Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Personal integrity when scanning

Post by Matt Young »

steves01x wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:04 pm Never blurred or been asked to blur anyone or anything - but the client on almost all our jobs owns the buildings, pays the staffs wages in the offices/rooms in these buildings etc. None of the data is ever publicly available - always straight to the client.

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:25 am I scan everything and don't bother with blurring faces as long as the client doesn't ask this.

I problalbly get flamed for this but we have to deal with so much hassle, i could blur everyone but who is gonna pay for it...
Client - oh you cant go in that room, its my personal space.... deliver model with no wall thickness and an entire room missing due to no access. We have missed the odd rooms on larger jobs due to keys missing/no one claiming ownership or use of the room. But usually unless the door is of some historical value the client arranges for it to be "opened" :lol:

Could you image the time on a larger job, 1000 scans, 1000 panos to either photo shop before going in to the point cloud... or if it was on Leica RTC/P40 having to then pay for Publisher Pro, export the panos, photo shop them then re-import. :roll:
I don't need to imagine it's a reality for me and worse ;)
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by smacl »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:25 am I scan everything and don't bother with blurring faces as long as the client doesn't ask this.

The data i produce goes to my client or stays indoors. It doesn't get placed on a webserver, only transferring through filesharing.

I keep everything forever because of my 10 year liability and for later use as my grand database.

I could make a document for my client to sign but what do you do with people and cars passing by?

I personally think that in this age where everyone takes pics and planes them on facebook without you knowing the scanning business shouldn't be regulated more. The one thing i would say is that interiors of houses where the location is to be found is a no go online.

I problalbly get flamed for this but we have to deal with so much hassle, i could blur everyone but who is gonna pay for it...
I was at a Leica seminar recently and a big part of what they're doing at the moment is adding ML functionality to automatically blur faces and number plates in HD photography and scan data. I'm guessing most of the other vendors are doing the same thing and would tend to use the functionality when its there and up until that point just get your client to sign a disclaimer. Bit of a risk, but when you look at social media platforms and youtube that are full of this data, I'd guess it is a minor one.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
jsteinert
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: joshua steinert
Company Details: pb2 architecture + engineering
Company Position Title: Graphics Manager

Post by jsteinert »

If someone mentions their likeness being recorded while I am on-site at a public location... I tend to remind them that their likeness is already being recorded by the client in many location outside and inside the location they are at, and my data is only utilized for measuring and documenting the building/site.
I appreciate continued improvement of rescan/moving object removal to remove people, and feel this is not as much of an issue as it may have been a few years ago.
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

I have a fair bit of experience with this. I surveyed every Thames valley police Station in the UK as well as the Victoria Police Headquarters in Melbourne, Australia, which was scanned. I had to go through very strict security checks etc and we also signed disclaimers that no data would be passed externally or w were liable for prosecution. Regarding the Melbourne job, all photo's taken were sent to them for verification. We scanned using the TIMMS system and halfway through, they banned photographs, so we just bagged the camera.

I have also worked at film studios a fair bit and have always signed agreements that I wouldn't leak details or talk about what I saw, same as when we did some F1 testing areas. I think the pattern emerging here is that there is always the possibility for repercussions depending where you are and what you're scanning. the best thing to do is always cover yourself with a disclaimer and if you are scanning in public, it is surely up to the person to request they be removed from any data, as long as you have permission from the land owner, should be fine.

Return to “Building Information Modeling [BIM]”