Combine two registrations

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
ponsrud
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Paal Onsrud
Company Details: SSA
Company Position Title: Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Combine two registrations

Post by ponsrud »

Hi, I have scanned a buidling, and I am creating a new registration for each floor using visual aligment.
Now I have created a registration for each floor and I want to combine the registrations with each other using visual aligment in overlapping areas.

I was thinking that the "import registration" tool would to the trick, but when I use that function it only imports the registrations as ungrouped scans, and it will only align one scan at the time. So, my question is: is there a way two combine two registraions using visual aligment?
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Combine two registrations

Post by Scott.Warren »

Heyo,

I watched a webinar from Leica that covered a similar topic, merging registrations from internal and external scanning of a building. I believe the process they used might work in your situation. Assuming you have a separate registration for each floor, the instructions below might help.

Try this:
1. Unify the point cloud for each floor separately.
2. create an empty scanworld (not modelspace) for each floor, naming them appropriately (by floor)
3. copy the unified point cloud into the Control Space of each new scanworld for the separate floors
4. you should now be able to create a new registration, importing these new scanworlds (containing the unified point clouds, separated by floor)
5. if you do a visual alignment between 2 floors/scanworlds, it will show the 2 unified floors in the Blue/Orange.
5. visually align each floor to each other, assuming your using stairwells.
6. Once your happy, freeze the new registration, which should now have each floor aligned to the one above/below it.

I would test 2 adjacent floors before running the whole thing.

All the best,
Scott
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

Even though they are ungrouped they still have the connections.

Go to your notes and create a visual alginment between the overlapping scans on each floor to join them together, optimize constraints, register then create the model space and it will all be together!

I still find the time to put them all in the one group so it looks neat! :lol:
ponsrud
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Paal Onsrud
Company Details: SSA
Company Position Title: Engineer

Post by ponsrud »

Thanks both of you for your replies :)

I tried steves01x method, and as he said, it seems like the connections are still there eventhough they are ungrouped. So I just imported all my registrations in one new registration, used visual aligment in overlapping areas, registered and it was all good!

Thanks again!
brianperth
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Brian Kirkham
Company Details: Legeneering
Company Position Title: Dimensional Surveyor

Post by brianperth »

Hi, can you explain in detail how you did this. When I create a new registration and try to bring in the already aligned registered files it doesn't work.
cpw006
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Chris Widmer
Company Details: LAS
Company Position Title: 3D Scanning Manager

Post by cpw006 »

Our workflow is to have some of the same scans from each registration/floor in both floor registrations. So if floor one has scans 1-100 then the second floor registration will contain scans 98-200.

After you register the 1st floor and the second floor separately you can now create a new registration and choose file import registration and select the 1st and 2nd floor registrations. And because you had common scanworlds in both registrations they will be automatically registered as the links are brought forward.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

ponsrud wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:14 pm Hi, I have scanned a buidling, and I am creating a new registration for each floor using visual aligment.
Now I have created a registration for each floor and I want to combine the registrations with each other using visual aligment in overlapping areas.

I was thinking that the "import registration" tool would to the trick, but when I use that function it only imports the registrations as ungrouped scans, and it will only align one scan at the time. So, my question is: is there a way two combine two registraions using visual aligment?
You don't say which software you are using Cyclone Core or Reg 360. But in Reg 360 you can have a floor in each site map and then drag one floor registered bundle into another site map with a different floor registered bundle and link the two bundles, without any overlapping scans. Just have a scan with overlapping areas -for cloud to cloud registration, between the two floors.
Mokeefe
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Mark OKeefe
Company Details: Clearedge3D
Company Position Title: Clearedge3D
Skype Name: markokeefe4

Post by Mokeefe »

Which software are you using?
T.Pillet
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: pillet thomas
Company Details: wood construction
Company Position Title: operator

Post by T.Pillet »

Scott.Warren wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:30 pm Heyo,

I watched a webinar from Leica that covered a similar topic, merging registrations from internal and external scanning of a building. I believe the process they used might work in your situation. Assuming you have a separate registration for each floor, the instructions below might help.

Try this:
1. Unify the point cloud for each floor separately.
2. create an empty scanworld (not modelspace) for each floor, naming them appropriately (by floor)
3. copy the unified point cloud into the Control Space of each new scanworld for the separate floors
4. you should now be able to create a new registration, importing these new scanworlds (containing the unified point clouds, separated by floor)
5. if you do a visual alignment between 2 floors/scanworlds, it will show the 2 unified floors in the Blue/Orange.
5. visually align each floor to each other, assuming your using stairwells.
6. Once your happy, freeze the new registration, which should now have each floor aligned to the one above/below it.

I would test 2 adjacent floors before running the whole thing.

All the best,
Scott
Hello .

Do you remember what leica's webinar have you seen ?
It's always online ?

Thanks for your answer.

Thomas Pillet

Return to “Leica Geosystems”