I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Declan Scully
Company Details: Global Integrity and Specialty Services
Company Position Title: Lead API 653 Inspector
Linkedin Profile: No

3D pdf output

Post by declanscully »

Hello,

My company recently purchased an x7 and the realworks software to complete 3D analysis on storage tanks.

So far everything is working out quite well but one thing that has been asked is can we output the scans in a 3D pdf. I have been sending clients the published scans and this has been ok but a 3D PDF would work better for our report outputs.

Any help would be appriciated.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Re: 3D pdf output

Post by badam »

Do you mean the pointcloud? It is not possible, i recon. Pointclouds usualy use a lot of resources and need special optimalization to view them efficiently. So if there were a way to include it in pdf it would be painfully slow. There are free formats which you can use to share, like e57,laz,las, they can be opened in many free programs, like cloud compare,and usually their own native softwares, like autodesk softwares, pdms,solidworks etc what they use.
gordonired
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gordon
Company Details: Roska DBO
Company Position Title: GIS Coordinator
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by gordonired »

Not much help, but I experimented with doing this a few years ago. I remember I could get meshes and CAD models to work in a 3DPDF, point clouds were a bit more of a resource hog. There was only one software I found that worked, and I think this was it:
https://www.pdf3d.com/geospatial-lidar-survey/

You could look at making a decent mesh out of some of your cloud. A tank exterior or unrolled shell would be fine. If you want everything at once, it's not very nice to explore in a PDF. All you can really do is rotate. The best meshing software I've seen so far has been Prevu3D. Lovely looking meshes.
declanscully
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Declan Scully
Company Details: Global Integrity and Specialty Services
Company Position Title: Lead API 653 Inspector

Post by declanscully »

gordonired wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:37 pm Not much help, but I experimented with doing this a few years ago. I remember I could get meshes and CAD models to work in a 3DPDF, point clouds were a bit more of a resource hog. There was only one software I found that worked, and I think this was it:
https://www.pdf3d.com/geospatial-lidar-survey/

You could look at making a decent mesh out of some of your cloud. A tank exterior or unrolled shell would be fine. If you want everything at once, it's not very nice to explore in a PDF. All you can really do is rotate. The best meshing software I've seen so far has been Prevu3D. Lovely looking meshes.
Thanks, I figured that would be the case. I am still fairly new to all this and trying to figure it out.
dustinsirman
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Dustin J sirman
Company Details: Cam Integrated Solutions
Company Position Title: 3D Survey Lead

Post by dustinsirman »

what I like to do with my scans is create a NWD from the RCP file you create.

for your client here is the free software in case they dont have it.
https://www.autodesk.com/products/navisworks/3d-viewers

Return to “Trimble”