Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Scene 2021 - Theta Z1 360 camera can now colorize faro scans

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

I just saw this from the release notes for the new scene : https://downloads.faro.com/index.php/s/ ... ile=111283

Apprently you can now use a theta Z1 camera to colorize faro scans...has anyone tried this? Can you still do li-hdr? How good are the results? Anyhow cool to have such feature now available, would love to see some results.
t1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Scene 2021 - Theta Z1 360 camera can now colorize faro scans

Post by TommyMaddox »

I would give about a week for the use and accessory documentation to make its way over to the Knowledge Base and your local reps.

Reading the changelog sheds lots of light on the actual release notes, I think the big color image and announcement actually distracts from the meat and potatoes of what is a really impressive release (atleast for our workflows and volumes).

E57 export with panoramic images: Huge for 3rd party downstream viewer/tools users
E57 import with panoramic images: Huge when Riegl updates their E57 export capabilities
E57 and LAS 4x import performance: Awesome for 3rd party scanner, Riegl, and Drone/ALS/MLS users

The Theta Z1 support without any major hardware changes to a now 5 year old product is truly impressive, I've used some Theta products in the past and being able to capture an HDR 360 pano image nearly instantly is pretty powerful if the image alignment and parallax correction turn out to be dialed in. There's quite a lot of project cases out there that could benefit from a 40-50% reduction in scan time.

Hats off to FARO team for quite the major version release, wonderful birthday present. :D

There's still a laundry list of minor changes desired in SCENE that cost us piles and piles of man hours but this is excellent news for the community as a whole. Really excited to see the SCENE QM and check if there are any changes from the prior ATS release.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Indeed a nice update! I am very curious to know how much time can we save on site doing this method. Currently picture only take (about 1min30sec I think). So I can only assume the camera will have to replace the scan with a quick release system...hence manipulating que equipement. Then get out of the way of the instant 360 picture, get phone open app, connect wifi to camera (cause battery life of camera is like 3h so you need to turn it off and on in between scans to do a full day) and take picture and then swap scan and camera again... I think that could easily take 1minute and maybe more processing time afterwards. Altough while all this is happening maybe you could setup the scanner on a secondary tripod and do a scan there. Really curious to know how this all works and if the quality trade off is worth it for speed. Then it might just be too fast and you wouldn't be able to use this with targets since you would have your hands full :/

As for the e57 export we were using the fls to rcp to e57 complete route. Having it directly in scene is nice tough but not ground breaking.

The e57 with full pano import will finnally allow me to delete scene 5.5 from my computer (cause yeah scene 5.5 supported full pano import, most e57 complete export from recap worked). So I used 5.5 for those cross plateform projects. Having 2021 work with the full pano will make things so much easier, I sometimes mix P40 and faro scans. Or our calgary office will purchase a reigl scanner, might find some use there as well.

Looking foward to testing out the Z1 feature. If someone has some beta user experience please share it with us :)
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sim.herrod »

We've kind of gone the opposite direction.

We used to use an Insta360 One R to produce virtual tours. So on a job where we were scanning as well, it would be scan with S150 and when that room/area was done, take Insta images.

After thinking about it, we realised the panos from the scanner are way higher resolution than a 360 camera, so now we just scan and export the panos from Scene.

On jobs where we only want a virtual tour, we just do a very low res, very quick scan, but still take images. Yes it's slower than using a 360 camera, but the resolution is way higher, and it's still quicker than faffing around with a DSLR/Nodal Ninja set-up.

We're about to take delivery of a NAvVis VLX, so things will no doubt change again.

Nice to see Faro still developing and moving forward though.
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: The Yard Brisbane
Company Position Title: Manager - 3D Design and Scanning
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Mike Annear »

More developments...
FARO buys HoloBuilder, bolstering project site documentation capabilities.
https://www.geoweeknews.com/news/faro-b ... pabilities

I have used Theta 360 cameras in the past, fantastic bits of kit.
Mike.
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

"While other digital twin platforms can take in 360° photospheres, this combination of FARO and HoloBuilder is touted by FARO as the first to integrate the continuous 360° capture capabilities within a digital twin platform. "

To be fair to world first, cintoo already does all this with great integration, hence in my opinion Faro isn't breaking ground here but just catching up.

Return to “FARO”