I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Paul Bowers
Company Details: Society of Piping Engineers and Designer
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Prevu3D - Why we took the leap

Post by pipingdesigner »

it is interesting to see this approach but usually the details are lost during meshing
AND
I always thought combining the accuracy of points clouds with an imagery overlay was the ultimate output.
I really like the navigation speed for being able to familiarize quickly with a site's layout but a hybrid would be needed in order to be able to precisely locate piping tie-point locations. I.e., specify certain coordinates that would be full-blown point cloud 24" diameter spheres within the mesh itself.

I'd need to be able to XREF the mesh into Plant 3D c/w the point cloud sphere "zones". Not sure if that's even possible.

Paul
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

badam wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:45 pm it is interesting to see this approach but usually the details are lost during meshing. but i'll try it out it would be good to see an on premise solution, because uploads are slow. it would be faster to process localy, and only upload just the result.
Adam,
I gave this a try about two months ago when I first saw it on this forum. I must say that for a first run I am super impressed. I actually loaded a full scan that was two plazas and an underground pedestrian tunnel. It was the exact same job that I had run through Reg 360 and uploaded to Cyclone Enterprise. I basically uploaded a LARGE e57 INCLUDING THE PHOTOSPHERES from our BLK full res scans of the site.
This is basically SAS and the results are returned for download and viewing on your own local machine as I understand it. (Similar to the Truview Portable Viewer from Leica. The file package is similar with everything stored in on file folder package (including the viewer Executable.
It definitely has more current markup potential right now than the Truview and Truview live (one simple difference is being able to outline complex polygonal areas across a meshed surface to get square footage. Truview only allows rectangles the last I looked in October)
If they could combine the Euclideon Technology that Leica is Licensing with their meshing capabilities and markup capabilities to make it workable from a personal Cloud Services viewer they would really have a superb product that would compete wit the likes of NavVis indoor viewer and Cyclone Enterprise.
Just a side note: I just got back from S. Korea and was surprised to see when dealing with my flight that Matterport had gotten their 3D product viewer for indoor spaces (using photos only and scan augmented photos) integrated into some of Delta Airlines seating viewers on their websites for reserving plane tickets. I don't know much about there current product, but 3-4 years ago the price justification for their SAS viewer was definitely targeted pricewise to the Architectural Industry and not the Civil or Mechanical -Plus pictures only.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

gsisman wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:20 pm
badam wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:45 pm it is interesting to see this approach but usually the details are lost during meshing. but i'll try it out it would be good to see an on premise solution, because uploads are slow. it would be faster to process localy, and only upload just the result.
Adam,
I gave this a try about two months ago when I first saw it on this forum. I must say that for a first run I am super impressed. I actually loaded a full scan that was two plazas and an underground pedestrian tunnel. It was the exact same job that I had run through Reg 360 and uploaded to Cyclone Enterprise. I basically uploaded a LARGE e57 INCLUDING THE PHOTOSPHERES from our BLK full res scans of the site.
This is basically SAS and the results are returned for download and viewing on your own local machine as I understand it. (Similar to the Truview Portable Viewer from Leica. The file package is similar with everything stored in on file folder package (including the viewer Executable.
It definitely has more current markup potential right now than the Truview and Truview live (one simple difference is being able to outline complex polygonal areas across a meshed surface to get square footage. Truview only allows rectangles the last I looked in October)
If they could combine the Euclideon Technology that Leica is Licensing with their meshing capabilities and markup capabilities to make it workable from a personal Cloud Services viewer they would really have a superb product that would compete wit the likes of NavVis indoor viewer and Cyclone Enterprise.
Just a side note: I just got back from S. Korea and was surprised to see when dealing with my flight that Matterport had gotten their 3D product viewer for indoor spaces (using photos only and scan augmented photos) integrated into some of Delta Airlines seating viewers on their websites for reserving plane tickets. I don't know much about there current product, but 3-4 years ago the price justification for their SAS viewer was definitely targeted pricewise to the Architectural Industry and not the Civil or Mechanical -Plus pictures only.
how big was that e57?
how many setup did it contain, if i can ask?

