Storage of Point Cloud data

Please post discussions that do not fit into any other category.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Storage of Point Cloud data

Post by dhirota »

gsisman wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:08 pm
dhirota wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:16 pm You might want to check the differences between SATA and SAS HDD; helium filled vs air filled HDD; and raid 6 vs any other raid.

viewtopic.php?f=123&t=11497

Dennis or others,

Do you have any comments on working directly off a RAID 6 setup on a local NAS at 1GB or 10GB connection on NAS & Switch feeding several workstations- and then Archiving older jobs to a Virtual drive on an enterprise network?
Any experience with Leica JetStream? Have you had experience feeding Jetstream to a Cloudworx plugin in AutoDesk?
We use and sell Euclideon Geoverse, which I believe is the core of JetStream, for our dual 10GbE system. The raid 6 is not as fast as raid 5, but when you determine how long it will take to rebuild a 10TB or 12 TB HDD, you will be glad to have two spare HDD instead of one. I have had a time when a second 6TB HDD went down as the replacement for the first was rebuilding. Knock on wood, but our 10TB and 12TB HDD have been moving along for 2 years and one year with no failures, and at least two spares for each server.

The SAS vs SATA will be at 12Gbs vs 6Gbs, so your through put should be significantly faster. If my memory serves me correctly, moving files can be 400 to 600 MB/sec, depending on size and location.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
isaackendall
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Isaac Kendall
Company Details: Scanforce
Company Position Title: co founder
Skype Name: isaackendall

Post by isaackendall »

We use Google drive. As long as you have a fast connection, things work fine.
madgic
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mark Degiovanni
Company Details: 3DUserNet
Company Position Title: Operations Manager
Skype Name: mark.degiovanni.ali

Post by madgic »

Did you know that www.3DUserNet.com stores your original uploads as well the converted data. So not only can you share the 3D data visually, but you can also share the original files with people that you want to.

We're also developing a DataDrop feature to let you store large files online, again that will be great for sharing or just keeping your drives free from large poincloud data. It's in alpha testing at the moment, so hopefully this feature will be available soon.

Mark

Return to “Any Other Issues”