Alternatives to Cyclone Model

aurivus|REVIT, 3D Studio MAX, 3D Coat, Lightwave, ZBrush, VRMesh, TopoGun, Blender, Rhino, Trimble Sketchup Etc.
mcaanda
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Allen
Company Details: USDOI BOR
Company Position Title: Civil Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Alternatives to Cyclone Model

Post by mcaanda »

Years ago we used Cyclone for our projects - Scan, register and then in model point and click the edges of the items in the scans, create polylines and then export to AutoCAD/Civil 3D.

No longer using Leica gear, we have a Riegl VZi but no offering for modeling programs so back to buying Cyclone or... ?

Looking for suggestions for something that would allow for point and polyline creation and then import into C3D for DEM creation.

Thanks ~
azimut400gon
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Sebastian Aust
Company Details: Civil Engineering
Company Position Title: Project Leader
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Alternatives to Cyclone Model

Post by azimut400gon »

If you are using an Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D workflow, then you can use Autodesk ReCap to handle the point clouds for AutoCAD. The possibilities of point cloud features in a current AutoCAD version are limited, but for pick and click, everything will be fine.

Autodesk introduces some cloud features, just take a look.

A bit more potential can be used with additional tools for AutoCAD (FARO AsBuilt, Undet, or Cloudworx/JetStream, etc.) - depends on your budget and wishes.

For digital terrain models there are additional solutions. E.g. CloudCompare, Cyclone 3DR, PointCab, Gexcel, and much more. Just take a look in the forum software rubrics.

At the end it depends on your wishes, needs and the time to cost.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

mcaanda wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:38 pm Years ago we used Cyclone for our projects - Scan, register and then in model point and click the edges of the items in the scans, create polylines and then export to AutoCAD/Civil 3D.

No longer using Leica gear, we have a Riegl VZi but no offering for modeling programs so back to buying Cyclone or... ?

Looking for suggestions for something that would allow for point and polyline creation and then import into C3D for DEM creation.

Thanks ~
if you are planning to go to 3d modeling, but want to keep semi automatization bricscad can be a good choice has a good pointcloud engine... Based on the market videos the one of the best so far from architectural cad softwares.
mcaanda
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Allen
Company Details: USDOI BOR
Company Position Title: Civil Engineer

Post by mcaanda »

badam wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:21 pm if you are planning to go to 3d modeling, but want to keep semi automatization bricscad can be a good choice has a good pointcloud engine... Based on the market videos the one of the best so far from architectural cad softwares.
Will have to look into that thanks.

azimut400gon wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:17 pm If you are using an Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D workflow, then you can use Autodesk ReCap to handle the point clouds for AutoCAD. The possibilities of point cloud features in a current AutoCAD version are limited, but for pick and click, everything will be fine.

Autodesk introduces some cloud features, just take a look.

A bit more potential can be used with additional tools for AutoCAD (FARO AsBuilt, Undet, or Cloudworx/JetStream, etc.) - depends on your budget and wishes.

For digital terrain models there are additional solutions. E.g. CloudCompare, Cyclone 3DR, PointCab, Gexcel, and much more. Just take a look in the forum software rubrics.

At the end it depends on your wishes, needs and the time to cost.
Cost is not a factor, we're willing and able to pay for Cyclone Model but wanted to see what else was out there.

As for using C3D and ReCap - modeling within C3D is abysmal. The program hangs, way too many translations into this that or the other, and the hassle of it just becomes too much to deal with. I dont feel that its really ready for "prime time" as its just entirely too clunky and frustrating to try to use for anything other then very basic tasks.

Will check into the others suggested. Thanks.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

mcaanda wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:38 pm Looking for suggestions for something that would allow for point and polyline creation and then import into C3D for DEM creation.
Similar to our workflow. Points are created and coded in Cyclone, but these points become "working points" which we use to snap to in Civil.

I find the Cyclone point cloud engine is very tough to beat for 3D orbitting, zooming etc.

Back in C3D, we have a heap of palettes and lisp routines to assist with the stringing, 3-point 3d arcs, 3-point 3d rectangles with centroid codes, all sorts of things. We do the stringing in Civil 3D as you aren't dealing with layers in Cyclone. The palette buttons control the layering - so a Road Palette for example has buttons for Back-of-Kerb ARC - pick three points and you get an arc in the right layer in 3d.

You might find BASIC is enough versus MODEL. (No points-on-grid, no shape matching etc)
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: The Yard Brisbane
Company Position Title: Manager - 3D Design and Scanning

Post by Mike Annear »

I have used Rhino 3D for all of my pointcloud modelling for the past 20 years. I have had access to Cyclone "model", Autodesk and Bentley products, but keep going back to Rhino.
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Guizzetti
Company Details: Construction and Engineering
Company Position Title: RealityCapture

Post by ericguizzetti »

Leica Cloudworks Ultimate!!! It works with AUTODESK Recap files and opens natively in autocad or Revit

mcaanda wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:38 pm Years ago we used Cyclone for our projects - Scan, register and then in model point and click the edges of the items in the scans, create polylines and then export to AutoCAD/Civil 3D.

Thanks ~
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Post by max72 »

I use rhino and Arena plug-in.
It’s very fast and easy to use, and can handle clouds of any size.
When you slice the cloud you can move the sketch plane (cplane in rhino) with the slice.
Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: The Yard Brisbane
Company Position Title: Manager - 3D Design and Scanning

Post by Mike Annear »

max72 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:31 pm I use rhino and Arena plug-in.
It’s very fast and easy to use, and can handle clouds of any size.
When you slice the cloud you can move the sketch plane (cplane in rhino) with the slice.
Massimo
Sorry, I forgot to mention the Veesus Arena plugin :)
Rhino can handle up to about 500,000,000 points without Veesus, but virtually unlimited points with the plugin.
I use a Mobile Construction Plane sandwiched in-between two clipping planes as a group, this allows for very quick, accurate tracing from pointclouds.
McNeel (Rhino3D) are also working on several enhancements to the clipping planes for version 8 which will be great.

Total Cost -
Rhino 3D $995 USD (permanent License)
Veesus Arena Standard Edition for Rhino - £499.00 per year.

That is a pretty cheap 3D modelling from pointclouds solution.
Mike.
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
steve.smith@CE3D
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: ClearEdge3D
Company Position Title: Inside Sales

Post by steve.smith@CE3D »

ClearEdge3D Edgewise is a great tool for automating and saving time when modeling anything from Walls and levels to Piping, structure, Ducting and other MEP Elements.

https://www.clearedge3d.com/edgewise/

Return to “Modeling Software”