I've also seen that there is no stl/obj/ply or other standard mesh just the propriatery, maybe there is a possibility in the app to export those, I've not checked.
kevin.grover
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Kevin Grover
Company Details: McElhanney
Company Position Title: Advanced Research and Technology Leader

Post by kevin.grover »

Hey Adam. So in the Prevu3D app you can most definitely export part of or the entire mesh to obj, fbx, stl, ply, and also to glb. It is the highest detail level that is exported from the app (and not our multiple level of detail format in the app).
Kevin Grover
Prevu3D - Head of Product
https://www.prevu3d.com/
kevin.grover
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Kevin Grover
Company Details: McElhanney
Company Position Title: Advanced Research and Technology Leader

Post by kevin.grover »

pipingdesigner wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:45 pm
it is interesting to see this approach but usually the details are lost during meshing
AND
I always thought combining the accuracy of points clouds with an imagery overlay was the ultimate output.
I really like the navigation speed for being able to familiarize quickly with a site's layout but a hybrid would be needed in order to be able to precisely locate piping tie-point locations. I.e., specify certain coordinates that would be full-blown point cloud 24" diameter spheres within the mesh itself.

I'd need to be able to XREF the mesh into Plant 3D c/w the point cloud sphere "zones". Not sure if that's even possible.

Paul
Hey Paul. So mesh support in Autodesk products is a bit left to be desired as it is horribly inefficient (without going to 3DSMax, etc.). But AutoCAD products can't deal with large meshes at this point even by Xref. I see the latest Revit release now supports textured OBJ files directly which is exciting, but honestly not sure the performance details on that yet.

We are definitely looking at ways to "bridge the gap" to design software overall, so lots of exciting things ahead!
Kevin Grover
Prevu3D - Head of Product
https://www.prevu3d.com/
AnthonyM
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Anthony Milou
Company Details: Milou and Associates
Company Position Title: Director

Post by AnthonyM »

Hi,
I have known about Prevu3D for a while but only recently had a chance to use it and I have to say I'm blown away by the quality of this, if you haven't done so already give it a try, don't think you will be disappointed. Some points to note:

- Input was an e57 file exported straight out of Cyclone Register RTC360 (scanning was originally captured with a Leica RTC360)
- Surprisingly fast to upload a model given my internet connection (i.e. 7.44GB e57 file uploaded in 1 hour using my connection of approximately 2MB/s)
- Processing time it mentioned "a few hours" but I left it run overnight so not sure exactly the timeframe it spent processing.
- End results were very good (better than I could achieve actually with RealityCapture - though I'm no expert with that software)
- Ability to download the end result mesh model.
- Overall impression is that the mesh modelling is some of the best I've seen, the work involved from start to finish in using it is very minimal. I'm now open to using this SaaS type service if only for the quality of the end result and the ease/low workload to get this done.
3D Meshing Comparison - RealityCapture Left - Prevu3D Right.png

I may try another project and upload the results here if I have some time, but give it a try and see what comes out. Congratulations to the Prevu3D team for outstanding work here, hopefully the pricing is reasonable :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

badam wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:38 pm
gsisman wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:20 pm

how big was that e57?
how many setup did it contain, if i can ask?

I've also seen that there is no stl/obj/ply or other standard mesh just the propriatery, maybe there is a possibility in the app to export those, I've not checked.
Adam

The site was shot with a BLK360 not an RTC on HIGH RES with normal photos
We had 11 underground Stations and 25 above ground. The size of the LGS file was 5.4GB, the size of the uploaded E57 file @ 3mm decimation was 20.7GB zipped to 13.5GB and using Prevu's large file uploader app, the size of the downloaded Prevu mesh files (including the 200MB app viewer) was 5.25GB
I will PM you links to each set of files if you want to look close up for your self and compare.
Here are the stats on the Cyclone Enterprise project
https://www.screencast.com/t/RtboQ9FoeD

Steve

Return to “PREVU3D”