GPU Recommendations - rack server

Discuss Autodesk ReCap Studio software here.
tjawed
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Tarique Jawed
Company Details: Stony Creek Homes
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

GPU Recommendations - rack server

Post by tjawed »

I have a dell poweredge r840 that I use a virtual machine to run Recap Pro in. The VM has plenty CPU and RAM and IO. Recap is basically unusable b/c there is no gpu installed.

I have a budget of 1-4K for something that can support upto 3 users via vmware. I don't want to overspend if there isn't a substantive performance jump. Somewhere down the road the goal is to use the same GPU's for rendering in 3dsMax

Hoping someone has a good recommendation?
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: GPU Recommendations - rack server

Post by badam »

How do you connect to the VM, through ms RDP? if yes the biggest issue would be the lack of good opengl support.

what is the real reason? do you want a 3ds max render server (because renders uses cpu most of the time, then gpu is not really needed, but f you want to model through rdp that is another case), or a point cloud viewer? Recap can be slow as hell even on local machine (it is just pourly written, and not optimized for fast viewing, especially the mirror balls), but can be worse through rdp.

If accessed from remote desktop AMD cards usually has better opengl support through RDP, if not amd then choose a quadro instead or firepro. they usually works better through rdp. but with overall less performance

Return to “Autodesk ReCap Studio”