Creaform vs Scantech

Apple iPhone & iPad, Artec3D, ASUS Xtrion, Creaform, DotProduct DPI-8S &DPI-10, FARO Freestyle, G0-Scan, Mantis Vision, Microsoft Kinect, Noomeo, THOR3D, ZEB1, viDoc RTK Rover etc.
Shawn_Laughlin
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Shawn Laughlin
Company Details: Laughlin custom machine works
Company Position Title: Part owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Creaform vs Scantech

Post by Shawn_Laughlin »

I can find a million videos showing how well the creaform Handyscan black scans and I can find a bunch of videos on the other two but I want to hear from people that have experience with using both brands or anyone who has used each scanner and explain on how they differ when scanning?

I know creaform has real time mesh generation as you scan but does scantech generate a as you scan mesh with the Kscan magic or simscan?

Handyscan black elite, in every video I’ve watched are fast but scantech seems to fast forward through a lot of their scans bc maybe it’s taking too long? I really have no idea. I’ve never used a scanner but wanting to purchase one now for my machine shop for inspecting castings as well as product develops and trying to get enough info to make my mind up.
3D4L
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Mike Johnson
Company Details: QFS
Company Position Title: engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Creaform vs Scantech

Post by 3D4L »

Call Kyle Burdine at Digitize Designs in South Carolina. He can help you with the Scantech. I have a friend that used them for a service project.
Shawn_Laughlin
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Shawn_Laughlin »

It’s a little past due but I could t remember the website I posted this on and just found while doing a search so thank you. I’m still deciding but I will definitely call and talk with him. Again thank you
RollingCamel
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Akram Mousa
Company Details: ReCreate3D
Company Position Title: Founder

Post by RollingCamel »

Third party verification of accuracy specs are required.

I was a Creaform user and decided to buy the Kscan Magic instead of the non-silver HandyScan 700 when I started my business, since it offered a much better package for the price. I needed to have cover small and large sizes with high accuracy and scanning speed which the KScan had.

The downside is that the software, while functional, is certainly behind VXelements and doesn't have realtime meshing. This adds post processing time.
Shawn_Laughlin
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Shawn_Laughlin »

Do you regret going with the magic?
I’m so close to pulling the trigger on the simscan 42 but there is one thing bothering me that might be nothing but…..

I’ve seen the guy on YouTube take his Handyscan black elite and scan a ballbar and the scan was accurate to like a couple tenths from the calibration carts of that ballbar. so a lot more accurate than the advertised .02mm so that tells me creaform underrates their scanners which is awesome.
I wonder if scantech does the same?
I know scantech was working on getting iso certificates but not sure if they have. I need to try to find that out. If they did, that pit in my stomach will shrink a little and I’ll pull that trigger today.

I’m very wish washy spending this kind of money since buying my 1st cnc machine a vf4ss from hass, without ever even being around a cnc machine. I’m just trying my best to cover all my bases on something I’ve only ever seen on the internet and two over the pc demos and not have the same type of experience.
3D_scan_dude
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: John Henry
Company Details: DuBold Design
Company Position Title: DuBold Design

Post by 3D_scan_dude »

Scantech software is very buggy and the workflow is clunky at best. Pay a little more and go with Creaform and VXelements. You will be glad you did. You spend more time using the software than the scanner so its important not to cut corners on software. Hope that helps!
Shawn_Laughlin
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Shawn_Laughlin »

I’ve been going back and forth so hard in this and as much as I want a bkack elite I can’t spend 65,000 on it. If they had a demo they would sell for 45,000 i would jump on that like white on rice but that’s just a pipe dream. I just like how creaform underates their specs. A black elite with .0009 accuracy spec will actually scan four zeroes to 2 tenths. That’s amazing and why they ask the money for them and they are probably worth every penny and would love to have one but I’m going to settle for a scantech simscan or kscan magic. Once I start selling my underwater lights and if I have the sells I’m hoping to have I might be able to justify spending a little more money. Thank you for the insight though
3D4L
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Mike Johnson
Company Details: QFS
Company Position Title: engineer

Post by 3D4L »

3D_scan_dude wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:28 pm Scantech software is very buggy and the workflow is clunky at best. Pay a little more and go with Creaform and VXelements. You will be glad you did. You spend more time using the software than the scanner so its important not to cut corners on software. Hope that helps!
You must have seen their old software from a few years ago. I have seen it recently and it seems like they've got all the bugs worked out. Not to mention how much faster their scanners are.
maith_am
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Maitham
Company Details: BFG International
Company Position Title: BFG International

Post by maith_am »

Hello,
I work for fiber glass factory, and we produce both small and large molds to create panels range of 1.5 x 2 meters to 8x 4 meters and larger of different surface shape. The problem with our Kscan is double and triple mark point and double layers and sometimes it disconnects while scanning.
During scanning larger molds, we came across double and trip mark points and double surface. We tried to scan with mark point option and then a smart point as well but we still encounter the same issue. We reached out to the supplier many times during the two years and the supplier only announced that they have a DA in Dubai which less than an hour trip by airplane from Dubai to Bahrain. The DA is still stalling, and we are still trying to figure out how to bypass these issues on our own and still can figure it out.

I am looking for a solution from people who are actually knows how to use the Kscan so I can progress with scanning and generating reports.

I hope that you can help or guide me to someone who knows how to rectify similar issue.

Thanks.

Maitham
Shawn_Laughlin
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Shawn_Laughlin »

I wish I could help you buddy but I’m too new to all this but I will say that so far my experience with my new simscan 42 has 99 percent positive. The other 1 percent was installing the scan viewer software and the way it was written in chinglish. Also having some issues with windows defender and mcafee not letting me turn my firewall back on since having to turn them off to download said software. That last bit could be from something I did and that’s most likely the case.

I will say that I would be on the phone with who I purchased it from and have a word with them. They should have some sort of free training or even paid.

The place I got my scanner through Digitize Designs, Greenville,South Carolina has been a 100 percent positive experience. They will call or email you to remind to take advantage of a couple hours of free live online training one on one with one of their guys.

Get on the phone and call the company you purchased it through and politely ask them for some help. Works 95 percent of the time. If not get a f-ing refund bc if there is no training offered and there are no detailed manuals on how to use the different functions in scan viewer (that’s a fact, there is nothing online) then they have no right to sell something that you have to figure out how to use.
When I bought my haas vf4ss cnc machine if it hadn’t come with a 1” thick user manual and a million YouTube videos I would’ve been screwed. Call them and explain and you should get help.
Good luck man

Return to “Hand Held Scanners”