I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Andrew
Company Details: Medina Surveys
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

Autocad selecting objects nightmare

Post by fobos8 »

Hi guys
I'm Autocad doing some floor plans. The point cloud is in the background and I'm tracing over a slice of it.

Whenever I use the selection tool (left click and drag a green dashed box) the point cloud keeps getting selected instead of producing the normal green dashed box. I want to select lines to fillet or trim them. If I zoom in right on the line or left click in between point all is well but as soon as I select over a point the point cloud gets selected and I can't select my line work.

3d osnap is off, 2d node snap is off, point cloud bounding line is "always off". I've tried putting the point cloud in a locked layer but it still gets selected.

It's driving me nuts! Any suggestions??

Cheers, Andrew

tengui
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: NEDELEC Tanguy
Company Details: Prigent et Associes

Re: Autocad selecting objects nightmare

Post by tengui »

There's no real solution to this issue to my knowledge. Personally I put the pointcloud in a dedicated layer, and made a macro with an alias to freeze/unfreeze that layer.

landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

tengui wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:31 am
There's no real solution to this issue to my knowledge. Personally I put the pointcloud in a dedicated layer, and made a macro with an alias to freeze/unfreeze that layer.
That's the way to go indeed
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]

TMillington
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Tony Millington
Company Details: ISIS Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Company Position Title: Survey section leader
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by TMillington »

Hi Andrew

I've just had a quick go at replicating your problem (in ACAD 18).
The 'crossing' selection tool does select the pointcloud along with eg lines, but if the autocad command doesn't apply to clouds (ie 'trim') the cloud is screened out and the command only applies to the lines.
I find inadvertently snapping to the cloud or points in the cloud is more of a problem, but that is easily fixed by unselecting the pointcloud options in 3DOSNAP.

Hope that helps

Regards

fobos8
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Andrew
Company Details: Medina Surveys

Post by fobos8 »

Thanks for the replies
TMillington wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:30 pm
I've just had a quick go at replicating your problem (in ACAD 18).
The 'crossing' selection tool does select the pointcloud along with eg lines, but if the autocad command doesn't apply to clouds (ie 'trim') the cloud is screened out and the command only applies to the lines.
if you zoom right in on a point and then left-click over the point and move the mouse to the left, the selection tool doesn't work on my set up (Autocad 2019). The only way I can get it to work is to click not right on a point.

Cheers, Andrew

rpettener
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Robert Pettener
Company Details: Survey Operations
Company Position Title: CAD Development Manager

Post by rpettener »

If you start the command first rather than pre-selecting objects you can type C <to manually enter crossing window mode, or W for window. Then it won't be able to inadvertently select the point cloud. There is also WP and CP for window poly and crossing poly, or F for fence.

sim.herrod
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: Scan and CAD Tech

Post by sim.herrod »

fobos8 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:18 am
Hi guys
I'm Autocad doing some floor plans. The point cloud is in the background and I'm tracing over a slice of it.

Whenever I use the selection tool (left click and drag a green dashed box) the point cloud keeps getting selected instead of producing the normal green dashed box. I want to select lines to fillet or trim them. If I zoom in right on the line or left click in between point all is well but as soon as I select over a point the point cloud gets selected and I can't select my line work.

3d osnap is off, 2d node snap is off, point cloud bounding line is "always off". I've tried putting the point cloud in a locked layer but it still gets selected.

It's driving me nuts! Any suggestions??

Cheers, Andrew
Are you using Recap point cloud or Cloudworx?

scott.diaz
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: Scott Diaz
Company Details: FARO Technologies
Company Position Title: Business Development

Post by scott.diaz »

Hi All, make sure to turn on "selection cycling" in AutoCAD. Turn on at bottom right of screen where you can choose osnaps, ortho, lineweight, etc.When you hover your mouse over objects that are on top of each other (line on a line, point cloud on a line, etc.) you will see a tiny square appear above your mouse. Havent open CAD in a bit but i think you can just left click when you see this box and it will allow you to select between the overlaid objects so you can pick the one you want.

If doing a mass selection and you accidentally grab the cloud then just SHIFT+Click on the point cloud to deselect it. If you dont want to snap to the cloud and just want to trace then of course turn off the point cloud NODE snap you can find in the osnaps menu.

Return to “General Chat”