I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Steven Jonker
Company Details: Eugene Pretorius and Associates
Company Position Title: Geospatial Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Faro Focus 3D S120 disassemble repair

Post by Stevenjonk »

Hi Alexandiir

We have a Faro Focus X130 and the touch screen has stopped working.
To repair the unit needs to go back to Germany and then they will access it, repair it and re calibrate it.
This is very costly. It could end up costing up to 1/3 of a new unit.
When you disassembled your FARO did you also take apart the side with the touch screen?
I am hoping we can buy a new screen and fit it.

Thanks

Steven
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by TommyMaddox »

Unless you have another parts scanner with a working screen I can practically guarantee you're not getting another panel anywhere and you'd need the same version and build era as there are at minimum two completely different screen connector versions.

Go ahead and get your checkbook ready.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

I'd recommend to turn on wifi on all scanners, regarding of the brand so a wifi connection is always possible in case of problems. Document all the ip numbers etc in a document.

The screens are already so tiny, i regurlarly use a tablet ormy phone to control them. The battery drainage with wifi on is minimal.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Oskokos
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Sergey
Company Details: Measuredsurvey365
Company Position Title: Architect

Post by Oskokos »

alexandiir wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:56 amIn progress
Its painful to even see this.
Wish you good luck and hope you manage to fix it at the end.
Measured Building Surveys And 3D Laser Scanning Services
E-mail: [email protected]
momu
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: momu
Company Details: acad
Company Position Title: cheff

Post by momu »

Hallo alexandiir,
2.Inclinometer is dead. I don't think it can be repaired.
I also have a Faro Focus 3D S120 with a dead inclinometer and I would like to repair it. So far I struggle finding it on the various pcbs. Can you give me a hint where it is located on your images? I also disassembled my scanner and it seems to be a bit different from the inside at first glance (see attachments).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

momu wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:43 amI also have a Faro Focus 3D S120 with a dead inclinometer and I would like to repair it. So far I struggle finding it on the various pcbs. Can you give me a hint where it is located on your images? I also disassembled my scanner and it seems to be a bit different from the inside at first glance (see attachments).
Do you have a service manual for this unit, any experience in servicing scanners or survey equipment and the necessary spare parts and tools to do the work? If not, I'd imagine you'll end up just causing more damage. Even then I'd imagine you'd need a full recalibration if you were successful. While it is a pain (and I personally love mucking about with tech myself), servicing this type of kit is rarely something that is going to work based on intuition and amateur electronics skills.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
momu
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: momu
Company Details: acad
Company Position Title: cheff

Post by momu »

smacl wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:03 am Do you have a service manual for this unit, any experience in servicing scanners or survey equipment and the necessary spare parts and tools to do the work? If not, I'd imagine you'll end up just causing more damage. Even then I'd imagine you'd need a full recalibration if you were successful. While it is a pain (and I personally love mucking about with tech myself), servicing this type of kit is rarely something that is going to work based on intuition and amateur electronics skills.
I do not have a service manual for this unit. I've searched this forum a bit and it seems that they are not public, right?
I have no experience in repairing 3D laser scanners as they are quite expensive so I only have one ;-) I am however experienced in repairing electronics like smartphones, laptops, household devices and have tools to (de)solder delicate electronics. I also love repairing things, so I am not discouraged by possible follow-up problems that most likley arise (in my experience).

So what exactly is the point here? I have a scanner which is out of service. long story short: I send the scanner to faro service half a year ago (it was fully working at that time) because they offered me to recalibrate it and I thougt it would be a good idea. Once they got the scanner they told me they would not longer be able to service the scanner neither to recalibrate it. faro service send the scanner back and I noticed on first reboot, that the inclinometer is no longer "working". Unfortunately I did not ensure the delivery so I dont see how I can get some money back. The rest of the scanner is working like before so I can still do 180° scans (instead of 360° scans with working inclinometer) and register them into one point cloud. The accuracy is fine for making measurements of buildings which I subsequently use to make 3D models from.

I dont want to sell the scanner, I want to try to repair it. If I'll brick it, its fine. I still could sell it as spare parts in such a case. So I really would appreciate to know where to find the inclinometer chip before I disassemble it and do a deep search. I can offer to share all insights I get during this repair, maybe someone else might appreciate it as well in the future.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd

Post by smacl »

momu wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:37 pm
smacl wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:03 am Do you have a service manual for this unit, any experience in servicing scanners or survey equipment and the necessary spare parts and tools to do the work? If not, I'd imagine you'll end up just causing more damage. Even then I'd imagine you'd need a full recalibration if you were successful. While it is a pain (and I personally love mucking about with tech myself), servicing this type of kit is rarely something that is going to work based on intuition and amateur electronics skills.
I do not have a service manual for this unit. I've searched this forum a bit and it seems that they are not public, right?
I have no experience in repairing 3D laser scanners as they are quite expensive so I only have one ;-) I am however experienced in repairing electronics like smartphones, laptops, household devices and have tools to (de)solder delicate electronics. I also love repairing things, so I am not discouraged by possible follow-up problems that most likley arise (in my experience).

So what exactly is the point here? I have a scanner which is out of service. long story short: I send the scanner to faro service half a year ago (it was fully working at that time) because they offered me to recalibrate it and I thougt it would be a good idea. Once they got the scanner they told me they would not longer be able to service the scanner neither to recalibrate it. faro service send the scanner back and I noticed on first reboot, that the inclinometer is no longer "working". Unfortunately I did not ensure the delivery so I dont see how I can get some money back. The rest of the scanner is working like before so I can still do 180° scans (instead of 360° scans with working inclinometer) and register them into one point cloud. The accuracy is fine for making measurements of buildings which I subsequently use to make 3D models from.

I dont want to sell the scanner, I want to try to repair it. If I'll brick it, its fine. I still could sell it as spare parts in such a case. So I really would appreciate to know where to find the inclinometer chip before I disassemble it and do a deep search. I can offer to share all insights I get during this repair, maybe someone else might appreciate it as well in the future.
Best of luck with it so. Without the service manual I'd imagine it could be difficult enough to even identify the inclinometer let alone servicing it or finding a replacement. Could be that it is a loose connection, broken wire, dry joint or something similar. On that basis, and given you're not worried about bricking the scanner, you could try disassembling, cleaning, checking and re-seating all the connectors. Not sure the inclinometer would be a chip, more likely a sensor mounted in the chassis connected to another PCB via wires or ribbon. I'd say the chances of getting a good result are slim, but if you've more or less written off the unit already than why not. The other thing to consider is that if you do get it working you'd need to check the accuracy and calibration which is more work.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
blazaj
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jiri Blazek
Company Details: BW precision systems sro

Post by blazaj »

I have a dead S120 and now I wonder where's the inclinometer? After all the discussion if it's got one or not! :lol:
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Scott »

blazaj wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:29 pm I have a dead S120 and now I wonder where's the inclinometer? After all the discussion if it's got one or not! :lol:
I wonder how many are still in service?--they are a bit overkill to use as door stops. Are there any specs. (from FARO) about how many S120 models are still in service?--I'm curious, and a bit nervous when I boot it up for another project. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “FARO”