Laser scanning accuracy in Aerospace

Discuss all Aerospace related issues here.
Z+FUK1
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: andrea howey
Company Details: Z+F UK
Company Position Title: Marketing Co-Ordinator

Laser scanning accuracy in Aerospace

Post by Z+FUK1 »

Hi all,

There was an interesting discussion recently re Laser Scanning and Forensics. I wondered if I could start one in regards to the Aerospace industry. Does anyone know about specific tolerances in regards to measurement accuracy in this field? Is the forum community of the opinion that laser scanning can deliver in this field? Or do you feel that CMM's are a better solution? Are there different tolerances for say commercial and military part scanning? Perhaps it depends on the part?
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Laser scanning accuracy in Aerospace

Post by Matt Young »

If you are after a high accuracy for a single point then CMM is the way to go.

Even the best medium to long range laser scanners are only good to +/- 5-6mm per single measurement. Great for measuring large structures etc. but not ideal for sub-millimetre work at all.

Close range scanners may be good for sub-millimetre but can only work on small areas.

There are many factors to consider in any application involving laser measurement, and specific recemendations can only be made with all the information available.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren

Post by Jason Warren »

Hi,
Many of the aerospace projects I have encountered have utilised Breuckmann optoTOP-HE - The HighEnd 3D Digitising System scanners for this area of work, inconjunction with Geomagic.
Further information can be found at:
http://www.breuckmann.com/index.php?id=optotop-he&L=2

Thumbnail Screenshots by Thumbshots
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

I actually started some of those discussions in the forensic thread, but coincidentally, I am an aerospace engineer. :D Seriously!

I am currently investigating some opportunities in the aerospace industry using my contacts, but unfortunately, any equipment that has 4-6 mm accuracy just won't cut it.

So, a laser tracker is a way to go except it doesn't give "shapes" and surfaces like a scanner would (well at least not very easily). So, it would be interesting to find a scanning system capable of .005 mm accuracy but I think the cost would be astronomical and I am not certain the technology even exits?? Anybody know?

The whole aerospace industry needs good measurement contractors to measure the aircraft interior, exterior and tooling.
Faraz
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Faraz Ravi
Company Details: Bentley Systems
Company Position Title: Director Product Mngmnt for Point Clouds

Post by Faraz »

Maybe worth looking at the Surphaser for this kind of work, good accuracy to range ratio and high density.

We have some customers in this industry using the Faro Photon for aircraft interiors, seem to work well for them due to the tolerances not needing to be that high. When an aircraft is at high altitude the form changes so the fitting tolerances worked to are not that high - this is my understanding from a few customers in any case - no doubt the external envelope and anything related to the engine (turbine blades etc) require much higher accuracy.
Faraz Ravi
Bentley Systems
http://www.bentley.com
dirdim
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Michael Raphael
Company Details: Direct Dimensions Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by dirdim »

We're 15 years of 3D scanning and metrology work in the aerospace industry (among other areas) - pretty much every application area. We've used all sorts of equipment including long range scanners, mid-range scanners, and close-range scanners. You could write a book on it all and it changes daily too.

I have to agree with Faraz though, the latest scanner that's most exciting to us is the Surphaser. It has close-range accuracy and resolution with the ease of use of a long range scanner! The latest unit we're testing now has noise at 10m of approx. 100 microns! That unit of measure isn't even used in the conventional long range world.

Feel free to visit our website section on Aerospace at http://www.dirdim.com/apps_militaryaerospace.htm and also see our special page on the Surphaser at http://www.dirdim.com/port_featuredproj ... _surphaser.

I am also very happy to answer questions on the tools we use for aerospace applications or any other application area.
Michael Raphael
Direct Dimensions, Inc.
rapid solutions to 3D problems...
Baltimore, MD USA
410-998-0880
[email protected]
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: H.H
Company Details: HH Ltd
Company Position Title: PA

Post by Newbie »

For someone who's new to laser scanning it's all very confusing. This laser scanning forum has been invaluable so far but I think the industry could benefit from a resource that explains which kind of spec of scanner you need for different industries according to their requirements.

It's hard to understand where the 'cut off' point is in terms of the size of a 'part' from where an arm or laser tracker is appropriate to where a laser scanner becomes the preferred option.

It would also be helpful to know the size of 'parts' in different industries e.g. automotive, aerospace, ship building.
I suppose terrestrial laser scanning is more appropriate for the last two than the first (where i imagine the parts would be bigger)

Thanks
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead

Post by Matt Young »

If you want accurate sub-millimetre measurements then use a laser tracker.

If you want accuracy of 1mm to 2mm use a close range scanner.

If you want accuracy of 2mm to 6mm use a time of flight scanner.

If you want accuracy of 4mm to 10mm use a phase comparison scanner.

If an object is smaller than 2mm then a close range scanner wont be any good.

If an object is huge then consider a long range time fo flight scanner.

If you need to scan a large area in a short space of time then consider a phase comparison scanner.

There is a massive number of variables involved with this type of work, it is just a case of finding the ones that fit best for your project.

The information is all on the web.

http://www.slideshare.net/jk.kingsly/fe ... ngineering
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
Sebas
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Sebastiaan Kuiper
Company Details: Introtech Eng. and Cons. BV
Company Position Title: Sr. System Operator
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Sebas »

Well....

There is a solution available from Steinbichler and API. You use the laser tracker from API for referencing and the Comet 5 from Steinbichler for the actual scanning. Typical accuracy for the Comet 5 system with a 800mm field of view is 0.04mm. The API laser tracker is 0.005mm/1000mm. So depending on size you could well stay bellow 0.1mm.

It is however an expensive solution ;)
Joe Parsons
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Joe Parsons
Company Details: Magna Decoma
Company Position Title: Dimensional Lab Manager

Post by Joe Parsons »

Hi all, interesting stuff i supose it depends on what your scanning. We have in the past used long and close range scan data in combination to provide sub-millimetre accuracy in paticular areas of a large model, keeping the scanning time and the amount of data collected realistic.
Joe

Return to “Aerospace Industry”