Faro S120 battery rebuild

Faro FOCUS S350, S150, S70, M70, X30, X130, X130HDR, X330, X330HDR. Leica RTC360, C10, P15, P20, P30, P40, P50, BLK360, HDS6*00, HDS7000,HDS8800, HDS8400. Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i. Topcon GTL-1000, GLS2200, GLS1500. Trimble X7, X9, X12, SX12, SX10, TX8, TX6, S7 & S9. Z+F IMAGER 5016, 5010X, 5010C, 5006H, 5006EX & PROFILER 9012
Teraki
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Tertius JB Kruger
Company Details: Vinitra Consulting
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Faro S120 battery rebuild

Post by Teraki »

Anyone here that maybe had success in rebuilding a battery for these scanners?
Mine is on its last legs and only holding about 1 hour 40min.

Or if someone here has one that is also lying in a cupboard somewhere that is willing to part with it, I would like to try and experiment on it and take it apart and maybe replace the 18650 that is inside somehow..
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Re: Faro S120 battery rebuild

Post by TommyMaddox »

We have a lot of these batteries and chargers and accessories from our old fleet we can sell if youre interested.
christopherbyrne18
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Christopher Byrne
Company Details: Murphy Geospatial
Company Position Title: Head Of Dept Special Projects

Post by christopherbyrne18 »

I imagine they are just a bunch of 18650 batteries in paralell and or series.

Should be handy enough to refurb with quality cells if thats the case.

Only tricky bit is opening / closing the battery & access to a spot welder to join the cells.
Teraki
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Teraki »

TommyMaddox wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:39 am We have a lot of these batteries and chargers and accessories from our old fleet we can sell if youre interested.
Thanks Tommy, I might be in touch if no-one else here has one they want to maybe donate for the cause.
The adapter unit might come in handy if you have one to sell maybe. I'm currently using my only one to keep my scanner going with my 220v powerbank hanging off the tripod when my battery is depleted. I can then charge the battery on the side from the wall on site to increase my time on site.
Teraki
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Teraki »

christopherbyrne18 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:44 pm I imagine they are just a bunch of 18650 batteries in paralell and or series.

Should be handy enough to refurb with quality cells if thats the case.

Only tricky bit is opening / closing the battery & access to a spot welder to join the cells.
Yes, definitely spot welded 18650. I can build a spot welder, just never had the need for one as of yet.
You are correct, opening the block is tricky and might become damaged with the first try, but hopefully when opened I can assess how the block is assembled and try on a next one.
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Post by TommyMaddox »

Teraki wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:32 pm
TommyMaddox wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:39 am We have a lot of these batteries and chargers and accessories from our old fleet we can sell if youre interested.
Thanks Tommy, I might be in touch if no-one else here has one they want to maybe donate for the cause.
The adapter unit might come in handy if you have one to sell maybe. I'm currently using my only one to keep my scanner going with my 220v powerbank hanging off the tripod when my battery is depleted. I can then charge the battery on the side from the wall on site to increase my time on site.

We have probably a dozen+ batteries 6-10 chargers, Protective cover/carry handle cases, quick release adapters, vehicle charger adapters, flight cases etc...
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

Recently i tried to replace 18650 cells in a blk360 battery, but i can confirm that there are things where the manufacturers can give you headaches.

Biggest hurdle is the mentioned how to disassemble the case without destruction. I think it is impossible for most of these batteries they are packed really tight and really hard to separate the two part from each other. I think it is easier to just create a new case, but then you will face the issue that it cannot be 3d printed. (material thickness, rigidity).

Another things is that the charging/balancing controller's firmware can be on a volatile memory, so you can loose that during cell replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkum7G-0vWg
Teraki
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Teraki »

TommyMaddox wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:16 am
Teraki wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:32 pm

We have probably a dozen+ batteries 6-10 chargers, Protective cover/carry handle cases, quick release adapters, vehicle charger adapters, flight cases etc...
Thanks Tommy, I'll be in touch on a pm..
Teraki
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Teraki »

badam wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:52 am Recently i tried to replace 18650 cells in a blk360 battery, but i can confirm that there are things where the manufacturers can give you headaches.

Biggest hurdle is the mentioned how to disassemble the case without destruction. I think it is impossible for most of these batteries they are packed really tight and really hard to separate the two part from each other. I think it is easier to just create a new case, but then you will face the issue that it cannot be 3d printed. (material thickness, rigidity).

Another things is that the charging/balancing controller's firmware can be on a volatile memory, so you can loose that during cell replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkum7G-0vWg
Agreed, it does look like some destructive operations to open the case. I have some ideas to overcome it, but I will need a donor battery to experiment. 3D printing another case, doubt it. Too many tight tolerances to make it work and fit. Yes, sidewalling is also too tight.
You are correct, I'm worried about the bms system on the battery, one never knows what state it will be in with a worked battery.

Return to “Terrestrial Laser Scanners [TLS]”