BASIC vs ADVANCED

Discuss Trimble Realworks software here.
ProCro
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Nino Skupnjak
Company Details: SKIMI64
Company Position Title: procurator
Linkedin Profile: Yes

BASIC vs ADVANCED

Post by ProCro »

Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking of buying RW Basic and RW to scene registration plugin (Taglabs). (I allready have Scene).

My concern is if basic version has all of registering tools that advanced has?

I would use it only for registration.

Also, can BASIC version export .rmx (registration info)?

Thanks in advance :)
mariusP
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Marius Putrimas
Company Details: Terra Modus
Company Position Title: Undet product manager

Re: BASIC vs ADVANCED

Post by mariusP »

ProCro wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:47 am Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking of buying RW Basic and RW to scene registration plugin (Taglabs). (I allready have Scene).

The basic version doesn't have target-less registration and other important features for registration. We replaced the SCENE software with TRW I think 7 years ago and we welcome such a decision every day. You can import raw FLS files from an SD card, and using the import and register feature, you can get a registered project by leaving calculations overnight. This is often enough for routine projects.
Undet Point Cloud Software provides software solutions for AutoCAD, ARES Commander, Revit, and SketchUp point cloud users to save time, increase efficiency, and reduce errors in creating 3D models and 2D drawings.

:arrow: www.undet.com
ProCro
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ProCro »

mariusP wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:29 am

The basic version doesn't have target-less registration and other important features for registration. We replaced the SCENE software with TRW I think 7 years ago and we welcome such a decision every day. You can import raw FLS files from an SD card, and using the import and register feature, you can get a registered project by leaving calculations overnight. This is often enough for routine projects.
I guess that info provided by my local dealer is wrong then:

BASIC:

– Export/Import scans
– Coordinate frame creation tool
– Scan Explorer
– Visualization tools (examination, etc.)
– Sampling, Measurement, Full registration tool, Bundle adjustment, Orientation tool, Geo-referencing
– Feature coding, Contouring, 2D Easy line, Polyline drawing tool, Basic geometry fitting tool, Image matching
– Key plan creation, Image retification tool, Ortho projection tool, Mesh Creatin/Editing, Volume calculation tool, Media tools
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Always wondered if it would be an advantage to use over Scene. Do you recommend TRW for c2c instead of keeping fiddling about with Scene?
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
ProCro
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ProCro »

I've tried one project with 388 scans. Registration in scene was a nightmare (Villa with park). In TRW (trial version) everything was done under one extended workday. Mean distance error on 11 survey points was 5.4mm.

Exported .rmx from registered cloud from TRW and with taglabs plugin registration was imported to Scene under minute. From there you can manipulate native scans.
mariusP
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Marius Putrimas
Company Details: Terra Modus
Company Position Title: Undet product manager

Post by mariusP »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:19 am

Always wondered if it would be an advantage to use over Scene. Do you recommend TRW for c2c instead of keeping fiddling about with Scene?

I don't know how the latest version of SCENE works with c2c registration, but in the past, registration was very poor. For example, a building with a perimeter of 150 meters is measured with a FARO X330. The measurement was made in a closed-loop. Is it correct to measure such an object without control points? Another question, but we are talking about scans station registration.

With SCENE it was impossible to register scans using the c2c feature. Either the building was crooked or the error was ~ 10cm.

With TRW it was super easy to achieve ~2cm accuracy. Of course, is worth mentioning that the FARO X330 dual-axis compensator is not the best-in-class to expect a better result. So after such an observation, more detailed insight into TRW continued. Now our team has completed many projects with TRW and we are very happy about it.
Undet Point Cloud Software provides software solutions for AutoCAD, ARES Commander, Revit, and SketchUp point cloud users to save time, increase efficiency, and reduce errors in creating 3D models and 2D drawings.

:arrow: www.undet.com
mikajahkola
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Mika Jahkola
Company Details: Myymore Oy
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by mikajahkola »

We have been using TRW BASE version for several years and yes it does have both cloud-to-cloud and target based registration, and it does export RMX files, and you can align your registered cloud to external control points.

The c-c registration workflow is semi-manual: you build up your registered cloud one scan at a time by picking one or two common points in the new scan and the registered group, or by roughly aligning the scan manually to the registered group. TRW then refines the alignment and adds the scan to the group. In larger projects you can split your project to several groups that are optimized internally and then aligned to each other as solid groups. There is no limit to the number or nesting level of groups. Once you get used to the idea registration is quite fast and the results are very good.

TRW ADV revision has automatic registration using planes, which is missing in BASE.
We once tested it but found that it was fairly slow and it dit not register all scans correctly, so for us it was not worth the fairly steep extra cost.

Generally in my opinion TRW's cloud-to-cloud registration results are far better than those of Scene and Cyclone Register 360 at least for Faro scans.
TRW is not particularly good for cleaning point clouds. You can segment out anything you want but the workflow is too long to describe here and it is very time consuming.
ProCro
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ProCro »

mikajahkola wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:49 pm We have been using TRW BASE version for several years and yes it does have both cloud-to-cloud and target based registration, and it does export RMX files, and you can align your registered cloud to external control points.

The c-c registration workflow is semi-manual: you build up your registered cloud one scan at a time by picking one or two common points in the new scan and the registered group, or by roughly aligning the scan manually to the registered group. TRW then refines the alignment and adds the scan to the group. In larger projects you can split your project to several groups that are optimized internally and then aligned to each other as solid groups. There is no limit to the number or nesting level of groups. Once you get used to the idea registration is quite fast and the results are very good.

TRW ADV revision has automatic registration using planes, which is missing in BASE.
We once tested it but found that it was fairly slow and it dit not register all scans correctly, so for us it was not worth the fairly steep extra cost.

Generally in my opinion TRW's cloud-to-cloud registration results are far better than those of Scene and Cyclone Register 360 at least for Faro scans.
TRW is not particularly good for cleaning point clouds. You can segment out anything you want but the workflow is too long to describe here and it is very time consuming.
good reason for me to buy ADVANCED version :)

I'm doing mostly big projects and my workflow is to create clusters, automatic registration of them, manual inspection of automatically registered clusters, (eventually fixing auto registration), merging all the clusters in one, manual inspection of the merged cloud, and on the end survey point registration and ispection.
mikajahkola
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Mika Jahkola
Company Details: Myymore Oy
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by mikajahkola »

ProCro wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:58 pm
good reason for me to buy ADVANCED version :)

I'm doing mostly big projects and my workflow is to create clusters, automatic registration of them, manual inspection of automatically registered clusters, (eventually fixing auto registration), merging all the clusters in one, manual inspection of the merged cloud, and on the end survey point registration and ispection.
How long does automatic registration of, say, a group of 10 scans take with TRW nowadays?
My experience from about 3 years ago and a couple of TRW versions back was something like 30 minutes.
That was slower than manual c-c registration, but maybe the product has improved since. And of course computers have gotten faster.
ProCro
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ProCro »

388 scans registered in one day. Pretty fast if you ask me :)

That was done on my laptop with R7 4800H, 64GB DDR4, RTX 2060 and 2TB SX8200Pro nvme drive

I guess that on my workstation (i9 9900K, 128GB DDR4, GTX1080 and 2TB SX8200Pro nvme drive) would be slightly faster.

Return to “Trimble Realworks”