UAV for photogrammetry as a complementary tool

Discuss all Construction & Architecture related issues here.
Peder
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Peder Lindbom
Company Details: AIX
Company Position Title: Architect
Linkedin Profile: No

UAV for photogrammetry as a complementary tool

Post by Peder »

Hello all!

I am considering upgrading my UAV from the original Mavic. One important use would be to supplement my terrestrial laser scanner to capture roofs and other features not visible from the ground using a drone.

My experience with the original Mavic was decent but the level of details by the photogrammetry was noisy.

I am assuming that I need a better camera to have better results. But my question is what level of drone would be required for this?

For instance I was looking at the new Mavic Air 2 which has a nice pricetag -but is the camera good enough?

Otherwise I was looking at the Mavic Pro which exists in two versions the one with the Hasselblad camera as well as a version with a zoom lens. The zoom version has a High rez mode which uses pano stitching that might work unless it throws the photogrammetry software off?

Or does anyone have other recommendations? -I was for instance also looking at a drone called Autel Evo 2 -that looked to have great specs.

Or perhaps it is better to hire external help for these kinds of tasks?
RobM
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Robin Miller
Company Details: My own boss
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Re: UAV for photogrammetry as a complementary tool

Post by RobM »

I`ve been using the Mavic Pro 2 since it came out (the Hasselblad version) and cant complain at all.. Considering its a €2000 euro drone it gives me better results and performance than my Asctec Falcon 8 (which, to be fair is almost 10 years old now)
Bohdan gutnyk
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Bohdan Gutnyk
Company Details: 3dm company in kiev
Company Position Title: 3dm
Skype Name: bohdangutnyk

Re: UAV for photogrammetry as a complementary tool

Post by Bohdan gutnyk »

Peder wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:57 am Hello all!

I am considering upgrading my UAV from the original Mavic. One important use would be to supplement my terrestrial laser scanner to capture roofs and other features not visible from the ground using a drone.

My experience with the original Mavic was decent but the level of details by the photogrammetry was noisy.

I am assuming that I need a better camera to have better results. But my question is what level of drone would be required for this?

For instance I was looking at the new Mavic Air 2 which has a nice pricetag -but is the camera good enough?

Otherwise I was looking at the Mavic Pro which exists in two versions the one with the Hasselblad camera as well as a version with a zoom lens. The zoom version has a High rez mode which uses pano stitching that might work unless it throws the photogrammetry software off?

Or does anyone have other recommendations? -I was for instance also looking at a drone called Autel Evo 2 -that looked to have great specs.

Or perhaps it is better to hire external help for these kinds of tasks?
For photogrammetry, it is better to use a drone with a matrix size of 1 inch, This is either a Phantom 4 Pro or a Mavic 2 Pro.

Also, a lot depends on the software that you use for reconstruction, as for me, Reality Capture gives cleaner edges on the roof than agisoft photoscan.

Return to “Construction & Architecture”