V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: David Dustin
Company Details: FARO Technologies
Company Position Title: Director of Product Marketing
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Spot,the robot dog, with FARO S class laser scanner on top

Post by ddustin »

Kolt45 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:49 am As of now Spot looks great but it is one of the early products of its kind. From what I heard it needs a "dog-walker". Someone essentially needs to program it how to move around, set it off, make sure it does not get stuck anywhere, etc. Not sure this is true but battery life on it is 60-90 minutes too. It means you get a dog for 75k then need to hire a person to take care of it and buy a scanner to mount on top. Why not just have a scanning guy with a scanner to do the same job faster?

It is more of a marketing stunt that a feasible model as of now. I hope in 5-10 years we will get to the point where it will make sense.

On the other hand - have you seen Brain Corp self driving cleaning robots at Walmarts? I feel like those could be a great fit in retail / office environments to mount scanners in them. They are taller too.
Marek,
It's actually quite far along. I'm not at liberty to say more except it's not a marketing stunt I can assure you.
Director of Industry Solutions | Public Safety
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by gsisman »

ddustin wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:11 pm
Kolt45 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:49 am As of now Spot looks great but it is one of the early products of its kind. From what I heard it needs a "dog-walker". Someone essentially needs to program it how to move around, set it off, make sure it does not get stuck anywhere, etc. Not sure this is true but battery life on it is 60-90 minutes too. It means you get a dog for 75k then need to hire a person to take care of it and buy a scanner to mount on top. Why not just have a scanning guy with a scanner to do the same job faster?

It is more of a marketing stunt that a feasible model as of now. I hope in 5-10 years we will get to the point where it will make sense.

On the other hand - have you seen Brain Corp self driving cleaning robots at Walmarts? I feel like those could be a great fit in retail / office environments to mount scanners in them. They are taller too.
Marek,
It's actually quite far along. I'm not at liberty to say more except it's not a marketing stunt I can assure you.
Well if you want another test site, Dave, you can come to DC area. I got a bunch of very old (80-100 yr old) large Concrete box drains (7-20 feet wide0 in Montgomery County that need scan located and inspected -and running in confined-space apparatus and trained personnel with mobile scanners is not really realistic......
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

'Fluffy' aka 'Spot the robot dog', changes spots on top

Post by Scott »

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/fo ... it-factory
Ford Uses Robot Dogs To Map Plant, Human Surveyors No Longer Needed
"Ford Motor Company is set to abandoned traditional human surveyors for robot dogs with sensors to laser map a production plant ahead of retooling.

Ford partnered with Boston Dynamics to digitally map its Van Dyke Transmission Plant in Michigan. The data will enable engineers to retool the plant for future products. The ability to use robot dogs, outfitted with sensors, is a much timelier and cost-effective approach than using human surveyors".
Cont... see video, link above.

P.S. The timing really sucks, IMHO, after a week of horrific GDP reports in the USA and Germany. Sorry, Fluff-Spot, no bone for you!
Leandre Robitaille
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

I find it funny how ford is selling this as if they are saving money by having this done with a drone dog

Return to “FARO”