I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Derrick Chan
Company Details: Chan and Chan Engr
Company Position Title: Senior Resident Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

Is TBC necessary for X7

Post by iswift »

Hi all, I’m totally new to 3D scanning and I hope to have some advise from seniors here.

I’m a Surveyor with a Civil Engineering company, we are about to invest in our lst scanning machine and X7 was our chosen model.

The quotation came with an optional TBC software costing sgd $10k, and I would like to ask if it’s necessary since we already got Autodesk Recap.

I saw the TBC demo on the cleaning, defining curb edge, separating some common layers (trees) and producing reports, etc…. I’m not sure if Recap is capable of it.

Being a Surveyor, I’m most particular about Geo-referencing and working with true coordinates, therefore Trimble salesman assured me TBC is more suitable.

Lastly, I hope to hear from Surveyors from the Civil construction to share what they use the scanner for, eg: topography, as built, etc….

Thanks & Stay Safe everyone
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Is TBC necessary for X7

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Forget about recap, only good for visualizing your pointcloud imho.

As most think. I buy an instrument and am done with it. NO, scanning costs money to start with and to maintain. The instrument is only a part of it. Isn't registration software included? But tbc is a good package.

You're having to do some spending to gain some money from scanning
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
ProCro
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Nino Skupnjak
Company Details: SKIMI64
Company Position Title: procurator

Post by ProCro »

Actually, Recap is pretty decent in registration (with good overlap). Many time I'm having trouble registering scans in Scene, but Recap seems to have more robust registration and no trouble.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

iswift wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:22 am Hi all, I’m totally new to 3D scanning and I hope to have some advise from seniors here.

I’m a Surveyor with a Civil Engineering company, we are about to invest in our lst scanning machine and X7 was our chosen model.

The quotation came with an optional TBC software costing sgd $10k, and I would like to ask if it’s necessary since we already got Autodesk Recap.

I saw the TBC demo on the cleaning, defining curb edge, separating some common layers (trees) and producing reports, etc…. I’m not sure if Recap is capable of it.

Being a Surveyor, I’m most particular about Geo-referencing and working with true coordinates, therefore Trimble salesman assured me TBC is more suitable.
TBC is a good option for a surveyor getting into scanning as it has a strong survey background and will be good for total station and GPS work as well. We develop a similar package called SCC (obligatory self promotion ;) ) coming from a survey and engineering background and there are other similar survey and scanning packages out there. If you're getting the X7 and you get on with your local Trimble dealer, TBC makes sense as you have a one stop shop.
Lastly, I hope to hear from Surveyors from the Civil construction to share what they use the scanner for, eg: topography, as built, etc….

Thanks & Stay Safe everyone
For topography, tunnels, rail and outdoor work on larger sites, the Leica P40 probably gives the best results in my opinion and the fact you can back-sight targets and set up on known control is a big plus. Downside is the price tag and the weight, you'll be fit lugging it around all day, but it is a fantastic piece of kit. RTC360 is also a very popular option these days, very fast, light and accurate, though not quite up to the P series. I hear good things about the Riegl and Z+F kit as well, Lieven can probably give you some more info on the former. I've seen some of the works he's done and been impressed with the data. Scanning total stations are an interesting option for the engineering surveyor, e.g. Trimble SX10 / SX12, Leica MSS60 and Topcon GLS-1000. Much slower than dedicated scanners but great for accurate combined scanning and survey, including monitoring and more precise work. Not sure what the range is like on the X7 or how suitable it is for topo work, something to check out before buying it maybe. My approach to purchasing for topo work would be to get each of the vendors to survey the same test area and compare the capture time, download and processing time, and quality of data.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

ProCro wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:56 am Actually, Recap is pretty decent in registration (with good overlap). Many time I'm having trouble registering scans in Scene, but Recap seems to have more robust registration and no trouble.
I don't have real experience with scene (i just tried it with trial but everything seemed to be complicated), but i have around a 1 year experience with recap and then we ditched it, because you have no controll over the registration (optimization, layers slows down the whole project, etc...). Since then we use register360 and it is far better/faster then recap. (import/export is slow, but daily tasks like cleaning/registration is fast)

as for TBC i've never seen that nor TX7, it is not popular in our country. We usually use leica or faro scanners. (rtc360 is the fastest i think and has a good accuracy)
ProCro
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Nino Skupnjak
Company Details: SKIMI64
Company Position Title: procurator

Post by ProCro »

badam wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:59 am
I don't have real experience with scene (i just tried it with trial but everything seemed to be complicated), but i have around a 1 year experience with recap and then we ditched it, because you have no controll over the registration (optimization, layers slows down the whole project, etc...). Since then we use register360 and it is far better/faster then recap. (import/export is slow, but daily tasks like cleaning/registration is fast)
survey points and slices :)

But I belive that cyclone is better software (that comes with the price)
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

I would be inclined to stick to TBC for the Trimble kit - i would also not rely on the results you get on the tablet.

Probably want to avoid Recap out with using it as format for AutoDesk products or for clients to view data in. Not used Scene in years and going by the posts on the forum it still has quite a few issues.

I use Leica Cyclone Core which i find hard to beat....

Return to “Trimble”