Changes in how Control is applied in R360 2021?

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 related issues here.
JLarson
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jason Larson
Company Details: McLaren Engineering Group
Company Position Title: Technical Director - Geomatics
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Changes in how Control is applied in R360 2021?

Post by JLarson »

Has anyone else had an issue in the new version of Register 360 (2021) with how Survey Control is applied? I am seeing a situation where each control point only ties to one scan, even though there are multiple scans that have the control targets visible (and labels). The other thing is that it's not even the closest scan in several cases. Is this a bug? Seems like in the past you would get ties to control from every scan that had those targets in them.

At first I thought that it was an issue with the automatic target Smart Label function, but even after I go in and make sure all the targets at a given point have the proper labels, I still don't get multiple ties to all scans connected to the control.

I have another project we did recently with the BLK2GO where only a few control points at one end of the project get ties to the control. Again, Apply Control was done using the Auto-Label function, then also re-run after manually naming the targets. Same result: ties to only one scan per control point, and only at one end of the project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason Larson, PLS
topogeo
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: piercarlo roasio
Company Details: studio roasio
Company Position Title: titolare
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Changes in how Control is applied in R360 2021?

Post by topogeo »

I reconstructed the same problems with the new management of control points in Register360 2021.1 ,.
In addition to your problems, I happened to NOT be able to use targets. Register360 did not automatically label them. I tried to label them manually .. but Register 360 ignores them and doesn't use them in georeferencing.
It appears that Register360 uses ONLY the targets that it AUTOMATICALLY LABELS. There is no point in manually tagging targets.
I reported the problem to Leica and they assured me that they will solve it in the next realese.
I must acknowledge that the technical support of Leica Italy is very efficient .. but the software problems must be solved in Switzerland ... and therefore it takes time.
Piercarlo
daniel.jansson
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Daniel Jansson
Company Details: Scior Geomanagement AB
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Consultant

Post by daniel.jansson »

Yes, we have the same problem. Both that sometimes control points aren't used at all but at best each control point is only used from one scan position selected randomly basically.

The only workaround we have found is to split up the bundle and apply control to each bundle. Then sometimes you get more control points used.
Otherwise, it has worked for us to remove the targets from all scans that we don't want to be used, or manually mark the targets in the scans that actually are closest or best to use with the control. Then at least they are selected.

This basically makes R360 unusable for any higher accuracy requirements which is a shame. We have gotten no replies from the support on an ETA for this. Can't understand how this isn't a bigger deal for Leica and that it still isn't a hotfix released for this issue.

We asked for Cyclone core licenses as a replacement until this gets fixed, so at least we got that for each of our R360 licenses.
JLarson
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jason Larson
Company Details: McLaren Engineering Group
Company Position Title: Technical Director - Geomatics

Post by JLarson »

I was told from a Leica rep that R360 useless for higher end work and that we should just use Cyclone Core for final registration. I've also been told that R360 is the future. This is all very frustrating, as it worked just fine before and they broke it. :x

I agree this is something Leica should be spending nights and weekends to repair, as it is fundamental to the proper execution of the work.
Jason Larson, PLS
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

Fixes coming very soon...
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

JLarson wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:25 pm I was told from a Leica rep that R360 useless for higher end work and that we should just use Cyclone Core for final registration. I've also been told that R360 is the future. This is all very frustrating, as it worked just fine before and they broke it. :x

I agree this is something Leica should be spending nights and weekends to repair, as it is fundamental to the proper execution of the work.
We had problem with our BLK360 and applying control also in v2021.1.
You are right that the release notes are mis-labeled with the sub version number-common Leica Scenario
We have two licenses of REg 360 . One Workstation is running v2021.1 and one 2021.0 . I had imported the job into v2021.1 and when applied control had the issue with the random assigning to scan station far away from the target. My civil designer in the office was still able to reconnect to the V2021.1 from his v2021.0- so I think any versions sub-version in 2021 are compatible. He was able to get a regular application of control (every station that had targets labeled linked to the scan target control. And when I opened it again (reconnected ) from v2021.1 I was able to see all the applied Ctrl links- go figure...I hope they put out another subversion patch that fixes that....soon v2021.2 ??
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by pburrows145 »

Update coming very soon to address the issue.
daniel.jansson
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Daniel Jansson
Company Details: Scior Geomanagement AB
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Consultant

Post by daniel.jansson »

pburrows145 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:57 am Fixes coming very soon...
It is creeping up to a month soon and over a month since this bug appeared. Any news on this yet? Our Leica representatives can't really help since even they don't get any answers either.

Duplicating the control doesn't always solve it either.

So when it has to be right, we still can't use Register 360 at least.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by pburrows145 »

It should be out today... possibly later this evening (as uploaded US -time).
badam
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: none
Company Position Title: none
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

pburrows145 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:19 pm It should be out today... possibly later this evening (as uploaded US -time).
In the official site it seem like updated but in the zip the old 2021.1.0 release can be found, I've got a link from our sales rep i'm not sure if i supposed to share it or not but here it is...

https://hexmet-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/ ... g?e=x2yzEh

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”