I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Dara K
Company Details: Cabinet Olliver
Company Position Title: Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Faro S150 High detail scan window

Post by KGEConsult »

Hi folks,

We have a large elevation survey to complete and I am wondering is there a simple way of doing a high detail scan of selected area, rather than doing a high details scan of the whole street area.

I was previously a Leica user and we would high detail scan a selected area in order to save data and time.

It would be great as we will be scanning from a distance and don't want to do 25min scans all day.

Thanks in advance.

D
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Faro S150 High detail scan window

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Don't know with the new scanners fom Faro but i did it sometimes and a detail scan is considered a new scan which has to be registered like the other scans.

I placed some paper targets in the detail scan to secure good registration.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Forte and Tablada
Company Position Title: somniator

Post by jcoco3 »

The S series scanners have the high detail feature built in. It has been improved since the older units and does not require targeting. The windowed scan(s) are added in a "group" with the original scan and are imported as a cluster into scene that is already aligned/registered.

Eugene has made one of his excellent tutorial videos just for it :D

youtu.be/0coHadpUYdo

Edit: It does not have to be used solely for targets, and can be used to scan other areas of interest.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

jcoco3 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:31 pm The S series scanners have the high detail feature built in. It has been improved since the older units and does not require targeting. The windowed scan(s) are added in a "group" with the original scan and are imported as a cluster into scene that is already aligned/registered.

Eugene has made one of his excellent tutorial videos just for it :D

youtu.be/0coHadpUYdo

Edit: It does not have to be used solely for targets, and can be used to scan other areas of interest.
Jonathan, i knew it was possible but didn't know from which line of scanners this was.
The Riegl workflow is that a detail scan is in the same scan position and no registration is needed as it uses all the position values from the initial scan.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Forte and Tablada
Company Position Title: somniator

Post by jcoco3 »

Yeah, as Eugene says in the video it was introduced in a firmware update to the S series. We tested the feature to see how well the subsequent group scans are aligned to the initial scan and while our efforts were not exhaustive we couldn't find any signs of misalignment as it used to be in the older scanners between scans from the same position. As a word of caution for anyone using the feature...all efforts to stabilize the scanner during these group scans should be made since any tilt or position change between the end of the initial scan and subsequent scans are not accounted for. I know this is a bit obvious, and we should always be trying to create a robust setup environment for every scan...just thought I would add that comment as these groups can take a long time.
KGEConsult
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Dara K
Company Details: Cabinet Olliver
Company Position Title: Engineer

Post by KGEConsult »

Update.

Hi folks, we scanned the building using this technique and used the 1/2 scan quality. It worked really well and probanbly saved us hours and a few GBs of data.

We use Realworks for PP and because of this, I did a C2C registration between the high quality window scan and the original 360 lower quality scan. Everything came in nice and tight.

Cheers.

Return to “FARO”