V.I.P Member
Full Name: Nick Bush
Company Details: NOVAMECH
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: novamech5
Linkedin Profile: Yes

IMInspect: Probing point when device tip intersect plane

Post by NOVAMECH »

We're trying to determine the roundness of a cylinder by probing at even intervals around the outside surface. The one way that we figured that we could do this is by placing a number of planes through the center axis of the cylinder at different angles and then probing points when the tip our Romer Arm intersects with the planes. We haven't been able to figure out how to do that though.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do what we're trying to do? Or is there a better way to do what we are trying to do?

Thanks
nickherath
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Nick Herath
Company Details: Veris
Company Position Title: Principal
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: IMInspect: Probing point when device tip intersect plane

Post by nickherath »

For a cylinder the GD&T control is called cylindricity. You can report on this by checking on the cylindricity GD&T control. If that answer is within the specified tolerance then no need to investigate further.
If you are after the roundness (circularity) at a specific section of the cylinder you can set up a reference plane then create a cross section attached to it. You can then probe the section by using the zigzag or projection method. You can then fit a circle using those points and report on circularity. Remember if there is no reference surface then you will likely have to offset the results by the probe radius.

Return to “PolyWorks”