New PC for Register360

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
Groothedde-ing
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Pascal Groothedde
Company Details: Architectural engineering company
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

New PC for Register360

Post by Groothedde-ing »

We work with point clouds from the RTC360 in Register360. We currently have 2 PCs with more or less the following characteristics:
- Asus PRIME X299 Motherboard.
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7940X CPU @ 3.10GHz 14 cores.
- 128GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM.
- NVIDIA Quadro P4000.
- Samsung 970 PRO 1TB M.2 for the operating system.
- Samsung 860EVO 4TB 2 pieces for storage of the projects.

Now we are about to purchase a new PC for a new employee and we can therefore still determine / adjust the specifications of the PC. What would your advice be for working with programs such as Register360, Recap, BricsCAD and Revit?

And what is your opinion on a P4000 vs a GTX 1660 Ti?
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: New PC for Register360

Post by badam »

If we are only talking about register 360 then

quadro is totally useless. Even an AMD APU is capable of handling any project size. Only requirement is a decent amount of ram 64 GB or more. GPU a 1050, 1050TI, or i would prefer an amd (rx570, or similar) because then the program can be started over remote desktop (opengl check during reg360 startup)...

Storage is essential especially size. but any SSD will do, we open projects through network storage because of safety and better project management and it is totally usable even on projects with 2000 setups (rtc small res with hdr images). Of course there are processes which is slightly slower but the convenience and safety is worth more then few minute waiting.

import (with hdr images) will take forever (i mean 3-5min/setup) no matter what hardware you have.

Ifi would buy a new hardware for reg360 in this situation GPU prices still very high, then a ryzen 5600g is totally fine, with 128GB ram, network storage, to easily open projects on other machines (for export, cleaning, or just to view a specific project later if this exact machine is reserved at that time).
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

For Laptops We Run:

Intel i9. Currently on 10th Gen. Waiting for our new 11th Gen systems to arrive. (hear amazing improvements on the 11th Gen Tiger Lake chips)
128GB of Ram
RTX5000 Video Cards
2 by M.2 SSD drives at 2TB each.
1 by 4TB SATA Dirve

We always in practice buy the Lenovo Think Stations and ThinkPads. Lenovo on the Workstation side, really does build good systems, compared to consumer grade gaming systems etc. We never have an issue with ThinkPads and ThinkStations. Consumer grade systems we have a tough time getting a year out of them, before they just stop performing from getting so hot all the time.

Systems configured as such, will reasonably accomplish up to about 2000 Scan Stations assembled into a single bundle. It does get a little long in the tooth waiting for optimizations once you get all the links created and are trying to run final C2C adjustments on 10,000 or more links.

After that we get into Mega Tower with Dual Xeon processors.

For Import and Export the M.2 Drives can add up to a 40% speed increase compared to SATA depending on how you configure everything, and where you keep your files etc. For us, when working on Register360 or Cyclone, everything is done 100% local on Machine, even the CLM for Leica is local to the Machine. We only Back-up to server.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

RJGEOMATICS wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:26 amIntel i9. Currently on 10th Gen. Waiting for our new 11th Gen systems to arrive. (hear amazing improvements on the 11th Gen Tiger Lake chips)
Not sure I'd be waiting for 11th gen on the i9, see the following article; https://thepcenthusiast.com/intel-11th- ... h-gen-cpu/ Dropping from a 10/20 core/thread count in the 10th gen to an 8/16 on the 11th gen is a huge negative for me. The 11th gen is faster on properly optimised single threaded workloads but slower on multi-threaded. In addition to more cores, the 10th gen also has a faster all core turbo speed here. For me, tenth gen i9 is a pretty sweet price / performance option with lots of availability and I reckon Intel have messed up badly on the 11th gen i9.

+1 on the Lenovo kit, solid kit at good prices in my experience.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by badam »

RJGEOMATICS wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:26 am For Laptops We Run:

Intel i9. Currently on 10th Gen. Waiting for our new 11th Gen systems to arrive. (hear amazing improvements on the 11th Gen Tiger Lake chips)
128GB of Ram
RTX5000 Video Cards
1 by 4TB SATA Dirve

We always in practice buy the Lenovo Think Stations and ThinkPads. Lenovo on the Workstation side, really does build good systems, compared to consumer grade gaming systems etc. We never have an issue with ThinkPads and ThinkStations. Consumer grade systems we have a tough time getting a year out of them, before they just stop performing from getting so hot all the time.

