I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mark
Company Details: Aus Scan
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Istar pulsar explorer backpack

Post by Ausscan »

We have a project that requires a large amount of spherical imaging with the intent to produce a Street View like package for the client.

Has anyone completed a similar task like this before?

What gear did you use, software etc

Thanks
WingmanMedia
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mike Lysov
Company Details: Wingman Media
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: mlysov
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Istar pulsar explorer backpack

Post by WingmanMedia »

I have not done scanning from backpack(waiting for my BLK360 to be shipped to me) but I use it to record GSV(Google Street View) from it with a professional 360 camera.

I had a look at many camera backpacks and some of them are quite pointless(can support only lightweight camera) while others just are quite expensive.

How heavy is the thing you want to use a backpack with?

I have built my own for a 500g Pilot Era. It can actually be ok with more heavier camera.

Here are details how I built my onw. It is easier than you think https://www.facebook.com/Decoroo/posts/3979848018722217
PatHughes
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Patrick Hughes
Company Details: Position Partners
Company Position Title: Customer Success Manager

Post by PatHughes »

Hi Mark,

Have you considered using a Navvis VLX to capture high quality sphericals which can then be used in the Ivion platform. It would result in a google street like application where you can move around the area with ease.

If you don't need the 3d scan information it would be quite an expensive solution compared to the Istar, but it also may provide another valuable data set that could be leveraged by the end client.

Feel free to send me a PM if you would like to explore the idea as I think there are pro's and con's.
WingmanMedia
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by WingmanMedia »

If there is no need in 3D data it is only a question how it needs to be delivered. If you want to deliver it as Google Street View there are a few 360 cameras that can create a special video to be submitted to Google to turn it into spherical panos placed on a road/street with equal intervals to turn that path into a blue line. It does not even need to have a path/street marked on Google Maps as Google extracts location data from each frame and place them according to this data.

I do these blue lines all the time on streets, pedestrian walks & trails in Parks. The last one I have done is for my client to show & walk trough their mini golf course. See it at https://goo.gl/maps/sioekZ8xXmN6YgJh6

This has been done from 32MP frames extracted from 8K special GSV(Google Street View) mode video. This particular service was not intended at the client site. I was doing 3D Matterport tours for their venues but I had some time left from booked time and I decided to run quickly through the course holding my camera above my head just to give the client a bit extra.

If something like this sitting on Google servers will do for you the following cameras can do the same with lesser than 32MP resolution.
They are
Ricoh Theta V, Ricoh Theta Z1 and probably any model of Insta360 360 one click camera such as One X and One X2. If you want 32MP Pilot Era and Pilot One EE will do 32MP. Insta360 Pro 1/2 and Titan can do it too but they are from around $5000(Pro 1 or Pro2 with 8K) to more than $10 000-13000(11K Titan) price tag
Submission to Google are either built in the apps controlling these cameras or can be done through desktop software.
WingmanMedia
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by WingmanMedia »

I forgot to mention that GSV video will only work outdoor as your smartphone controlling the camera need to see satellites to get its position and record it into each video frame.

If it is indoor a 360 simple video recorded on the cameras above may do the job but then you will have it as a video. You can pace it on Youtube(it supports 360 video) and give a link to your client. The client can play it seeing it is moving inside a space. When they want something to inspect they can pause it at any spot and rotate as a still 360 degree frame.

There is also an option to strip frames from indoor 360 video at any specific interval using some free tool and turn single spheres it into a tour using kuuala or any online virtual tour platform. If you use Pano2VR or 3D Vista this two standalone desktop software can build a virtual tour for offline viewing to be used directly on the client pc/network.
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

I have done this task before. I use the Insta360 Pro 2 and a great bit of software called PANO2VR.

Return to “VR Virtual Reality”