Payment for surveyors around the globe

Is your company expanding or simply on the look out for experinced laser scanner users then you can try to recruit staff here.
MagicBrou
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Julian Weber
Company Details: Stadt Reutlingen
Company Position Title: director of engineering surveying

Payment for surveyors around the globe

Post by MagicBrou »

Hey Guys

I am thinking about working abroad, since i want to Take another step Up in my carreer and I want to know what the payment is for a surveyor in Others countries Like the USA or Australia etc...

I am a chefe surveyor in Germany with much Experience in construction surveying and Laserscanning/photogrammetry and i get about 70000usd/year.

Ordinary surveyors get about 40-50000usd/year.

Problem is, Nobody Here wants me to pay more than 70k Here, even Not the biggest companys.

Ist it worth to Go abroad?
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Payment for surveyors around the globe

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

As a Professional Surveyor in Canada it is possible to get slightly more. But the real money, is being a survey manager for a large Design Build Firm or Construction company, with no relation to Legal Survey. Actually many Design Build Firms and construction have Carpenters and other professionals as their survey managers. In the Legal Professional Land Survey you do not see anywhere near the rates that a Construction Layout Person/Surveyor can get. If you get a position as Survey manager (No relation to being a professional surveyor) you can see $150,000 or more a year. As a professional surveyor in a survey firm the more realistic average is $85,000 to $115,000.

Managing a construction Project on Layout is 10 times the pressure and stress of a land Surveyor, but you do get rewarded from it in monetary value. That being said, be prepared for 10 hour days, and stress that will test you to the max. And it is nothing like looking after some contract layout as a survey company on contract. When you are a manager for a Design Build you are in the line of sight and involved in all budget meetings and scheduling etc... I worked for all variety from Geomatics Firms, to Civil Engineers to Construction Design Build companies. The Geomatics firms are substantially lower pay. Civil Engineering firms are the happy medium, so if you have some design and materials testing background etc. the Civil Engineering firms where they use Geomatics Instruments is definitely the happy medium with larger salaries than a Geomatics Firm. If you want be in the pressure cooker and earn a larger salary, then being in a senior role with a Design Build Firm is definitely the rout to do.
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by stutosney »

If you are interested in Aus/NZ, have a loo on seek.com. They regularly advertise jobs with salaries, or at least brackets.

As mentioned, depends what level you are as well. You can go in as just a laser scanner/surveyor and earn $80kAUD or go in as a licensed surveyor and earn $150,000AUD+. Oz also massively depends on location, if you do FIFO work you can earn huge money. Talk to some recruiters, they will fill you in.
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development

Post by VXGrid »

Now I'm curious what 70k $$ German anual pre-tax translates to in the US, Canada or Australia.
Of course cost of living is completely depending on where you live in a country.
On the other hand the taxes itself are bound to the content of the welfare state.

What do you need to earn in these countries to have a family + 2 vaccations/year + saving up for retirement?
Assuming you life in a town with max 2 million inhabitants.
btylutki
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Bart Tylutki
Company Details: KSE
Company Position Title: HDS Manager

Post by btylutki »

Current union heavy construction wages for Party Chief are $84.60/hour + $25/h benefits in NYC. :D
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: The Yard Brisbane
Company Position Title: Manager - 3D Design and Scanning

Post by Mike Annear »

VXGrid wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:13 pm Of course cost of living is completely depending on where you live in a country.
I remember moving from Western Australia to England for work 20 years ago, I was thrilled to be getting paid nearly twice as much, until I realized the cost of living was 3 times as much :) Now, in 2021, the median price for a house in Sydney is $1,300,000 AUD and Melbourne $974,397 AUD.

Mining surveyors make pretty good money here in Australia, but they make a lot of sacrifices working FIFO, 12 hour days, hot environments etc.
Mike.
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

Mike Annear wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:35 pm
VXGrid wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:13 pm Of course cost of living is completely depending on where you live in a country.
I remember moving from Western Australia to England for work 20 years ago, I was thrilled to be getting paid nearly twice as much, until I realized the cost of living was 3 times as much :) Now, in 2021, the median price for a house in Sydney is $1,300,000 AUD and Melbourne $974,397 AUD.

Mining surveyors make pretty good money here in Australia, but they make a lot of sacrifices working FIFO, 12 hour days, hot environments etc.
Mike.
I would say this has since reversed. I left the UK for the Oz (Perth then Melbourne) and NZ (Wellington) and they are a lot more expensive than the UK. I also lived in Dublin last year and that was obscenely expensive for rentals (more than Melbourne and Wellington) and I was paid considerably less than I was on in Oz/NZ. Plus, beaches were nice in Perth!
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

stutosney wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:02 pmI would say this has since reversed. I left the UK for the Oz (Perth then Melbourne) and NZ (Wellington) and they are a lot more expensive than the UK. I also lived in Dublin last year and that was obscenely expensive for rentals (more than Melbourne and Wellington) and I was paid considerably less than I was on in Oz/NZ. Plus, beaches were nice in Perth!
Dublin really has become ridiculously expensive for both rental and property purchase, makes it very tough on younger people trying to get out on their own. I think there's very little sense in talking salary differences from one country to the next without fully accounting for cost of living. Much as I love Ireland, very difficult to recommend it as a country to move to on that basis.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
MajorDomo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Major Domo
Company Details: VeritasVfx
Company Position Title: ceo

Post by MajorDomo »

smacl wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:20 pm
stutosney wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:02 pmI would say this has since reversed. I left the UK for the Oz (Perth then Melbourne) and NZ (Wellington) and they are a lot more expensive than the UK. I also lived in Dublin last year and that was obscenely expensive for rentals (more than Melbourne and Wellington) and I was paid considerably less than I was on in Oz/NZ. Plus, beaches were nice in Perth!
Dublin really has become ridiculously expensive for both rental and property purchase, makes it very tough on younger people trying to get out on their own. I think there's very little sense in talking salary differences from one country to the next without fully accounting for cost of living. Much as I love Ireland, very difficult to recommend it as a country to move to on that basis.
www.numbeo.com is a wonderful resource when comparing cost of living I have used it to inform moves more than I care to admit.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

MajorDomo wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:48 pm
smacl wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:20 pm
www.numbeo.com is a wonderful resource when comparing cost of living I have used it to inform moves more than I care to admit.
I just checked with Honolulu (HNL), USA which is number 1 on the list (above NYC) [email protected], [email protected]. Looks like time to figure something else out, especially since the median single family home went up US$200K since last year on this island to US$970K.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]

Return to “Recruitment”