I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Danial Zaidi
Company Details: BIM Engineering Solution and Technology
Company Position Title: BIM Engineer

Accuracy checking with FARO As-Built

Post by danialzaidi »

Greetings everyone,

I'm wondering if it is possible to check the accuracy of an on going project with the 3D model produced during the tender stage?

Lets say if there is this one project, the 3D model has been produced complete from A to Z and then when the construction started, we will then go to the construction site and scan the latest progress (e.g casting of a column) and then check the accuracy of the column(s) with the 3D model produced earlier.

Can it be done?

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Accuracy checking with FARO As-Built

Post by TommyMaddox »

You certainly can, but it would be quicker, more consistent, much more reportable, and more detailed to use the FARO BuildIt software for that purpose. It is purpose built for that application (and other QA/QC you will encounter).

Another thing that would make the process a lot easier for the repeated measurements on site would be establishing permanent site control or target systems to use. This prevents you from having to best fit align constantly and cuts time and uncertainty.
danialzaidi
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Danial Zaidi
Company Details: BIM Engineering Solution and Technology
Company Position Title: BIM Engineer

Post by danialzaidi »

TommyMaddox wrote:You certainly can, but it would be quicker, more consistent, much more reportable, and more detailed to use the FARO BuildIt software for that purpose. It is purpose built for that application (and other QA/QC you will encounter).

Another thing that would make the process a lot easier for the repeated measurements on site would be establishing permanent site control or target systems to use. This prevents you from having to best fit align constantly and cuts time and uncertainty.
Hello TommyMaddox, thanks for your reply.

So it is possible. I will check out the BuildIt software. But another thing, how do I set the origin point to be the same between the 3D model and the scan on site so that I could align the point cloud and the 3D model?

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

Mokeefe
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Mark OKeefe
Company Details: Clearedge3D
Company Position Title: Clearedge3D
Skype Name: markokeefe4
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Mokeefe »

If you are willing to go outside of the Faro brand, there is also Verity, which automatically compares all elements within your model to the point cloud and displays out of tolerance items quite accurately. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcjXsfcZP4E
DuaneDoucet
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Duane Doucet
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Senior Technical Sales Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by DuaneDoucet »

Send me an email at [email protected] and we can go over the different ways to align a point cloud to a model.

Duane Doucet
FARO Sales Engineer

Return to “FARO As-Built”