Aerial LiDAR from Velodyne 32

Discuss all your Aerial Lidar topics here including, Aeroplane, Helicopter & UAV
sooperdooper
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Russell White
Company Details: HTS Advanced Solutions
Company Position Title: Mapping Operations Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Aerial LiDAR from Velodyne 32

Post by sooperdooper »

We have a Velodyne 32 LiDAR unit that we utilize on a vehicle or one of our Matrice 600 Pros. We flew a demo for a client and I have attached some images of the data.

We have had great success with the Velodyne. I completed a 400+ acre scan in the mountains of Ouray, Colorado last year, as well as multiple other projects across Texas and Louisiana. We can see the trend toward Aerial LiDAR and its definitely picking up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Aerial LiDAR from Velodyne 32

Post by tbwester »

very cool. Whats the purpose? Whats the benefit vs photogrammetry and ground control? I know the differences, just curious what you gained specifically by using the lidar unit for this project.
Attreyu
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Dragos Ioan Coste
Company Details: 3Deva
Company Position Title: Founder

Post by Attreyu »

Nice job ! I have a couple of questions:

a) can you mesh that pointcloud ?

b) can you colorize the pcl/texture the mesh, based on the camera photos ? Is there a camera taking photos which are synced with the scanner ?

c) can you register out and remove the cars and vehicles, leaving only the buildings ?
www.3deva.com - Digitalisation, Pointcloud to Mesh conversions, Virtual Reality
hoho
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: jan antropius
Company Details: 3DMS
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by hoho »

Nice Job!

How do you register the data? Is it possible to add clouds from another Systems? Do you need GPS Signal? ist there some IMU inside?

Cheers Jan
sooperdooper
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Russell White
Company Details: HTS Advanced Solutions
Company Position Title: Mapping Operations Manager

Post by sooperdooper »

tbwester wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:36 am very cool. Whats the purpose? Whats the benefit vs photogrammetry and ground control? I know the differences, just curious what you gained specifically by using the lidar unit for this project.
This was a demo for a potential client. This is their office. LiDAR gives you more accurate data, and has the ability to penetrate vegetation/canopies. LiDAR utilizes PPK GPS and Ground Control for positioning, and Photogrammetry is reliant upon Ground Control only. Photogrammetry can be very accurate in regards to geo-spatial location, but the meshes and point clouds derived from that data will not compare to LiDAR.
Nice job ! I have a couple of questions:

a) can you mesh that pointcloud ?

b) can you colorize the pcl/texture the mesh, based on the camera photos ? Is there a camera taking photos which are synced with the scanner ?

c) can you register out and remove the cars and vehicles, leaving only the buildings ?
A. Yes
B. Our aerial Lidar is currently not setup for imaging.
C. Yes. It is a standard point cloud. This can be imported into any cloud viewer and be manipulated as needed.
Nice Job!

How do you register the data? Is it possible to add clouds from another Systems? Do you need GPS Signal? ist there some IMU inside?

Cheers Jan
We rely in PPK GPS and an IMU to compute the trajectory. That gets exported to another software suite where the cloud is generated. Yes, you need GPS and yes tehre in an IMU.

Return to “Aerial Lidar”