I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Tom Elbich
Company Details: Solid Ventures Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Faro Warranty Renewal COVID-19 Economic Impact

Post by surveypm »

Well, my M70 warranty is up for renewal, but the more than $3,000 USD is a lot to spend considering the COVID-19 event. Cash conservation is a critical factor for small businesses. It would be helpful if Faro considers helping some of their small business customers through this in some manner; maybe a discount or current warranty renewal extension for the next 6 months. Otherwise I may just abandon the warranty and wait out the economic impact of the virus on business, or sell my scanner. I'm not sure if others are seeing a drop off in business, but in my area it's fallen off a cliff. Everything seems to be on hold in this unpredictable situation.
brian715
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brian Boehmer
Company Details: Meridian Eng.
Company Position Title: LiDAR Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Faro Warranty Renewal COVID-19 Economic Impact

Post by brian715 »

As of now our business is still doing well. Construction efforts are ramping up and moving forward in our area just as they do every spring. We may see some things a little bit slower as far as our DOT work but because all of our work is on sites, and can be processed from anywhere with a computer, at the moment we are seeing little impact on our day to day work.
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

I advise you not to extend the warranty if you analyze the consequences of a virus you will be scared.
Economic analytics that we have spoken with them wait for the worst scenarios after some months...
God bless as.. Year 2020 will not be the same as others..
surveypm
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Tom Elbich
Company Details: Solid Ventures Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by surveypm »

Yes Ioannis, my thoughts also. Might as well save the cash. Manufacturer's facilities where I've worked are banning all except their own employees and then even restricting them to their own departments. Projects are shutting down in anticipation of the worsening conditions.
Both a human and economic tragedy.
I guess I'll have to do something else.
Be safe.
WWilford
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Warren Wilford
Company Details: Berkshire Dimensions
Company Position Title: owner

Post by WWilford »

Tom,

I have fully and partially owned three small companies starting in 1985. One of my projects that I was working at in 1987 when the market crashed was a very wealthy individual who was heavily invested in the market. He did not blink an eye and actually increased his spending on current projects and started new ones. Just starting in business I was not in a position to make any major purchases but noticed that prices were more advantageous if I were in a position to do so. Business picked back up after a short time of tightening the belt. Remembering this experience in later downturns I have taken the opportunity to make major purchases of equipment, buy out suppliers, etc., things always picked back up and the investments proved to be a good idea. I know it sounds a little counter intuitive but I would be looking for opportunities and investments in your current venture if it is something you enjoy doing. I would wager that there will be some good deals soon on hardware and software. Purchasing now is a win win for everyone, businesses need sales and purchasers get a good deal.In the field our profession is naturally socially isolating and it is easy to stay safe and continue working for forward thinking clients.How many times have we wished there were less people in the way on a scanning project? Just make sure they will be in a position to pay you when you have completed your work.

I wish good health to all during this ordeal. Although I have not met many here personally it is a very good community.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

WWilford wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:15 am Tom,

I have fully and partially owned three small companies starting in 1985. One of my projects that I was working at in 1987 when the market crashed was a very wealthy individual who was heavily invested in the market. He did not blink an eye and actually increased his spending on current projects and started new ones. Just starting in business I was not in a position to make any major purchases but noticed that prices were more advantageous if I were in a position to do so. Business picked back up after a short time of tightening the belt. Remembering this experience in later downturns I have taken the opportunity to make major purchases of equipment, buy out suppliers, etc., things always picked back up and the investments proved to be a good idea. I know it sounds a little counter intuitive but I would be looking for opportunities and investments in your current venture if it is something you enjoy doing. I would wager that there will be some good deals soon on hardware and software. Purchasing now is a win win for everyone, businesses need sales and purchasers get a good deal.In the field our profession is naturally socially isolating and it is easy to stay safe and continue working for forward thinking clients.How many times have we wished there were less people in the way on a scanning project? Just make sure they will be in a position to pay you when you have completed your work.

I wish good health to all during this ordeal. Although I have not met many here personally it is a very good community.
+1

Belgium is in sort of lockdown. I am one of the lucky ones who still can continu regarding the restrictions because i work alone and have an office at home.
I still get calls for info for possible new jobs, when this is dealt with business will certainly pick up again. B2B will survive this.
It's the small retail and bars etc who rely on consumers who will suffer the most, especially because they will be closed for at least 3 weeks.

Think of possible new opportunities which will arise, i'm certain of it.

Heads up everyone and keep safe!
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Peter Blake
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Peter Robert Blake
Company Details: PB INDUSTRIAL DESIGN
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Peter Blake »

DELETED
Last edited by Peter Blake on Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brian715
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brian Boehmer
Company Details: Meridian Eng.
Company Position Title: LiDAR Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by brian715 »

Tried postponing our warranty maintenance once. Bad Idea. Cost us thousands in trying to process scans that had to be re-scanned due to calibration not being in spec. Also, large clients require equipment to have current calibrations. If you want these jobs that make owning a scanner worth it, I can't see how you could possibly go without calibrating your equipment. Seems short sighted IMO.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

brian715 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:33 pm Tried postponing our warranty maintenance once. Bad Idea. Cost us thousands in trying to process scans that had to be re-scanned due to calibration not being in spec.
If you aren't continuously and rigorously checking your data this can just as easily happen with a "valid" calibration certificate sitting in your files.
brian715 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:33 pmAlso, large clients require equipment to have current calibrations.
This is probably the most pragmatic reason to keep current. You've got to check those boxes.
Jed

Return to “FARO”