Advice on servers/network

Please post discussions that do not fit into any other category.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Advice on servers/network

Post by badam »

it really depends on what you usually do. But cloud will always be slower then an on premise (lan) solution. And i don't think that a registation software will ever use a cloud solution that would require huge amount of bandwidth. unless they works like a remote desktop.

there are part of them could be online like recap's mesh creator.

For deliver pointcloud this is possible that the cloud solution will take over. But for registration, processing i don't think so it ever will.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

RJGEOMATICS wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:18 pm Even when working myself, I never mix Field and office.
I started using my ''remote desktop app'' its a google app that allows me to control a pc with my phone. It's amazing, it uses your google email for acces, works threw vpn etc. Funny thing is that I use it when on the field in between scans to work on my processing of other jobs (either controlling a pc at the office or at my place, I have 4 PC setup on that app that I can select). If I only have 1 scanner with me and do not need to use the total station I have lots of free time on my hands to do this. If I run 2 or 3 scanners(yeah I do that sometimes) at the same time, then I usually have my hand fulls and dont even touch the phone.
RJGEOMATICS
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:30 pm
RJGEOMATICS wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:18 pm Even when working myself, I never mix Field and office.
I started using my ''remote desktop app'' its a google app that allows me to control a pc with my phone. It's amazing, it uses your google email for acces, works threw vpn etc. Funny thing is that I use it when on the field in between scans to work on my processing of other jobs (either controlling a pc at the office or at my place, I have 4 PC setup on that app that I can select). If I only have 1 scanner with me and do not need to use the total station I have lots of free time on my hands to do this. If I run 2 or 3 scanners(yeah I do that sometimes) at the same time, then I usually have my hand fulls and dont even touch the phone.
Of course if you want, can do that... I even for S&Gs made a video years ago of me running between 3 BLK360 scanners and 2 C10 scanners.
Problem is, it is not scalable. Means you need be the person at every job. Businesses need be scalable, and hiring people is complicated. And the more hats you expect an employee to wear, the harder is to hire one, and the more onboarding time that is required.
Especially when you get into Union sites, where only Union Employees can operate the scanners and you need hire off of the Union Board. Management and office processors don't need be union on these jobs, but anyone operating gear in the field does need be union.

This is why we keep roles very separate. we can't scale up and down to service client needs, if we have Jack of all Trades out in the field. So we go with the surgical precision, directed approach.

I can't split myself in 3 to service different sites... But I can send three Laborers out to grab the data.

Must also state, in due diligence having employees focus on tablets and phones, while they are at an active site scanning, is very poor safety practice and takes their attention away from the job at hand. I am sure Workers Compensation would have a hay day with a company if they learned an employee was being instructed to complete office work via a tablet, while they were at site scanning. I definitely wouldn't want open myself or my company up to that liability

The push button field functionality of BLK360 and RTC360, have made this very easy to achieve in scanning. Also even with the P40 we just have them do some simple push button scanning. C10 we have Favorite scan all programmed to be optimized for FF/FL jobs, so again, we can have anyone that knows how to level a tribrach, out in the field scanning.

Also why burn myself out. Especially if you work for a company. Actually when I managed Construction Services at WSP, employees that tried to do more in the field, hurt the system as then we couldn't freely assign crews to different jobs daily. Or call crew and say just stop by here on your drive and do this quickly, here is the job number. There is specific reasons for distinct roles and organization, especially in larger companies. Staffing is an issue, and the Jack of all trades isn't a scalable or sustainable model as a company expands, especially if it sees rapid expansion.

Return to “Any Other Issues”