Cloud control control point and best practices

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 related issues here.
crullier
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Cesar R
Company Details: DDS
Company Position Title: DDS

Cloud control control point and best practices

Post by crullier »

Hi there guys I recently started using Cyclone field 360 with our BLK and have been making the transition from recap mobile which we used in the past.

Without having a bring a surveyor onsite to support our scanning activities does any know if we can use the P2P capabilities of a Leica S910 to shoot some virtual points or target on-site and bring those into Cyclone BLK - just to have "some" sort of control?.

I was also watching some videos from Andy on registering point clouds. Is it a must to close all links or "close the loop" when linking point clouds?
I would think that this would be difficult to accomplish when scanning interiors of a building for instance or a site with many obstructions?

we recently scanned a 12 SF warehouse that was pretty empty. My hunch initially was to start at one corner and work my way around, but I am wondering if a better strategy would have been to start at the centermost spot and then to back to the edged and take some filler scans (which you need with a BLK for instance due to the limited range)

PS: How are you guys scanning multiple floors and making sure your point clouds line up vertically?
Thank you and sorry for all the questions bundles ;)
Mrk
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Mark Lane
Company Details: LTS Lockley
Company Position Title: 3D Laser Scanning and BIM
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Cloud control control point and best practices

Post by Mrk »

crullier wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:02 pm Hi there guys I recently started using Cyclone field 360 with our BLK and have been making the transition from recap mobile which we used in the past.

Without having a bring a surveyor onsite to support our scanning activities does any know if we can use the P2P capabilities of a Leica S910 to shoot some virtual points or target on-site and bring those into Cyclone BLK - just to have "some" sort of control?.

I was also watching some videos from Andy on registering point clouds. Is it a must to close all links or "close the loop" when linking point clouds?
I would think that this would be difficult to accomplish when scanning interiors of a building for instance or a site with many obstructions?

we recently scanned a 12 SF warehouse that was pretty empty. My hunch initially was to start at one corner and work my way around, but I am wondering if a better strategy would have been to start at the centermost spot and then to back to the edged and take some filler scans (which you need with a BLK for instance due to the limited range)

PS: How are you guys scanning multiple floors and making sure your point clouds line up vertically?
Thank you and sorry for all the questions bundles ;)
You might be able to setup a weak control using a plumb bob and disto via placing a target between the flights in the stair core on each level. This is hardly a robust target network though.

Loop closure is important, but seeing as you're not using control I'd say it's critical.

I definitely recommend hiring a surveyor to establish control. You'll be able to find a few nearby via the trade locator.
Mark Lane
Sydney, Australia
TLS Tools
LTS Lockley

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”