Pointcloud tiling software for .e57/.pts files

Euclideon GEOVERSE, SOLIBRI Model Checker, BCF, ScanManager, GreenSpider, GeomaticsCUBE.
Inception
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Travis Long
Company Details: CADDS Group
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

Pointcloud tiling software for .e57/.pts files

Post by Inception »

I'm searching for a software suite/plugin that provides a simple method for pointclouds to be segmented by 'tiles'.

Some co-workers of mine have used lastool (lasclip) for previous mobile scanning data, however this only supports .las/.laz files. We are looking for an equivalent program that can deal with a wider variety of point cloud formats (.e57/.pts)

Any help or points in a certain direction would be appreciated :)
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Pointcloud tiling software for .e57/.pts files

Post by jedfrechette »

PDAL works great for this:

https://pdal.io/apps/tile.html

It supports las/laz, e57, pts, as well as a bunch of other formats.
Jed
rollorigby
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Rollo Rigby
Company Details: Severn Partnership
Company Position Title: Project Manager

Post by rollorigby »

FME also does this quite well across a number of formats
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

SCC has a wide range of tiling options and works with all open formats. This includes tiling and filtering based on grids, volumes (3d grids), chainage / offset ranges (e.g. distance along roads, rails, etc..), point count and arbitrary input polygons.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

forgive my ignorance but what's the advantage of tiling?
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by smacl »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:46 am forgive my ignorance but what's the advantage of tiling?
A few that come to mind;
  • For very large models, such as road and rail, it enables multiple people to be working on the deliverable at one time. So for example, if you'd captured a 40k road network with a Pegasus system, your could give 4 operators 10k each and be able deliver the final job much faster.
  • Huge point cloud, e.g. 10s or 100s of billions of points, may very slow or impossible to process on some hardware and software configurations. In this scenario, tiling allows you to work with very large datasets on modest hardware.
  • Many geographical processing algorithms have a complexity greater than order n or O(n), e.g. O(n log n) or even O(n * n). If you throw a huge amount of unsegmented data at such algorithms, they will take an unacceptably long time to complete.
  • Tiled datasets can be faster to load, save and archive.
  • In very large areas, projects can be tiled for geodetic reasons, where each tile has an effective scale factor of 1.0 for engineering purposes and its own parameters to move between cartesian and geodetic coordinates. The London Survey Grid would be an example of this. High flown national mapping LAS data can be sparse and cover huge areas
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

smacl wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:59 am
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:46 am forgive my ignorance but what's the advantage of tiling?
A few that come to mind;
  • For very large models, such as road and rail, it enables multiple people to be working on the deliverable at one time. So for example, if you'd captured a 40k road network with a Pegasus system, your could give 4 operators 10k each and be able deliver the final job much faster.
  • Huge point cloud, e.g. 10s or 100s of billions of points, may very slow or impossible to process on some hardware and software configurations. In this scenario, tiling allows you to work with very large datasets on modest hardware.
  • Many geographical processing algorithms have a complexity greater than order n or O(n), e.g. O(n log n) or even O(n * n). If you throw a huge amount of unsegmented data at such algorithms, they will take an unacceptably long time to complete.
  • In very large areas, projects can be tiled for geodetic reasons, where each tile has an effective scale factor of 1.0 for engineering purposes and its own parameters to move between cartesian and geodetic coordinates. The London Survey Grid would be an example of this. High flown national mapping LAS data can be sparse and cover huge areas
Thanks Shane.

So you can select the tile to load in case of a road project for exemple and then the data itself will be loaded on the machine?
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by smacl »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:54 pm
smacl wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:59 am
A few that come to mind;
Thanks Shane.

So you can select the tile to load in case of a road project for exemple and then the data itself will be loaded on the machine?
Hi Lieven,

Yes, a tile is essentially just another point cloud which is a subset of a larger point cloud. Sometimes you use different tiles on different PCs, other times on the same PC to overcome speed and memory limitations. In SCC in addition to automated tiling on import, we also allow creation of tiles on the fly, which is a bit like having a persistent limit box and navigation tools to interactively change tiles,

Shane
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by smacl »

The latest update to SCC adds some significant new tiling functionality that includes on the fly tiling and conversion of massive point clouds using large polygon sets. Many thanks to Craig Papachrisostomou of Plowman Craven for properly putting this through its paces, tiling a 2 terabytes dataset across 30 thousand polygons, 250 of which contained data, to produce E57 files. Sample video of how this works below

youtu.be/J2AbxRPE_y0
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by VXGrid »

Oh I'm late to the party.
You can do tiling in PointCab Origins as well.
Outputformats are for example rcp, las/laz, e57, xyz, ...

Return to “Third Party Software & Plugins”