Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Global Target registration optimization

Post by sreed »

Friends,

Maybe this is a Scene question a beginner could answer but i have not had any success finding the answer through research or trial/error:

Is it possible to perform a global (top level) scan registration optimization, to include scans within child clusters, without looking for new correspondences? Allow me to explain further.

Assume a large project (100+ scans). Clusters set up in an organized manner, maybe 2 or 3 levels deep, all locked. The top level registration is a green light with mean tensions around 4-5mm but a few individual correspondences have tensions of 10mm - 15mm. I've confirmed that all the common spheres are acting as correspondences and the registration looks good for the most part.

The question is - can i register the top level without risking breaking any correspondences or finding any new ones that will conflict? Doing so could "smooth" the target tensions throughout the project.
One would think that Disbanding all Scans and Clusters and performing a new registration with the "Search for new correspondences" unchecked would accomplish this, but it will break it apart. Another logical solution is to unlock all clusters and perform a fresh Update Scans command. That too breaks it up. I wish there were a way to Lock a cluster but allow it to "wiggle" to achieve optimum target tensions throughout the project.

Advice appreciated,
-S.
lsf
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Las
Company Details: Sfee
Company Position Title: General

Re: Global Target registration optimization

Post by lsf »

sreed wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:17 pm Is it possible to perform a global (top level) scan registration optimization, to include scans within child clusters, without looking for new correspondences?
Did you ever find a solution to this? I know that this is an old tread but I have pretty much the same question though my workflow is a bit different. I am using the old interface of Scene. I have split all the scans between 4 clusters (1st floor, 2nd floor, basement, exterior). I have automatically matched all sphere targets (Operations > Find Objects > Spheres) of say one of the clusters and on that cluster I do Operations > Registration > Place Scans, which at the end gives me the Scan Manager 'Target Tensions' tab. This approach gives me more than 10mm max target tension so I decided to go one by one. I moved all scans but the first two out of that folder and hit 'Apply' on the Target Tension table to update the data. I open "Create Correspondence Split View" and drag both scans to the new window. If there is a high tension, I right click on that in the Tensions Table and pick "Set Anti Correspondence". Before I do that, I try to remember which scan holds the reference, so that I can go back to that scan and Operations > Correspondences > Delete Correspondences > Delete Anti Correspondences, because many times I will get a message that there are not enough targets and Scene has no undo feature (it's a mess but it is what it is). Sometimes when it gets messy I will hit 'Clear correspondences between shown scans' add some planes and use 'force correspondences' button and constantly hit the Target Tension dialog 'apply' button to see updates. When I am happy with the result, I drag the next scan on one of the windows of the split view. What I have noticed that Scene would show a message about 'correspondences may get lost, what do you want to do', and I have noticed that if I hit 'force current correspondences between shown scans', then I don't get that message. From this I understand that with that button I lock the correspondences of the scans and they would not get lost. I have also noticed that sometimes if I hit 'apply' of Target Tensions tab, then it updates tensions value even if I don't do anything (but lets ignore that).

Now the QUESTION/ISSUE: I have noticed that when I add a new scan to this cluster and hit apply button of the Target Tension tab, then it updates the previous tensions for some reason and actually those previous values that were good get messed up. It seems that the ''force current correspondences between shown scans' is not helping to lock the values. Is there any feature that I can trigger in Scene to say 'please don't touch the previous tensions'? I am not trying to lock the whole cluster, I am within the same cluster, but when I drop a new scan in it, I don't want it to screw up the previous tensions. Is my workflow wrong/inefficient? But I have found that while it is tedious, I can somewhat control the results.

Return to “FARO”