Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Backpack Pegasus Resurrection-Promo?

Post by gsisman »

Just got an email from Leica.
Looks like it's rebranding time again "Mobile Sensor Platforms" to Mobile Mapping Systems"

I find it interesting that the BLK2GO is nowhere to be found. Guess that's a separate BLK Financial "Silo" (I will have a post on my recent Demo with Frank once I go over some stuff with him-haven't had a lot of time to analyze that data and tryiing to get some issues with importing into v2022.0 Reg 360.
BackPack Pegasus
Using 6 year old tech. I'm really disappointed in the camera systems. 20 mp for a 180 dome? I guess is not bad, but not what is capable.
I'll have to go back and look at our demo dataset to see how it compares with the newer NavVis "shoulder pack ' system, but visually the imagery is MUCH better with NavVis. My Samsung A52 cellphone has a 64 mp back camera

Definitely the same range (Maybe a bit longer) as as the VLX (uses the same Velodyne pucks I think) One puck for navigating one for actual scan collection (I believe that's what I've been told (300k PPS)

https://www.screencast.com/t/drMZCKMlfcU

Leica Backpack
https://leica-geosystems.com/-/media/fi ... 907C1F9BE3

NavVis VLX
https://www.navvis.com/vlx
https://www.hts-3d.com/techSheets/NavVi ... -Sheet.pdf

Gotta keep pushing these shareholders to work harder to earn their money from us.
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer

Re: Backpack Pegasus Resurrection-Promo?

Post by Scott.Warren »

I was not super impressed with the BLK2Go when Frank's tour came to town, tried to sell it as a survey-grade mobile scanner. It has a place in the market for sure, but seems rinkydinky compared to the VLX. The camera on the BLK2Go is pretty bad when you compare it to many of its competitors, just seems grainy. It can be tricky to read text from these images. I'd agree that most cell phones from the last several years seem to take better pictures. the spaghetti pattern in the lidar data is also something new to get used to also. I found smaller features like sprinkler heads, light switches, and smaller features hard to identify outside the images, when visible in the images. I would imagine a issue resolved with tweaks to field workflow. Closing loops seemed to be a lot of trial and error for new users.

The BLK group is definitely its own thing, making wacky devices with peculiar intended uses.
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer

Post by Scott.Warren »

also, for a company that tangentially makes really super fantastic Cameras, surprised there isn't more collaboration there.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

I've seen some great results from Pegasus backpack on larger outdoor jobs, where the GPS is a far more robust option that an IMU adjusted with closed loops. Not sure how it stacks up against the NavVis in this scenario but certainly better than any of the handheld stuff I've seen. The scan pattern is clean and the intensity returns are sharp, which isn't the case with many other units. Still, very expensive by comparison to everything else out there and starting to look dated.
pegback.jpg
That said, I love what NavVis have done with their point cloud post processing and think it delivers a fantastic result at a very reasonable price. It would be great to see a side by side comparison of final results (and prices) for a range of units across a number of indoor and outdoor locations. Also important to look at start to finish capture and post processing times. Very difficult to make an informed comparison without this, though I suspect NavVis would be the winner indoors, on smaller outdoor sites and in terms of overall value.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

Suspect May 5th or whatever date it is will offer more on this one ..
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

Thought I'd keep this thread going. I'm doing some testing on the new Unstructured imports feature in the new Reg 360 v2022.0.1
I have some old (2016) data from a Leica Pegasus Backpack demo that I am registering together with some other P40, RTC360 and BLK360 data (Accumulated during the last 6 years of us moving into terrestrial lidar scanning.
I was able to get two Backpack scans registered together using the method described in the release notes.
Gives a pretty good analysis of the old Pegasus Backpacks accuracy.
This was the solution after "loosening up" the C2C constraints in settings
I have some other data from the BLK2GO and a BLK360, we'll have to see how that looks

https://www.screencast.com/t/dBYsZ06kj
https://www.screencast.com/t/kIhGSdkgXIVh

Return to “Leica Geosystems”