Applying survey controls to P40 scans post scanning

Discuss all Oil & Gas Industry related issues here.
joel.hicks
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Joel
Company Details: 4Z Pty Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Skype Name: joel_4z
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Applying survey controls to P40 scans post scanning

Post by joel.hicks »

Dear Forum,

I have completed a scanning campaign on a jet fuel tank here in Australia to measure tank wall deformation. The tank was scanned externally 100%.

The scan also captured bund wall details etc too as we leave the scanner to do full dome scans.

The client has asked if the data can now be aligned to our country height datum and local survey network controls.

Can this be done retrospectively? the scanning was cloud to cloud based registration (no targets), i am comfortable with the 'flatness' of the scans due to the leica dual axis compensator and we always level the scanner within 10' of each axis.

Thanks for your help

Joel
Joel Hicks
Managing Director
4Z - Industrial Laser Scanning - Australia
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Applying survey controls to P40 scans post scanning

Post by stutosney »

Hi,

Were there any features surrounding the tank, such as furbishing with cornered edges etc? If so, you could go back and get a surveyor to pick up features that are also in the scan, once these features have coordinates, you can create vertexes in Cyclone and give them the relevant coordinates. Not as accurate as using targets as you will be picking the points.

Another approach would be to go back, do some scans with targets around the tank and get a surveyor to control those targets. You could then create a new registration and Cloud to cloud the old data with the new, registered scan data.

Good luck
stu
Mike H
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Michael H
Company Details: CFM
Company Position Title: Senior Surveyor

Re: Applying survey controls to P40 scans post scanning

Post by Mike H »

stutosney wrote:Hi,

Were there any features surrounding the tank, such as furbishing with cornered edges etc? If so, you could go back and get a surveyor to pick up features that are also in the scan, once these features have coordinates, you can create vertexes in Cyclone and give them the relevant coordinates. Not as accurate as using targets as you will be picking the points.

Another approach would be to go back, do some scans with targets around the tank and get a surveyor to control those targets. You could then create a new registration and Cloud to cloud the old data with the new, registered scan data.

Good luck
stu
The first suggestion was going to be mine as well. Find some edge, corner, or point features around the tank and have a surveyor tie them into your control network.

- create a .txt file with these new points. Name them T1, T2 etc.

- import the text file into Cyclone.

- In the model space of your previous registered scan, create vertexs at the same locations as the surveyor has recorded.

- on each vertex, select 'add/edit annotation' and add the corresponding target name. These target names as case sensitive. (Same case as the .txt file)

- Copy the vertexs to the control space.

- Create a new registration and add your .txt file scan world and set it as the home scanworld. Add your previously created scanworld of the tank scan.

- click auto add constraints. This will add the common targets between both scanworlds. Disable any targets above your tolerance, typically around 4mm. Then freeze registration.

Return to “Oil & Gas Industry”