Faro vs Creaform

Please post all your polls you want others opinion on.
eccs19
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mark Evers
Company Details: FP Manufacturing
Company Position Title: Technical Support Staff Die Maintenance

Faro vs Creaform

Post by eccs19 »

New to this group. We currently are using a Faro Edge arm, and are looking at upgrading. We are considering the Faro Quantum Max and the Creaform Handyscan Black Elite. I've no experience with Creaform, but a number of years with Faro Edge and Platinum. I have a love / hate relationship with the Faro equipment. Don't know if it's just our Edge has always been a dud, or if they're just unreliable line. Plus I've not been super pleased with the service whenever the Edge has gone to Florida for repair. I like the probing option of the Faro, but of course Creaform sales team says their process is accurate enough to yield good results. WHEN the Faro is working well, I'm always happy with my scan results. The typical stuff I scan are smaller steel die blocks. Not much we can is super large, so the Faro arm has always been a good option, and have not very often been limited by the arm length. So looking for opinions from people who have experience with either / or both, so we can make a smart decision with our next purchase.

Thanks in advance.
RollingCamel
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Akram Mousa
Company Details: ReCreate3D
Company Position Title: Founder

Re: Faro vs Creaform

Post by RollingCamel »

Really depends on the part size and whether you need to move around with the scanner.

When the Handyscan was launched, the convenience of carrying a hand case instead of the huge roller case made us stop using our Romer Arm scanner.

The Arm scanners is handy when you bring the parts to it and use a rotating table to scan in a single scan.

Probing is a clear advantage for arm scanners if you have hidden or very deep features.
eccs19
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mark Evers
Company Details: FP Manufacturing
Company Position Title: Technical Support Staff Die Maintenance

Post by eccs19 »

RollingCamel wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:15 am Really depends on the part size and whether you need to move around with the scanner.

When the Handyscan was launched, the convenience of carrying a hand case instead of the huge roller case made us stop using our Romer Arm scanner.

The Arm scanners is handy when you bring the parts to it and use a rotating table to scan in a single scan.

Probing is a clear advantage for arm scanners if you have hidden or very deep features.
Thanks for the input. Probing is definately the advantage in my eyes as well. I mostly worry about build quality of the Faro just because of our past history with our current one. It's not often I run into a scan that the overall area is too big for our Faro, and the odd time I do, I'll leap frog my scans. Most of my work is smaller die blocks, but occationally I do have to actually scan an entire die.
RollingCamel
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Akram Mousa
Company Details: ReCreate3D
Company Position Title: Founder

Post by RollingCamel »

Depending on your budget you can have the following probing for handheld systems:

1. Scantech KScan Magic with it's probe accessory.
2. Creaform Metrascan with Handyprobe.
3. Scantech Trackscan with probe accessory.

You will best of both world but check their accuracy vs Faro. My back and legs just hate Arm scanners.
max3d
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Maxime Cote
Company Details: intrapub
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by max3d »

The HandySCAN 3D is well adapted for small die blocks and has a great accuracy certified ISO 17025. It also has a larger field of view which makes the surface acquisition very quick. The best advice I can give you is to get in touch with Creaform to see with your eyes the performance on your part. On top of, the HandySCAN 3D is also very reliable since there is no moving part (only 2 cameras and lasers attached together run by powerful software)
You will not be disappointed.

Return to “Opinion Polls”