapping Solutions
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Fate of Cyclone Register

Post by dsmith5009 »

We have began an evaluation process of our equipment and software as we move into the end of this year and trying to make some decisions. There is likely a post on this forum somewhere that discusses this very topic but, here we go anyways. We are primarily involved in forensics; fires, explosions, electrocutions, accidents, etc. We have had great success with our BLK360 for much of what we do and rent an RTC if we need to. As we grow and consider purchasing a larger machine I am inclined towards a P series scanner because of its versatility, but along with that requires learning Cyclone Register - no big deal and even understand Register is superior as far as what it can do how it works at its core (pun intended). The main issue is that it seems like Cyclone Core is on the way out as Leica brings in and focuses efforts on Register 360 and 3DR. So I guess my question is simple, do you invest in a P series scanner and the waning software that allows you to process and use those scanners to their potential or do we wait until Register 360 is able to fill the gap. Can register 360 even work with a P series scanner? If so perhaps there are some work arounds. Even if we continue to rent the equipment - don't want to spend $7k on software that is going away. Also, maybe I've got it all wrong and need to be set straight.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Fate of Cyclone Register

Post by badam »

dsmith5009 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:37 pm We have began an evaluation process of our equipment and software as we move into the end of this year and trying to make some decisions. There is likely a post on this forum somewhere that discusses this very topic but, here we go anyways. We are primarily involved in forensics; fires, explosions, electrocutions, accidents, etc. We have had great success with our BLK360 for much of what we do and rent an RTC if we need to. As we grow and consider purchasing a larger machine I am inclined towards a P series scanner because of its versatility, but along with that requires learning Cyclone Register - no big deal and even understand Register is superior as far as what it can do how it works at its core (pun intended). The main issue is that it seems like Cyclone Core is on the way out as Leica brings in and focuses efforts on Register 360 and 3DR. So I guess my question is simple, do you invest in a P series scanner and the waning software that allows you to process and use those scanners to their potential or do we wait until Register 360 is able to fill the gap. Can register 360 even work with a P series scanner? If so perhaps there are some work arounds. Even if we continue to rent the equipment - don't want to spend $7k on software that is going away. Also, maybe I've got it all wrong and need to be set straight.
Reg360 can open p series data, so if you really don't want to use register it still works. With 2021 and newer there is the Level function on each setup so it uses the dual axis compensator values. And holds it.

Main question is that do you really need a P series do you need that long range and the accuracies that comes with it? Or just buy an rtc?
npara
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Scott Nelson
Company Details: Nelson Parametrics Inc

Post by npara »

One minor note: reg360 with level function requires 3 targets to link p40 scans where 2 are enough in cyclone register.
dsmith5009
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Dennis Smith
Company Details: DS Mapping Solutions

Post by dsmith5009 »

Good to know that it works! I think on a wildland fire scene or explosion the P series would still be a way better option than an rtc. We have used the rtc on fire scene in a heavily wooded area before and it worked fine, but it was a pretty small scene. I think the ability to traverse, or set targets up at longer ranges, would greatly speed up the work flow. With the rtc we had to leap frog targets all over the place as we were in the woods, very poor cloud to cloud environment. Also, the p40s ability to do high detail scanning of say the top of a telephone pole is nice. As long as register 360 will allow us to simply bring all scans in and register them thats great. Really, I think one reason I started this thread was out of curiosity if anyone knows the future of what software to use with the P series if Cyclone is on the way out.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager

Post by Kruse »

I'm using the latest version of Register 360 for some background information. We use P50's and RTC 360 scanners on almost every project and most often combined into one dataset. In terms of registration, we only use C2C and use virtual targets applied to control points when we need to have the scans aligned to our project coordinates.

With Leica phasing out of Cyclone Core, the big remaining features that haven't been brought over into Register 360 I feel will still happen in the next year, but for the vast majority of registrations with the two scanners, I've never had any real concerns in Reg360. I agree that the P series might be a bit overkill for your line of work considering you probably don't need a long range scanner, but I will add the P series can produce about the cleanest laser scan data I've ever seen. For difficult colored/shiny surfaces, I don't think you'll find much better. But as long as you can get close enough to the items needing scanned, I can't imagine the RTC will have too much trouble producing accurate data. There are definitly some nice aspects of the P series with high density window scans that I see the value for your use cases. You shouldn't have many concerns with the ability to process P series data in Register 360 though.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

I'll just leave this here to hint at my thoughts on R360 versus Core .. note this is "level" RTC data .. and yes - this is viewing side on vertical.

And I won't even bother getting started on 3DR vs Core vs getting taken to the cleaners for CCP on Core .. wasting my breath.

This data is straight from the RTC .. no Field360 .. no Auto-Cloud .. just the VIS links processed.
level.jpg
Another constraint .. yes - side on view
topview.jpg
sideview.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

jamesworrell wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:26 am I'll just leave this here to hint at my thoughts on R360 versus Core .. note this is "level" RTC data .. and yes - this is viewing side on vertical.

And I won't even bother getting started on 3DR vs Core vs getting taken to the cleaners for CCP on Core .. wasting my breath.

This data is straight from the RTC .. no Field360 .. no Auto-Cloud .. just the VIS links processed.

level.jpg

Another constraint .. yes - side on view

topview.jpg

sideview.jpg
This is probably because vis links, maybe the rtc don't hold level during vis link creations. But we don't use the hold level and fancy new firmwares and did not have big issues. Fw3.0.14 reg360 2020.1 that is the last version which is usable for big projects 1500+ setup.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by jamesworrell »

The scan itself is level .. r360 ignores it all .. apparently ignores level data bs control as well ..
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by jamesworrell »

badam wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:01 am This is probably because vis links, maybe the rtc don't hold level during vis link creations.
VIS links aren't really links .. just hints to R360 .. hint - don't rotate the scan in 6-degrees of freedom .. just 3 .. there's an idea!
Dirkie2710
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Dirkie Uys
Company Details: Landpartners
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Skype Name: duaus

Post by Dirkie2710 »

jamesworrell wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:33 pm
badam wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:01 am This is probably because vis links, maybe the rtc don't hold level during vis link creations.
VIS links aren't really links .. just hints to R360 .. hint - don't rotate the scan in 6-degrees of freedom .. just 3 .. there's an idea!
Yeah R360 is horrible. I had a 600 scan job. All the links it needed to be good. Just could not get it to be visually ok (like it isn't optimizing enough?), never mind related to control. It was never intended to be finished in R360 but just the fact that it still looked like it was done on the ipad was insane. It went over to core and wrapped up in a nice bow there, but horrible to think R360 was so bad.

Anyway it seems core isn't end-of-road just yet, rather that there isn't active development. More like on life-support. With the P-range being what they are, and Core being what it is, it'll probably be few good more years before Leica decides to invest in their Survey Grade scanners again, so I'd get Core with a P-series any day.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”