Insert multiple .E57 or point clouds into a single project.

Discuss PointCab software here.
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Insert multiple .E57 or point clouds into a single project.

Post by Augusto 3D »

hello everyone,
I have two registered points clouds that I exported from another software in E57.
One contains part of the building, and the other contains another part of the building. Think interior vs exterior for instance.
The data was captured by a TLS.

When I create the project I am able to select both E57 files and under "scan positions, I see two scan locations - so far so good. I am unsure of what the "cluster" checkbox does but could this be the culprit?

What I want to be able to do (which I am not able to) is to turn off specific scan locations as I make new floor slices and sections to clarity. However inside Pointcad or in this case "Draw" those checkboxes are greyed out and everything seems to be clustered as "Base"

In addition, what is the workflow for adding
cluster.JPG
base.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Insert multiple .E57 or point clouds into a single project.

Post by Augusto 3D »

That doesn't for the trick. Can someone please help, is what I am trying to do possible?
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Augusto 3D »

20 views no one knows? yikes.
maybe I am asking something too advanced? come on guys, point cab is supposed to be a powerful software, what am I doing wrong?
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Doesn't work with my 3.9 (and as i recall was also the case) also but in 4.0 this is resolved.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by VXGrid »

crullier wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:39 pm hello everyone,
I have two registered points clouds that I exported from another software in E57.
One contains part of the building, and the other contains another part of the building. Think interior vs exterior for instance.

When I create the project I am able to select both E57 files and under "scan positions, I see two scan locations - so far so good. I am unsure of what the "cluster" checkbox does but could this be the culprit?

What I want to be able to do (which I am not able to) is to turn off specific scan locations as I make new floor slices and sections to clarity. However inside Pointcad or in this case "Draw" those checkboxes are greyed out and everything seems to be clustered as "Base"

Hi Augusto

My assumption is that your E57 data was not read as a structured point cloud, but rather an unstructured one.
If Origins / Draw is not able to resolve the data structured from an E57, then it is read unstructured.
This results in your issue, that you can't disable/enable single scans (it would not help you if you could, because the data layout is changed for unstructured data in the software).

It is very easy to see if the data is structured or not in the software, if it is structured and you open the project you should see your scan positions as coloured round circles with the scan name next to it.

Please contact [email protected] so we can have a look together and see if we can fix the issue.

BTW: From which software were the E57 files generated?
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Augusto 3D »

VXGrid wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:52 am
crullier wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:39 pm hello everyone,

Hi Augusto

My assumption is that your E57 data was not read as a structured point cloud, but rather an unstructured one.
If Origins / Draw is not able to resolve the data structured from an E57, then it is read unstructured.
This results in your issue, that you can't disable/enable single scans (it would not help you if you could, because the data layout is changed for unstructured data in the software).

It is very easy to see if the data is structured or not in the software, if it is structured and you open the project you should see your scan positions as coloured round circles with the scan name next to it.

Please contact [email protected] so we can have a look together and see if we can fix the issue.

BTW: From which software were the E57 files generated?

Hi we sent an email with a link to this thread to see if someone can offer some insight.
the E57 files are not structured as you mentioned. But the point clouds are registered to each other. We want to be able to mix all kinds of data and turn off point clouds we don't want to see rasterized when we create sections for export inside of Draw.
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Post by max72 »

If the clouds are in different E57 you should be able to switch the single scans on or off.
Moreover in the advanced importer menu there is a cluster tab where you can rearrange and group them. It would be nice to have a little bit more flexibility, but it works rather well.

Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by VXGrid »

max72 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:04 pm If the clouds are in different E57 you should be able to switch the single scans on or off.
Moreover in the advanced importer menu there is a cluster tab where you can rearrange and group them. It would be nice to have a little bit more flexibility, but it works rather well.

Massimo
Yes this is possible, but unfortunately this is Draw version 3.5, where dis-/enabling clusters with unstructured scan data is not possible in the Job Editor, it needs to be done in the Advanced Importer -> Cluster tab, before creating a new Layout/Section.
Furthermore to separate the E57 files into multiple clusters they need to be imported into different Draw projects and then combined by using the LSDx file, so multiple E57 files are not mixed together into idenical LSD files.

The upcoming version has a much simpler workflow regarding this identical to the one in Origins 4.0 :)
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Post by max72 »

VXGrid wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:21 pm
max72 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:04 pm If the clouds are in different E57 you should be able to switch the single scans on or off.

Massimo
Yes this is possible, but unfortunately this is Draw version 3.5, where dis-/enabling clusters with unstructured scan data is not possible in the Job Editor, it needs to be done in the Advanced Importer -> Cluster tab, before creating a new Layout/Section.
Furthermore to separate the E57 files into multiple clusters they need to be imported into different Draw projects and then combined by using the LSDx file, so multiple E57 files are not mixed together into idenical LSD files.

The upcoming version has a much simpler workflow regarding this identical to the one in Origins 4.0 :)
I see.
I must say that pointcab/Origins is constantly improving in many ways, and every version offers some nice touches to simplify the workflow of a great tool.

Thanks,
Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net

Return to “PointCab”