Systems configured as such, will reasonably accomplish up to about 2000 Scan Stations assembled into a single bundle. It does get a little long in the tooth waiting for optimizations once you get all the links created and are trying to run final C2C adjustments on 10,000 or more links.

For Import and Export the M.2 Drives can add up to a 40% speed increase compared to SATA depending on how you configure everything, and where you keep your files etc. For us, when working on Register360 or Cyclone, everything is done 100% local on Machine, even the CLM for Leica is local to the Machine. We only Back-up to server.
I'm just curoius if you have statistics for import time, if you really see 40% improvement with NVME SSD, Could you share an import log file (4k HDR image imports)?
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

badam wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:37 pm
RJGEOMATICS wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:26 am For Laptops We Run:

128GB of Ram
RTX5000 Video Cards
1 by 4TB SATA Dirve

I'm just curoius if you have statistics for import time, if you really see 40% improvement with NVME SSD, Could you share an import log file (4k HDR image imports)

After I get through this 1.2 milion Square Foot job. I'll pull up some older RTC data and throw it back through the Ringer. Even Leica Reps support the Advanced Import times on NVME compared to Sata.

Or so you are comparing apples to apples can simulate 15 stations on a Laptop. Just get a 2 week trial of Register360, and install it on a Standalone Laptop where you have 2 NVME drives. One drive where your project exists, and one drive (Different Drive) where your temp files go.

See picture attached where Ken Jones from Leica even clearly states the 40% increase. Image attached as it is from the BLK360 group on FB.
Ken Jones Import Times.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by badam »

if i can see log files then i'll believe it, till then just sales reps tells what the users wants.

we have licenses, and a statistics with more than 40 thousand setups as well, and i don't think that it would change much.
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

badam wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:11 pm if i can see log files then i'll believe it, till then just sales reps tells what the users wants.

we have licenses, and a statistics with more than 40 thousand setups as well, and i don't think that it would change much.
We all have methods. More than one way to skin a Cat... We just go to Server when backing up along the way. We never liked or had much success with Network solutions. Even at that, we actually burn Copies to old Rotary Hard Drives, and just store them in 2 different locations, like field books. One Pocket drive for each project.

We have licenses and been using RTC360 since it's release. Before that we were using Register360 with Both BLK360 and P20 data, and prior to that we ran Scan Station 2's and still running C10, P40, RTC360 and BLK360's.

We love having standalone, and all SSD. Works really well on our end. Being Intel has also been fantastic for us. We are getting a loaner P620 to try Ryzen. But for now, we'll be staying with our Intel and Nividia solutions.

You like Ryzen. We like our INtels. I really don't see changing on my end. Also for the support, I can't see moving away from Lenovo. They have been rocksolid in the service department. The delay in 11th Gen Laptop processors has been a disappointment, but I can't 100% blame that on Lenovo. Bought them August, I'll wait for delivery. With the Laptops being all over the place, we also love the international next day tech cpu support. It really does work. I have had parts fedexed to 3 different countries on 3 different continents from Lenovo, and a local tech is there waiting to install the replacements. That kind of coverage around the globe is of huge importance to us, as we travel often and are very often split back and forth between Spain and Canada.
Groothedde-ing
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Pascal Groothedde
Company Details: Architectural engineering company
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Groothedde-ing »

We get speeds of 4:30 hours for importing 150 med. res. HDR image RTC360 scans (+/- 1:48 minute import time per scan). How does this compare to the speeds you guys get? We have the storage folder and the temp folder both on a separate Samsung 860EVO 4TB SSD.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by badam »

Groothedde-ing wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:51 am We get speeds of 4:30 hours for importing 150 med. res. HDR image RTC360 scans (+/- 1:48 minute import time per scan). How does this compare to the speeds you guys get? We have the storage folder and the temp folder both on a separate Samsung 860EVO 4TB SSD.
what kind of image resolutions you use 1024,2048,4096,5120?

in one of the topic i already shared an excel table what kind of speeds we get ( attached the same here). With different settings. We got this when the project and the import source is stored on the same NAS. nothing stored locally.

if you share your log file i can create a similar excel based on that you can find the log files in

%programdata%\Leica Geosystems\Logs\Register360_log.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”