I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mustapha Elouaer
Company Details: Cabinet Jacquot-solere
Company Position Title: Lidar engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

subsampling Large pointcloud data

Post by Stoufa »

Hello,
I don't know if this issue has been brought before, so I have a large pointcloud data, exported from cyclone, and I want to subsample it using CloudCompare,
the main goal is to have a "light" file of pointcloud, so my client( architect) can mainpulate it using his modeling software,
I have two questions,
is there any way to export a lighter .e57 from Cyclone ? (I have already unified my modelspace)
is there any way to make cloudcompare digest all the pointcloud ?
for info,
poincloud number is : 10 881 100 029
I have 64 RAM and lot of space on my hard disk ...
Thank you, :D
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: subsampling Large pointcloud data

Post by badam »

Stoufa wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:54 am Hello,
I don't know if this issue has been brought before, so I have a large pointcloud data, exported from cyclone, and I want to subsample it using CloudCompare,
the main goal is to have a "light" file of pointcloud, so my client( architect) can mainpulate it using his modeling software,
I have two questions,
is there any way to export a lighter .e57 from Cyclone ? (I have already unified my modelspace)
is there any way to make cloudcompare digest all the pointcloud ?
for info,
poincloud number is : 10 881 100 029
I have 64 RAM and lot of space on my hard disk ...
Thank you, :D
The easiest would be (not the fastest), just subsample it more inside cyclone (10-15mm or so if this is done inside cyclone tand the file is too big after this it should be able to open in CC)... But I always export separated e57 files. so i can process them later without any license in cloud compare or pdal...
With 64GB and CC you are very limited in space. If you disable the visualisation (close the 3d window) it consumes less memory and faster to manipulate files. ID recommend to get as much ram as you can for CC.

Archicad can load only about ~150'000'000 points revit is better and faster though. It depends on what your consumer is using...
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Post by max72 »

You can reduce memory usage with command line.
If the E57 contains an unstrucutured pointcloud it will be subsampled this way, otherwise you will get a number of separated subsampled files corresponding to the number of single scans in the E57.

Create a .bat o .cmd file with the following line:

Code: Select all

for %%f in (%*) DO "C:\<your path to>\cloudcompare.exe" -SILENT -O %%f -C_EXPORT_FMT E57 -SS SPATIAL 0.01
Drag and drop the files to be subsampled over the file. It will start the command line execution.

In this case the output will be E57, subsampled to 1cm.

Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

max72 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:25 am You can reduce memory usage with command line.
If the E57 contains an unstrucutured pointcloud it will be subsampled this way, otherwise you will get a number of separated subsampled files corresponding to the number of single scans in the E57.

Create a .bat o .cmd file with the following line:

Code: Select all

for %%f in (%*) DO "C:\<your path to>\cloudcompare.exe" -SILENT -O %%f -C_EXPORT_FMT E57 -SS SPATIAL 0.01
Drag and drop the files to be subsampled over the file. It will start the command line execution.

In this case the output will be E57, subsampled to 1cm.

Massimo
with 64GB of ram and a point cloud with 10 billion points in it wont change much... you will need special tricks to subsample a cloud that big... the first one is to export separated setups. if it is not subsampled at all currently it should be around 200 GB e57 which is nonsense. you will need at least 256GB ram at least or more.
Stoufa
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mustapha Elouaer
Company Details: Cabinet Jacquot-solere
Company Position Title: Lidar engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Stoufa »

I have divided my pointcloud into 5 using cyclone, unified each part and subsampled it using Cloudcompare and it worked,
thank you for your help,

Return to “CloudCompare”