NavVis VLX - wearable mapping

Discuss all NavVis related products here.
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Georg Schroth
Company Details: NavVis
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: NavVis VLX - wearable mapping

Post by GeorgSchroth »

Occasionally I like to go out in the field and just do a scan with NavVis VLX to see where to further improve our products. This time I chose Königsplatz located in the heart of Munich. I hope you like these kind of scans, both doing them and viewing them afterwards as much as I do :)
BTW: this video is made with the new software release improving VLX further on many dimensions like accruacy, level of detail, panoramic HDR quality etc.

Happy easter everyone!

youtu.be/2yYwxefaVoQ
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

GeorgSchroth wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:40 pm BTW: this video is made with the new software release improving VLX further on many dimensions like accruacy, level of detail, panoramic HDR quality etc.
Is the new software release limited to the VLX or does it cover other Navvis mobile products?
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

GeorgSchroth wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:40 pm Occasionally I like to go out in the field and just do a scan with NavVis VLX to see where to further improve our products. This time I chose Königsplatz located in the heart of Munich. I hope you like these kind of scans, both doing them and viewing them afterwards as much as I do :)
BTW: this video is made with the new software release improving VLX further on many dimensions like accruacy, level of detail, panoramic HDR quality etc.

Happy easter everyone!

youtu.be/2yYwxefaVoQ
Nice Georg. Can you also post a video of the people who see you scanning? Would love to see their reaction with the vlx around the shoulders
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott »

Nice one, I'm impressed once more.
It would be helpful to see 'how the sausage is made', however, similar to Eugene Liscio's recent (excellent) iPhone lidar/FARO comparisons: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=17658&p=92467#p92467.

How did you get points on top of the column capitals?
Show us your path (sped up).

Additionally, take your recent test data and create some traditional deliverables from it (plan, section, RCP etc.). Show us how easy it is! The videos are eye catching, but not what my clients actually need (or pay for). ~S
Kolt45
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Marek Koltun
Company Position Title: Salesguy

Post by Kolt45 »

Happy to show your some sample data, Scott! Feel free to PM.
Scott wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:35 pm Nice one, I'm impressed once more.
It would be helpful to see 'how the sausage is made', however, similar to Eugene Liscio's recent (excellent) iPhone lidar/FARO comparisons: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=17658&p=92467#p92467.

How did you get points on top of the column capitals?
Show us your path (sped up).

Additionally, take your recent test data and create some traditional deliverables from it (plan, section, RCP etc.). Show us how easy it is! The videos are eye catching, but not what my clients actually need (or pay for). ~S
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by GeorgSchroth »

Hi Scott,

thanks for asking. I will try to give you a bit more background around the scan and the other results you get from the processing.
As a remark: this is certainly not the best scan to explain a typical workflow, since I was taking a lot of time to test out new things. Part of this was testing the new HDR panos, so I took more than 350 panoramic images under quite challenging light conditions (dark scene with parts in direct sunlight or even looking directly into the sun).

Have a look at this one and there are a few more attached below. Each pano is triggered manually by a hardware button right at the handle or you can also turn on auto trigger every meter.
00293-pano_j.jpg
Regarding the trajectory: On your VLX screen you will see how the so-called quality map is building up and showing you what you have scanned in what density and where you took panos or control points.

After processing you get this quality map also as a file (see below) to make sure your team did a diligent job and everything is scanned.
In my quality map below you see that I did indeed a very diligent job ;D (as mentioned I did want to test a few things and not scan fast).
Let me know if you want to know what is best practice for scanning (how fast, how to close loops, what else to consider). In the end it is not that complicated to get a very high quality, and you probably want to see it live in one of our virtual demos where you see how we map live. Marek can send you an invite :)
qualitymap.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by GeorgSchroth »

One more note: in the panos I uploaded you don't see the full resolution, which is actually 8192 × 4096 or 4 individual 20MP fisheye images. The forum reduces the size on upload.

Also, I chose to take images with hardly any ppl or cars on it. But as pointed out above: A lot of people were hanging around in the sun and the streets were busy with cars. Thanks to our dynamic object filter you don't see them in the point cloud which save tons of times in outdoor jobs particularly.
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by GeorgSchroth »

OK, as promised here are the sections in both vertical and horizontal.
What do you think?

portal Koenig.png
horizontal Koenig.png
full portal Koenig.png
Also found the corresponding as-planned drawings :)
old drawing.png

Again when uploading you loose on the resolution, so I created a zoom in to show some more details of this amazing piece of architecture.
The dotted line are the fences by the way.
Screenshot 2021-04-06 at 21.26.39.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott »

GeorgSchroth wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:29 pm OK, as promised here are the sections in both vertical and horizontal.
What do you think?
Well done and quite informative--better looking than I expected. Keep going! (it's your data) Bring it into the current versions of Revit & Autocad (via ReCap) to show how the VLX data imports, looks once converted, and how it dimensions in those platforms. Scan-to-BIM is only as good as its weakest link (I think you are deserving some stars)...don't be timid. ~S
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

Great product Geroge! That device is in my next buying plans!
I think in your case with the temple that if you want to draw the elevation or other details a TLS is a must!
I tried it to do something similar with a heritage here with one slam device and the draw the elevations details with awful results. Then I made ascan with a TLS with far better results.

Return to “NavVis”