I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Akram Mousa
Company Details: ReCreate3D
Company Position Title: Founder

How is Surphaser 25HSX in 2022?

Post by RollingCamel »

Hello All,

I am considering purchasing a demo/used 25HSX I-RX and was wondering how does the technology hold up to today's standards?

I also come from product design/mechanical background with most of my experience is related to handheld and laser arm scanners. Is Cloud Compare enough for registering multiple scans? Do I need to invest into a dedicated registration software or DesignX (not intending to buy DesignX at all).

My focus is on industrial application for which my K-Scan Magic is doing a good job. However, a couple of marine customers upping the scale game, and scanning 18mx2m hull side was a bit of a stretch already for the Magic. I have no intentions at time being architectural applications.

ViewCapture20211214_2304132.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mls
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Paul Casson
Company Details: multipass 3d laser scans ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: How is Surphaser 25HSX in 2022?

Post by mls »

Hi Rolling Camel.
I have used the 25HSX SR for a number of Large Volume Metrology type projects where we have combined the scans with CMM/Laser Line probe data. The SR is tweeked to have useful range of up to 7 m depending on the nature of the surfaces. In general Surphaser data is very clean. If you are purchasing a used unit I would expect you will get it serviced at Basis, and you should also get hold of the Surphaser (SurfExpress) processing software, which has its own registration capabilities. If you just want the the data into your own workflow then SurphExpress allows you to filter and export the native c3d files as various standard formats - PTX, e57, etc.
In terms of "the technology" I wonder if you mean usability or data quality. The older machines have no built in control or storage so you need to drive it from a PC, which I guess you know already. This means that things can get messy and slow on site, cables everywhere... ( ah the good old days), but bear in mind that the Surphaser SR (maybe the IR too) bridges the gap between metrology grade hardware (Laser Line Probes/CMM, Creaform handheld units etc.), and large volume Scanners such as the Leica, Faro, Riegl spherical scanners, which tend to have longer range (nice) and much higher levels of noise and uncertainty (nasty). Its great to get clean dense sub millimetre scan data with a 5 metre offset distance. You have to choose the appropriate tools for the job, and the SR and IR Surphaser might be just the thing for your application - smaller boat hulls, vehicles etc, where CMM or handheld scanners may require lots of set ups. I know they are used in the aerospace sector by the likes of and Boeing, Airbuss.

Regarding the modelling workflow, I often use Rhino (up to R5 32 bit) together with the old Pointools for Rhino plugin for modelling individual items. Vesus Arena 4d is probably a better alternative these days, as it is still available and is supported in the latest versions of Rhino.

Hope this helps.

Good luck
Paul
RollingCamel
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Akram Mousa
Company Details: ReCreate3D
Company Position Title: Founder

Re: How is Surphaser 25HSX in 2022?

Post by RollingCamel »

Hi Paul,

Really appreciate the depth of your insight. It is encouraging.

How big of a mess are the cable? Is it just a USB connection between the scanner and PC plus the power supply? If so, then it is the same experience with handhelds, part of my usual process. Won't mess what I did not experience first hand.

With technology I mean scan output in comparison to recent more entry level scanners from Surphaser. Does it still hold it self well when considering the price? And do you have an idea what is the average price for used IR?

Return to “Surphaser”