Make copy of some Register 360 projects with affecting originals.

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
Cidona
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Damien Shannon
Company Details: Damien Shannon
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Make copy of some Register 360 projects with affecting originals.

Post by Cidona »

Dear Forum.

Wondering if someone can suggest workflow for making copies of projects in Register 360? I have a few projects that I want to be able to experiment with merging, etc. and I want to be able to revert to the originals if I make a hash of things.

TIA for any insight.

Damien Shannon.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Make copy of some Register 360 projects with affecting originals.

Post by Kruse »

I suppose making a Version of the project is one way, but might be worth double checking the manual on what all becomes affected or what changes apply between all the versions. A more tried and true method where you leave the original alone entirely would be to make a new/blank project and merge the original project into it. That creates an exact copy of the original and allows you to do whatever you like without affecting the original in any capacity.
Cidona
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Damien Shannon
Company Details: Damien Shannon
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Cidona »

Hi Kruse.

Thank you very much for the reply and suggestions!

I haven't played around with the versioning yet but will have to research that also.

However for my current need, your second 'tried and true' suggestion works perfect. I had control points in one of the projects and wasn't sure how the merging would impact it so I had been wary of that. However I needn't have had such concern. Following your suggestion I did just that and the project including the control points seem to come in perfect.

Thank you very much!!

Damien Shannon.
tristanthibault
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Tristan Thibault
Company Details: BBA
Company Position Title: Coordonnateur en technologies relevés 3D

Post by tristanthibault »

you could create an archive of your original project and keep the RAF file in case something happen.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

tristanthibault wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:01 pm you could create an archive of your original project and keep the RAF file in case something happen.
Does anybody uses RAF at all?:O How much spare time do you have to run those unnecessary steps?:D
tristanthibault
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

we create RAF file on all our project when we are done and copied them in server. If we need to work on them we import them on our SSD and work on it. Take not that much time.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by badam »

tristanthibault wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:20 pm we create RAF file on all our project when we are done and copied them in server. If we need to work on them we import them on our SSD and work on it. Take not that much time.
How much time does it take to create a raf for an average sized project (3-500 setup)? If it takes more then 10 second that is not worth it... that is why we store everything on the NAS.

There is no time required to open any project on any machine. It is like close then reopen the program with a different server database. That is all you need. And everything stored on a much safer location. Every workstation is disposeable.
tristanthibault
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

you are working directly on the NAS over your server? don't you lose performance because of the internet or take all the bandwidth available? or you copied the project when you are done?

I'm trying to understand your workflow to keep all the date. If you have a better workflow then mine I'll be happy to change my way of working
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager

Post by Kruse »

For my computer (3970X Threadripper CPU) it usually creates the RAF at ~25 MB/s. So if my project file is 100GB, it'd take around 67 minutes. My laptop has a higher single core speed, and usually archives the RAF at around ~35 MB/s. It's not so much based off number of setups, but rather the overall project size and how fast your CPU's single core speed is.

I also archive all projects and keep the RAF for a couple months before deleting, but before archiving, I remove the finalized registration to lighten up the overall project size first. You can archive multiple projects at once (multi selecting the projects then hitting archive), keeping the RAF's separate files, so I'll archive at the end of the day and let it crunch through the night If I do several 100 GBs of data at once.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by badam »

tristanthibault wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:47 pm you are working directly on the NAS over your server? don't you lose performance because of the internet or take all the bandwidth available? or you copied the project when you are done?

I'm trying to understand your workflow to keep all the date. If you have a better workflow then mine I'll be happy to change my way of working
We are working directly off of a NAS. Keep every project in its own serverdb only copy the server db before changing project on a specific computer.

We keep everything we delete finalized registration in file explorer periodically.

It does not take full bandwidth. Only see degradation during optimalization, but not that big of a deal you only notice with a stopwatch. You only optimize like 3-4 times a day if you are working with a big bundle if not then you will not notice difference. We recently upgraded to 10G but did literally almost no differenece to 1gbit.

Well during night is import time there is a very tight schedule to keep everything moving. There is no way to waste time for archiving/copying with license.

67 minutes to "archive" 100gb is pretty bad only for just "archiving". Let say you need to switch computer during a project.... you need to export/import. Or use other solutions to work around. The fastest is what we use...

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”