3D Indoor Scanning Data Strategy

Please post discussions that do not fit into any other category.
andreaskrueck
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Andreas Krueck
Company Details: Arcondis GmbH - Life Science Consulting
Company Position Title: Senior Consultant
Linkedin Profile: Yes

3D Indoor Scanning Data Strategy

Post by andreaskrueck »

Hi all,

I'm currently assessing multiple 3D indoor scanning options for a global client in the life science sector. The preferred solution would be an end-to-end vendor (scan to display 3D model), so there are some big players like Matterport, NavVis and FARO.

What I'm looking for now is any information on data strategy. Especially on those topics:
  • Data cleaning: Do you need to keep the raw point cloud scan data if you already uploaded it into the vendors environments, resulting in a 3D model, that could be easily exported as point cloud again? And what are the reasons to keep them? Just as a backup doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
  • Data storage/archiving: If the raw data is kept, I identified 3 options: Compressed files like LAZ, in a relational db system database like PostgreSQL or a NoSQL database, like MongoDB. Since the amount of data is quite large (multiple large sites globally), the last one makes more sense to me. Similar findings in this article: http://www.jait.us/uploadfile/2021/1029 ... 755987.pdf. Any experience you can share?
I'm happy about anything useful or any experience. Thank you in advance for your help
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: 3D Indoor Scanning Data Strategy

Post by VXGrid »

andreaskrueck wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 pm Hi all,

I'm currently assessing multiple 3D indoor scanning options for a global client in the life science sector. The preferred solution would be an end-to-end vendor (scan to display 3D model), so there are some big players like Matterport, NavVis and FARO.

What I'm looking for now is any information on data strategy. Especially on those topics:
  • Data cleaning: Do you need to keep the raw point cloud scan data if you already uploaded it into the vendors environments, resulting in a 3D model, that could be easily exported as point cloud again? And what are the reasons to keep them? Just as a backup doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
  • Data storage/archiving: If the raw data is kept, I identified 3 options: Compressed files like LAZ, in a relational db system database like PostgreSQL or a NoSQL database, like MongoDB. Since the amount of data is quite large (multiple large sites globally), the last one makes more sense to me. Similar findings in this article: http://www.jait.us/uploadfile/2021/1029 ... 755987.pdf. Any experience you can share?
I'm happy about anything useful or any experience. Thank you in advance for your help
Hi Andreas,

to answer your questions we need to look at how the data is getting processed and uploaded, and if 3D model means what you think it means.
Let's start with 3D model: A 3D model could be either a meshed point cloud (so you get an object file), or a complete BIM model (so every aspect of the model has attributes, like which type of window was scanned etc.)
None of the named vendors provides a BIM model, only a mesh or the visualized point cloud.

Named vendors:
FARO:
FARO would be presumably static scanning, where the registration is done in FARO Scene (FLS files are combined in a LSPROJ file) and then uploaded to FARO webshare (I guess). If I understand their concept correctly you have then the project visualized as a point cloud online, can move around there and measure.

NavVis:
You scan with SLAM (walking around rather than static scans), the data processing is done in NavVis Ivion (don't know if this is the processing software and or the visualization software) - in a cloud, you can download the result as a LAZ or E57. The "model" is meshed online, you can work around and measure distances and set tags. Very similar to google street view but with your data and possibly in buildings.

Matterport:
A static "scanner" (more like a camera with a depth sensor), the data processing is done online as well (as far as I know), but in this case (again I am not up to date on this one) your data now belongs to Matterport. Downloadable content is a XYZ file, online viewing is as well a mesh, I don't know if you are able to measure in there.

To answer your questions:
Data cleaning: I would always backup the raw data, because you can do so much more with it than with the processed and converted data.

Data storage:
I would use neither method. I would take the raw data, zip it according to projects and then store it whereever convenient (cloud, local server, USB drives). If the locations are relevant to every project zip, an index document, like location, dates scanned etc should be sufficient.

The LAZ way means your data was already completely processed where you will loose some information (more or less depending on choosen vendor. Example given: With the FARO data you will loose the structured scan positions, inclinometerdata, ..., with NavVis you will loose all panorama images taken.)

The database ways is just inserting it to a table, if you ever need them getting them out there might be a pain (don't know).

Other question for you:
Do you already have somebody who is going to do the scanning for you?
Because as far as I know the named vendors are only selling the hardware and providing the service to view your data online, but no actual leg work.
andreaskrueck
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by andreaskrueck »

Thanks for your reply!

I was just differentiating between the raw data (scanner hardware output) and the processed data (aggregated and processed scanner data or 3D model/visualized point clouds created from multiple scans, that can be viewed inside the vendors software tools). Obviously the last ones are saved and provided by the vendors anyway as part of their tools. And you can also export the processed data to BIM or CAD models from those tools.

All three vendors provide mobile SLAM scanners, that's why I identified them as the preferred ones. It's also not required to buy a scanner, since the target is scanning multiple global sites. I'd be preferred to get in contact with local scan partners, but then upload all scan data into just one central platform.
Yes, for FARO it's upload of scan data into FARO SCENE, then share data via FARO Webshare. For Matterport you have the Workshop and the Showcase tools. For NavVis there is only IVION. FARO and NavVis allow to import data in multiple point cloud formats from other sources as well, which makes them the preferred solutions.

On the data storage: This is more an issue of data size. If you scan 20+ global locations (+additional scans over time to keep them up to date), the amount of data will grow quite fast. And if it's not really needed, it makes no sense to store it. I get that there could be an information loss, if you import from scanner output to vendor tool. But is it worth storing everything?
Agreed on relational databases. It's not really an option, since reading would be a pain.
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by VXGrid »

andreaskrueck wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:00 pm Thanks for your reply!

I was just differentiating between the raw data (scanner hardware output) and the processed data (aggregated and processed scanner data or 3D model/visualized point clouds created from multiple scans, that can be viewed inside the vendors software tools). Obviously the last ones are saved and provided by the vendors anyway as part of their tools. And you can also export the processed data to BIM or CAD models from those tools.

[...]

On the data storage: This is more an issue of data size. If you scan 20+ global locations (+additional scans over time to keep them up to date), the amount of data will grow quite fast. And if it's not really needed, it makes no sense to store it. I get that there could be an information loss, if you import from scanner output to vendor tool. But is it worth storing everything?
Agreed on relational databases. It's not really an option, since reading would be a pain.
As I said, if this were my things to decide, I would save the raw data locally somewhere (and in the contract with the external partner add that I'd like to have this data), because this would feel so much more secure, then trusting a third party to store my data without losses.
It's just a backup of your data, and if a site got rescanned and you are sure you will never need that old data you can delete it.
I mean what is the cost of a 20 TByte hard drive in comparison to get a site rescanned because something was amiss at the data host? Are they legally bound to replace the data if something happens?

Just curious: Do you mean the FARO Swift, or TIMMS from Trimble?
What is the mobile mapping solution from Matterport called?
andreaskrueck
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by andreaskrueck »

I totally agree on backing up the raw data and will recommend it to our client as good practice. It also depends on what and how data is saved by the three vendors anyway.

FARO Swift seems to be the only FARO-provided option that is mobile. According to the technical specifications it's using SLAM technology.
You're right, there is no mobile scanner solution by Matterport directly, but the Matterport Capture app.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

Check out Pointerra - https://www.pointerra.com
Aussie. Disclosure - have shares ;-p

Return to “Any Other Issues”