I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Matthias S
Company Details: TPI
Company Position Title: 3D-Team Coordinator
Linkedin Profile: No

CAD Model to AVEVA PDMS/E3D

Post by Moc »

Hi,

what are the options to import 3D models of pipe racks into AVEVA PDMS/E3D?

From this post (https://laserscanningforum.com/forum/vi ... 524#p29524), I understand, that importing 3D models from other software is not the best way to get a smooth model. But I am interested in what my options are if we do not have the software/experience to model with Aveva products.

I am particularly interested in the following options:
Autodesk DWG clash detection model --> AVEVA PDMS/E3D: no intelligence, but will I be able to see all the surfaces? Can I import a DWG file directly? Are Converter/Plugins like ISY Plant any good?
Autodesk Revit BIM model --> AVEVA PDMS/E3D: is this a good option to get a decent intelligent model in E3D?
ClearEdge --> AVEVA PDMS/E3D: Is this a reliable solution for piping and steel structures? Will I get E3D compatible libraries?

Or is there only one "real" way: model in AVEVA itself?

Any thoughts/experiences would help. Thank you.
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: The Yard Brisbane
Company Position Title: Manager - 3D Design and Scanning
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: CAD Model to AVEVA PDMS/E3D

Post by Mike Annear »

Have you tried .SAT files ?
I remember someone exporting 3D boat engine room models from Rhino 3D into Aveva Marine using SAT format.
Mike.
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
Graham
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: GrahamM
Company Details: AVEVA
Company Position Title: Software Engineer

Post by Graham »

You might have to be a little more precise on the PDMS version as there are external utilities to read STL and generate PDMS macro, but these are slow for the user and not idea, but will be supported by all versions.

There is the AVEVA Mechanical Equipment interface (MEI) that can read STEP, STL, IGES but stick to STEP as they is poor STL and IGES generators. IFC is also supported I cannot remember if it is supported in PDMS though, not of these importers are free in PDMS, the MEI is part of the E3D license so will not cost your client anything to read the data. I am not sure about the IFC readers though, speak with your client as they might want ot give guidence as how they want the data delivered. I would recommned indvidual models for units and not one thumping great model of everything.

You will get lots of help going to the dedicated forum also.
https://www.avevaworldforum.com/
Moc
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Matthias S
Company Details: TPI
Company Position Title: 3D-Team Coordinator

Post by Moc »

Mike Annear wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:29 am Have you tried .SAT files ?
I remember someone exporting 3D boat engine room models from Rhino 3D into Aveva Marine using SAT format.
Mike.
I wish I could try it, but we don't own the software.
Graham wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:42 am You might have to be a little more precise on the PDMS version as there are external utilities to read STL and generate PDMS macro, but these are slow for the user and not idea, but will be supported by all versions.

There is the AVEVA Mechanical Equipment interface (MEI) that can read STEP, STL, IGES but stick to STEP as they is poor STL and IGES generators. IFC is also supported I cannot remember if it is supported in PDMS though, not of these importers are free in PDMS, the MEI is part of the E3D license so will not cost your client anything to read the data. I am not sure about the IFC readers though, speak with your client as they might want ot give guidence as how they want the data delivered. I would recommned indvidual models for units and not one thumping great model of everything.

You will get lots of help going to the dedicated forum also.
https://www.avevaworldforum.com/
Thanks Graham, that helps already.
Our client is using E3D.
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

Moc wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:48 pm Hi,

what are the options to import 3D models of pipe racks into AVEVA PDMS/E3D?

From this post (https://laserscanningforum.com/forum/vi ... 524#p29524), I understand, that importing 3D models from other software is not the best way to get a smooth model. But I am interested in what my options are if we do not have the software/experience to model with Aveva products.

I am particularly interested in the following options:
Autodesk DWG clash detection model --> AVEVA PDMS/E3D: no intelligence, but will I be able to see all the surfaces? Can I import a DWG file directly? Are Converter/Plugins like ISY Plant any good?
Autodesk Revit BIM model --> AVEVA PDMS/E3D: is this a good option to get a decent intelligent model in E3D?
ClearEdge --> AVEVA PDMS/E3D: Is this a reliable solution for piping and steel structures? Will I get E3D compatible libraries?

Or is there only one "real" way: model in AVEVA itself?

Any thoughts/experiences would help. Thank you.
Talk to Kelly Cone and the Guys at ClearEdge 3D about using Edgewise for this.

Return to “AVEVA Suite”