Is the Trimble X7 a good fit for large scale projects and datasets???

Discuss Trimble hardware here.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Is the Trimble X7 a good fit for large scale projects and datasets???

Post by Kruse »

stevenramsey wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:12 pm If I remeber from the demo I had. you are right about it being a 1-2-3 but at the end of the job you can "finalize" or "optimise" sorry I can't remeber the exact word they used. and at that point the loops are closed. It improved the results a little
The refinement process sounded like it simply reran all the cloud to cloud links when I asked about it, but it did seem to tighten up the tolerances according to the registration report, even though I saw up to 1/2" of delta on a surface that should have been well within a 1/16" this close to the scanner. I have my demo rep re registering/verifying the data on their end just to double check we didn't overlook anything during the demo.

I'm looking through some other webinar's and training videos from Trimble and Perspective does have the ability for a cutting plane to try and verify registration, which is odd the demo rep didn't realize that.... As for the refinement process Perspective has, one video mentioned that it does attempt to add cross ties between all the setups, but you have no control over which ones that can be done to and I couldn't see a way to verify what cross ties are all created or how to edit them. Still doesn't feel like Perspective is the end all solution to registration of data, IMO. Below is the video I'm referencing.

https://youtu.be/vwfaTqGuFa0
Attila
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: Tóth Attila
Company Details: Rackarto Kft
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: rackarto

Post by Attila »

Kruse wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:42 pm I also viewed a single setup (Medium density, standard quality, HDR high quality photos) and pulled the same cut section through the same concrete columns and from that single setups, I'm still seeing 3/16" to 1/4" of noise/inconsistencies in a 3" tall slice.
As I have already written: use "high quality"
Do not buy a more complicated instrument than a leveler from this Trimble deeler. :)
The refinement as the name suggests refines the registrations. All of them, for as many as possible. 3 setup is not enough to see any of this.

In the meantime, I started a detailed scan of a small but complicated church. There will be a lot of setups, I guess 120-130. I'll report on the processing time. If you are still interested in ...
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager

Post by Kruse »

Attila wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:59 pm
Kruse wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:42 pm I also viewed a single setup (Medium density, standard quality, HDR high quality photos) and pulled the same cut section through the same concrete columns and from that single setups, I'm still seeing 3/16" to 1/4" of noise/inconsistencies in a 3" tall slice.
As I have already written: use "high quality"
Do not buy a more complicated instrument than a leveler from this Trimble deeler. :)
The refinement as the name suggests refines the registrations. All of them, for as many as possible. 3 setup is not enough to see any of this.

In the meantime, I started a detailed scan of a small but complicated church. There will be a lot of setups, I guess 120-130. I'll report on the processing time. If you are still interested in ...
You bet I want to hear and learn more about it! haha. I sent you a private message. I look forward to your results. In the meantime, I am getting a high sensitivity/quality scan from the rep to see how it looks compared to the standard quality scans.
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Post by Augusto 3D »

I am selling ours if you are still on the market!
wmta
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: William Tucker
Company Details: WmTuckerAssociates
Company Position Title: Ceo
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by wmta »

I am interested in buying a x7 scanner
jaredmatthews
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jared
Company Details: Sova Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: jaredmatthews
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by jaredmatthews »

As a user of the X7 for more than a year now, I can honestly say that it successfuly does the job I need it to do.

I have scanned projects with over 500 combined setups, and logically, when trying to display all these point on something as "low-end spec" (compared to an office desktop PC) it will obviously cause issue for the tablet.

But there is a work around. You can select a station, and select an option to "display nearest scans" (and the number of nearest scans can be changed to suit our needs, but I have it set to 5).

Therefore, when you are in one area of your project, you can turn off all the scans of the other areas and focus on just where you are.

And for those who are saying that they dont like having to rely on using the tablet with the scanner... you dont have to.

You can quick-press the power button on the scanner, and it will scan with the previous scan settings. If you need to change the settings you can either use the tablet, or there is an app that you get on your phone, where you can change the settings and preview the scans.

You can also take large projects a step further and break them into seperate projects from the beginning and then merge them later

For example, if you have multi-floor building you could do the externals as one project, and each floor as their own projects and then merge them together.
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

I did a 500 scan project with an X7 last year. The on site registration is fantastic - it really feels like a tool built for surveyors.

Return to “Trimble”