I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Stephan Vallet
Company Details: Aqualast
Company Position Title: ceo
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Focus power block

Post by alias »

Faro is still trying to sell us battery for nearly 800€ + expensive base... :o
Someone has found another supplier for these parts?
I would be happy to buy a battery at the right price, not the "crazy" price.
Second hand would be a solution aswell.

Lest Hope...
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: Focus power block

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

ok, 800€ is a lot but i find these batteries to be excellent. I generally never understand that people would buy a 40k machine and then pinch on the needed accessories.

In the past i have also bought cheaper batteries for cameras, ... they always ended in the garbage very soon. You get what you pay for.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
alias
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by alias »

Landemeter,

You don't answer the question... And you look like a good support for Faro. Any interest in it?
You just say the Faro price is the right price. Where does it come from? Just because the scanner is expensive?

You don't know anything about the battery tech and the right price for a good battery. good batteries are expensive but a quarter of that price would be already expensive for such a product.
Do you really think Tesla batteries are 1000€ for 100wh ? Do you really think Tesla batteries are to go to the bin at the moment you buy it ?
Sorry but you should think before writing words that really say anything but the truth, just to say that we are wrong in our search and way to think.

So, if anyone knows something about focusX batteries at the right price, it would be great. If not, we will pay the Faro price - which is not the right price for good batteries. :roll:
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

alias wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:23 am Landemeter,

You don't answer the question... And you look like a good support for Faro. Any interest in it?
You just say the Faro price is the right price. Where does it come from? Just because the scanner is expensive?

You don't know anything about the battery tech and the right price for a good battery. good batteries are expensive but a quarter of that price would be already expensive for such a product.
Do you really think Tesla batteries are 1000€ for 100wh ? Do you really think Tesla batteries are to go to the bin at the moment you buy it ?
Sorry but you should think before writing words that really say anything but the truth, just to say that we are wrong in our search and way to think.

So, if anyone knows something about focusX batteries at the right price, it would be great. If not, we will pay the Faro price - which is not the right price for good batteries. :roll:
i definitely have no interest in Faro. I think their support is bad. But with equipment like this it is always best to buy batteries from the original manufactorer.

You ask a question, i answer in my honest opinion. I think you'll have to search for your answers elsewhere. You don't have to attack me on this one mate.

Carry on with cheap stuff and you'll see the benefits for original accessoiries after a while. Especially when a clone battery messes up your gear and faro retract its hands.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
jaredmatthews
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jared
Company Details: Sova Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: jaredmatthews

Post by jaredmatthews »

alias wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:34 pm Faro is still trying to sell us battery for nearly 800€ + expensive base... :o
Someone has found another supplier for these parts?
I would be happy to buy a battery at the right price, not the "crazy" price.
Second hand would be a solution aswell.

Lest Hope...
There is a cheaper way to do it yourself, but it IS risky, so proceed with caution...

The battery blocks are basically a collection of cells that are soldered in a combination of series and parallel configurations.
If you know of anyone with the skills and know-how of how to solder, then you can replace or renew the battery yourself for a lot less.

You have to order the batteries from somewhere local to you that supplies the specific ones.

Here is what is inside the battery block:
battery1.JPG
battery3.JPG

And here is the product code for the individual cells:
battery2.JPG
IMPORTANT:
I have not personally done this yet, as I am still cautious about putting something like this into an expensive piece of kit.

I agree that the prices they charge are astronomical, and there IS a cheaper way to do it yourself, but it comes with a risk if you do not know what you are doing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sim.herrod »

Messing around with 18650 cells if you don't know what you're doing will end badly, and more expensively than a new power block.
alias
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by alias »

Many thanks Jaredmatthews for the pictures !
I would appreciate a picture of the external case to verify is the right model.
Obviously, a good background is necessary to play with batteries, but not rocket science, from far.
It more a matter of good tools and material than technology.
By the way, Faro should propose a recycling special price also... Why not? :?:
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott »

alias wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:31 pm Many thanks Jaredmatthews for the pictures !
I would appreciate a picture of the external case to verify is the right model.
Obviously, a good background is necessary to play with batteries, but not rocket science, from far.
It more a matter of good tools and material than technology.
By the way, Faro should propose a recycling special price also... Why not? :?:
Thanks for the photos!
I'm surprised that no one has found a firm to recycle/rebuild these expensive, essential items. I guess there are too few of them worldwide, to bother. Mine are almost eight years old and still working well, but they will fail at some point. The charger is finicky, to say the least, but it's simple enough to charge them in the scanner (faster, too). Is there a trick to removing the plastic case without destroying it?

Here is an old alternative battery 'thread' that some may appreciate: https://www.laserscanningforum.com/foru ... y&start=10
I got it to work (~50 scans), it's cost effective, but I haven't needed to use it --it's insurance for when a stock battery fails on site. The finger-crossing seems to work.
Last edited by Scott on Tue May 28, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alias
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by alias »

I found a source quite easily : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4PCS-LOT ... 22872.html

There is probably 12 batteries in the box, which mean 60€ public price... Lets say Faro is paying 50€ for each set + work + box + regulation card + others.
If the final price was 400€, Faro would still make a good income (100%?)... Now it is an information, not a supposition.

If Faro customers are happy to give away an extra 400€ just because afraid of nothing, or too busy in making money to pay the next battery, it will stay as it is, with only one winner.
caddrafting2013
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brad
Company Details: 3d scan
Company Position Title: Guru

Post by caddrafting2013 »

From my personal experience don’t spare on the batteries always go with the dealer, Do not buy cheap copies..... you might save upfront but they’re just junk....

It’s your driver of the scanner has to be the best is my opinion.....

Good luck with your search of cheap batteries :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “FARO”