Input on Best Handheld/Backpack Scanner

Apple iPhone & iPad, Artec3D, ASUS Xtrion, Creaform, DotProduct DPI-8S &DPI-10, FARO Freestyle, G0-Scan, Mantis Vision, Microsoft Kinect, Noomeo, THOR3D, ZEB1, viDoc RTK Rover etc.
timothy.mckinney
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Timothy McKinney
Company Details: Michael Baker International
Company Position Title: Survey Project Manager

Input on Best Handheld/Backpack Scanner

Post by timothy.mckinney »

Looking for opinions on the best backpack or handheld scanner and would love some input! List of considerations are:
  1. Scanner takes high quality imagery. If the scanner cannot natively take high quality imagery then it can support the use of external 360 cameras (potentially the iStar Pulsar or similar)
  2. Data will be used for collaboration and BIM on ongoing construction projects. We are the surveyors on the project and need to have the data referenced to the project coordinate system. Would default to a more accurate solution if possible.
  3. Ease of use and software that goes with/is used for registration etc. is solid and easy to use.
  4. Team is familiar with many lidar softwares including Leica Cyclone, ReCAp, Trimble.
Here are some products I have researched:
  1. Leica BLK2GO (imagery seems sub par for what we are looking for)
  2. Leica Pegasus: Backpack
  3. Leica ProScan
  4. LiBackPack DGC50 or C50 (not very familiar with this)
  5. Geoslam Products
Thanks!
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Input on Best Handheld/Backpack Scanner

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

timothy.mckinney wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:15 pm Looking for opinions on the best backpack or handheld scanner and would love some input! List of considerations are:
  1. Scanner takes high quality imagery. If the scanner cannot natively take high quality imagery then it can support the use of external 360 cameras (potentially the iStar Pulsar or similar)
  2. Data will be used for collaboration and BIM on ongoing construction projects. We are the surveyors on the project and need to have the data referenced to the project coordinate system. Would default to a more accurate solution if possible.
  3. Ease of use and software that goes with/is used for registration etc. is solid and easy to use.
  4. Team is familiar with many lidar softwares including Leica Cyclone, ReCAp, Trimble.
Here are some products I have researched:
  1. Leica BLK2GO (imagery seems sub par for what we are looking for)
  2. Leica Pegasus: Backpack
  3. Leica ProScan
  4. LiBackPack DGC50 or C50 (not very familiar with this)
  5. Geoslam Products
Thanks!
well, just how long until the VLX group chirps in. LOL...

As for external camera support. Technically you have that potential with anyone. You just need become a little familiar with Agisoft, or 3DF Zephyr. creative solutions to every need.

As a really cheap alternative to get imagery, you can even just do the Ricoh Theta Z1 with Kuula Tour. So many ways of doing Imagery. But Agisoft is well worth a look. And AgisSoft does support Structured PointCloud data now. Or go big guns and get 3DF Zephyr.

I am partial to the BLK2GO. Size is amaizing. Ease of use. Works inside of Register360. Can mix and match the BLK2GO data with other terrestrial data inside of Register360.

key to BLK2GO we have found. Keep it to Closed loop walks, both starting and ending the walk with a 15 second spin in Puck. Keep those walks to approximately no more than 3 Minutes.
-Scanner is in Puck
-Start Walk
-Leave Spin in puck for approximately 15 seconds
-Leaving Puck in place, pick up the scanner and do your walk
-return to the puck within approximately 3 minutes
-place scanner back in puck (being the same location as the walk originated from)
-leave scanner spinning for 15 seconds
-finish walk
-move buck upline
-place puck within the previous area scanned ensuring substantial overlap to previous walk
-repeat and repeat and repeat till you cover your entire project.

Each of those small closed loop walks can then be registered and corrected separately to control or terrestrial lidar etc..
If you get a few corupted walks, no problem, you still have more than enough data to complete your project
Problem with large walks, is the SLAM drifts more and more as time passes. Also if the walk corrupts, then you lose everything. So better to do more small walks, in so many ways.
Carbix
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Loney
Company Details: Excelsior Measuring
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Carbix »

As a member of the VLX group... Just get a VLX or M6.

Nothing is perfect but they are most close, currently.
Daniel Loney - Owner
Excelsior Measuring inc.
Vancouver - Okanagan - Calgary
www.ExcelsiorLevel.com
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

Note that the VLX has a ratio when processing the data 1:7 that’s mean when you scan 1 hour it needs 7 hours to process the data. That’s the only drackback of it.
Leica pro scan is perfect but to heavy for buildings.
Geoslam can scan 15-20 minutes with the right technique without any drift problems.
Also note an accuracy of 2-3 cm in Slam technology is acceptable for construction?
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

Depends to some extent on use case, where different units have strengths and weaknesses. Pegasus backpack with built in RTK does a good job for external topographic work and isn't reliant on SLAM techniques for adjustment in this scenario, see following for an example. Heavy processing delays aside, VLX gives a wonderful point cloud and supports additional external control. Zeb Horizon can also be drone mounted and used for aerial work. Price also varies significantly between these units.

My advice as always is get a demo that is based on your own specific requirements and use cases, which is full field to finish, from all the vendors and do a comparison on that basis. Also ask about ongoing service and support costs, turnaround times where kit is being serviced and whether there are options of loaner or reduced cost hire kit during down time. If you get demos from different vendors for their kit, make sure you can take away the resultant data for testing and comparison purposes. Look for comparative noise between systems, and ideally have a few known coordinated points at different positions so you can also check for drift.

Edit: This recent discussion is also worth looking at; viewtopic.php?f=69&t=18082
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “Hand Held Scanners”