Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: FARO ACQUIRES GEOSLAM

Post by jcoco3 »

Thanks for the information everyone. Looks like I might need to give the new NavVis system and the BLK2GO a shot so I can get beyond my preconcieved notions about their accuracy. Sorry if it I shot my mouth off about them without first hand experience.
Tanguy Nédélec
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: NEDELEC Tanguy
Company Details: Prigent et Associes
Company Position Title: Surveyor - nooks and crannies explorer

Post by Tanguy Nédélec »

pburrows145 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:40 am The latest updates to the BLK2GO are, IMHO, incredible... the re-observation feature alone is changing the game for a lot of customers (I spoke to one yesterday and he said they have now increased their walk times from 10 mins to 30 minutes and were seeing improved results - even when cross-referencing against survey control).
What is this "re-observation feature"? I checked the firmware release notes but didn't see mention of this...
conesgeo
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Samantha Cone
Company Details: GeoSLAM Ltd
Company Position Title: Senior Marketing Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by conesgeo »

Thanks for all your comments and feedback. You can be assured that our customer support and roadmap are as central to our future as ever.

If you haven't seen GeoSLAM data in the last 12 months, it might be a good time to take a look. Improved accuracy, reduced noise and filtering are now standard with all ZEB scanners via GeoSLAM Connect.

We're feeling really positive about what the future collaborations will look like, in the meantime, it's business as usual and business is buoyant.
SAttaya
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: SAttaya
Company Details: Sev1Tech
Company Position Title: Sr Software Analyst-RemoteSensingEngr

Post by SAttaya »

conesgeo wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:20 pm Thanks for all your comments and feedback. You can be assured that our customer support and roadmap are as central to our future as ever.

If you haven't seen GeoSLAM data in the last 12 months, it might be a good time to take a look. Improved accuracy, reduced noise and filtering are now standard with all ZEB scanners via GeoSLAM Connect.

We're feeling really positive about what the future collaborations will look like, in the meantime, it's business as usual and business is buoyant.
any comments on where the ZEB scanners affect the FARO FreeStyle2?
conesgeo
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by conesgeo »

SAttaya wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:22 pm
conesgeo wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:20 pm Thanks for all your comments and feedback. You can be assured that our customer support and roadmap are as central to our future as ever.

any comments on where the ZEB scanners affect the FARO FreeStyle2?
There's currently no impact to the product lines.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

conesgeo wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:20 pmIf you haven't seen GeoSLAM data in the last 12 months, it might be a good time to take a look. Improved accuracy, reduced noise and filtering are now standard with all ZEB scanners via GeoSLAM Connect.
Hi Samantha,

Please feel free to post links to a few sample datasets illustrating this, ideally in LAS, LAZ or E57 with any ancillary data such as trajectory, poise etc.. I ended up writing my own noise reduction routines for the original ZEB revo which work well, example here. I'd certainly be interested in seeing what the newer data looks like,

Shane
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
conesgeo
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by conesgeo »

smacl wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:34 pm
conesgeo wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:20 pmIf you haven't seen GeoSLAM data in the last 12 months, it might be a good time to take a look. Improved accuracy, reduced noise and filtering are now standard with all ZEB scanners via GeoSLAM Connect.
Hi Samantha,

Please feel free to post links to a few sample datasets illustrating this, ideally in LAS, LAZ or E57 with any ancillary data such as trajectory, poise etc.. I ended up writing my own noise reduction routines for the original ZEB revo which work well, example here. I'd certainly be interested in seeing what the newer data looks like,

Shane
Hi Shane,

Sure, we have a selection of sample data on our website which is free to view and download here - https://geoslam.com/sample-data/
Some of the more recent scans with the ZEB Vision are:
https://samples.geoslam.com/Potree/Clif ... ridge.html
https://samples.geoslam.com/Potree/lama ... erene.html
https://samples.geoslam.com/Potree/Rudd ... esStr.html
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

smacl wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:12 pm

Working with some client topo data collected with NavVis over the last few weeks and it is excellent, far better than anything I've seen from other SLAM devices. Not ideal for tall surveyors in tight spaces, but great outside of that.
It's fun watching Marek 6'-9" or 6'-11" do a demo. We had him in a parking garage and there was a lot of ducking.
If he were an instrumentman with tradition equip he'd need one of those 7' tripods!
Their data is clean.
I want to get another good dataset because our first one with a consultant still had some issues with the colorization outdoors
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

gsisman wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:28 pm
smacl wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:12 pm

Working with some client topo data collected with NavVis over the last few weeks and it is excellent, far better than anything I've seen from other SLAM devices. Not ideal for tall surveyors in tight spaces, but great outside of that.
It's fun watching Marek 6'-9" or 6'-11" do a demo. We had him in a parking garage and there was a lot of ducking.
If he were an instrumentman with tradition equip he'd need one of those 7' tripods!
Their data is clean.
I want to get another good dataset because our first one with a consultant still had some issues with the colorization outdoors
I think one of the other things to think about for topographic work is control. Problem with clean data is that is easily confused with accurate data, which is a regular issue with scanning. I do like how NavVis are strong on incorporating external control on the VLX and have been from the outset. While it adds to site time and cost, it does make it a proper surveyor's tool. Looking at the intensity data on a recent job, I think it is synthesised from the rgb, which isn't great but not surprising as intensity returns often seem to be a weak point from multi channel scan heads. BLK2GO is better here from the data I've seen. Also, definitely great job prospects for shorter surveyor's in the near future 😀
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

tengui wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:20 pm
pburrows145 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:40 am The latest updates to the BLK2GO are, IMHO, incredible... the re-observation feature alone is changing the game for a lot of customers (I spoke to one yesterday and he said they have now increased their walk times from 10 mins to 30 minutes and were seeing improved results - even when cross-referencing against survey control).
What is this "re-observation feature"? I checked the firmware release notes but didn't see mention of this...
Software update in REG360... check release notes.

"...the algorithm searches for regions with good overlap to extract links which are then used to adjust the point cloud. These can be done in a single loop trajectory, where the user starts and end at the same location, and also with trajectories with small or medium sized loops. And these adjustments are made throughout the trajectory."

Hope that helps.

Return to “General Chat”